Skip to content

Discuss This Marc Marquez remains upbeat after disaster Down Under MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Marc Marquez remains upbeat after disaster Down Under

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Marc Marquez remains upbeat after disaster Down Under

Spaniard Marc Marquez refused to be too downbeat after he saw his commanding MotoGP world championship lead slashed in half after a disastrous Phillip Island race.Marquez knew going into the Australian clash that if he scored eight points more than Yamaha rival Jorge Lorenzo, he would clinch a historic first premier class crown.A dramatic weekend though dominated by major Bridgestone...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 332 days ago (21 October 2013 09:46)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

What a pathetic and farcical race. As for the incident between Marc and Jorge, Marc clearly left space on the inside of the corner for Jorge to use, Jorge went in too hot. Why is that Marc's fault?

Whoever was in charge of the pit lane and that ridiculously long speed limit needs to be flogged. the tyre manufacturer needs to be flogged, the race director needs to be flogged and for the love of God please, please, please stop mentioning Moaner FFS!!!

I have the feeling Steve Parrish on the BBC is in love with him! I certainly don't want him back, with him back they'll all start crying that the other rider got too close!! Can you imagine Moaner and Marc bashing fairings(!)

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

MM team got it wrong

They interpreted "must not complete more than 10 laps" as being able to complete 10 full laps, then come in on lap 11 which meant they didn't complete 11 laps - due to the positioning of the HRC pit.

They were wrong because as soon as he started lap 11 he had exceeded 10 laps. The directive also said, so that there was no misinterpretation - "come in at the end of lap 9 or 10".

If they came in at the end of 9, they had 10 laps left, if they came in at the end of 10, they had 9 laps left. If they came in at the end of 8, they would have had to pit again to avoid doing over 10 laps on the second tyre. If they came in on lap 11 they'd exceeded 10 laps.

It was a concsious decision by the team who probably thought they'd got an extra lap on tyres that were up to temperature whilst Lorenzo was on his out lap on colder tyres, allowing MM to close the gap. It would also have given them more life in his tyres at the end of the second stint which may have enabled him to pass Lorenzo, or pull away if he'd got 1st when exiting the pits - another possible benefit of staying out 1 lap longer.

They either badly misinterpreted or they thought they were being clever, a bit like Ferrari at Silverstone when Schumacher served a stop and go in the pit lane on the last lap. Problem is, unlike Ferrari having the weight of the FIA and Ecclestone behind them, Honda had no-one to allow a rule breach to go unpunished.

The title is still MM to lose, even if Lorenzo wins the last two, he only has to follow him home to take it - outside circumstances excepted of course such as stuck tyre warmers, injury or a wet race...

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Blue

What a pathetic and farcical race. As for the incident between Marc and Jorge, Marc clearly left space on the inside of the corner for Jorge to use, Jorge went in too hot. Why is that Marc's fault?

Suggest you watch the overhead shot again and you'll see MM joining the track and heading across it towards the apex. Not clever. There is no way he didn't know Pedrosa and Lorenzo were coming. All 3 were together on the track when the pit stops started, so unless they had a severe hold up somewhere or an off-track moment, all 3 would be together again when he rejoined.

The fact he couldn't see them ahead of him when he rejoined meant they were behind him which meant they were going to be very close. It's not rocket science. He chose to move across and it was a stupid thing to do.

That aside, he could have looked over his shoulder before he left the speed limit zone and he would have seen them both hammering down the straight. He chose not to look - see TV footage -  and chose to head for the apex when rejoining.

There really is no excuse for it. As has been pointed out many times, why should Lorenzo have been on one specific line? If he and Pedrosa had been side by side, who knows what position they'd have been in. MM sure as hell wouldn't as he didn't look and it could have been a 3 bike collision. He should have stayed to the left and headed straight for the next corner, he may even have headed them off by holding the inside.

There is a big difference between hard riding and carelessly cutting across the path of a rider already committed to a 100mph+ corner. Just how do you change direction that quickly when leant over at speed. It's a bike not an F1 car.

Reply to this Topic
Slorta

Jul 11

Slorta says:

Marquez

Good to know that he's human after all.

Reply to this Topic
RidgeRacerHRC

Mar 12

bulto and blue

why should marc be be letting the other two in front of him? its a race for goodness sake, hes disputing the lead by the time he came outta the pits. As we've seen this year hes not one to be saying "after you sir, no no after you sir" is he? Again, Marcs penalty i feel is far too harsh for something that Dorna and BS cocked up. In the end the tire didnt hurt anyone else, nor Marc did it? i think a ride through or drop position would have sufficed. But no, Dorna wants to get a "close" championship to manufacter a spectacle towards the end of the season. And now they have it. 

As for you yzrm1, If Marc cant take the title i hope Dani or , dare i say it, Rossi takes the championship ahead of JLO. tantrums in the garage, hypocrital comments aswell as his soppy mood swings have made me resent the brat no matter how good of a rider he is. god forbid him winning another championship.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Marquez did take a look as he approached the end of the pitlane, TWICE..the final time just as he re-joined the race track. As he crosses the line he is leading the race and it becomes the responsibility of the rider behind and in 2nd place - Lorenzo - to pass safely.

Marquez is trying to control a wheelying 250bhp GP bike, banging up through the gears, leant over while taking care to stay left and not cross the white line on a very narrow exit - a task Pedrosa failed to do, earning him the drop place penalty.

Marquez' focus is going forward, he is in the lead. Lorenzo can see everything in front and chose to go in hot missing his brake marker and drifted wide. Irresponsible?

Don't know about you..but I find it difficult to sometimes take a good "lifesaver" while busy in traffic when all my protective gear restricts movement and rely on my mirror. RCV's don't have mirrors and I should imagine take a fair bit of concentration to point in the right direction at the best of times.

Many people, including Jorge, were worried about pitlane exit safety before the race. So why having identified the danger did he go barrelling into MM wide of his regular line when he could see?

Analogies of joining the motorway at 50mph and heading straight for the fast lane are selective, unrealistic and display a lack of understanding.

Motorway entry roads are long and straight allowing vehicles to accelerate and match their speed with the main flow..the lengthened speed limit and narrow curved exit at PI didn't allow this.

Perhaps they should have had traffic lights and stopped riders until the track was clear..communicating with a spotter further up the straight who could see what was coming and wasn't blind because of the hump in the track?

No..that wouldn't be racing, would it?

On a side note..most of this MM bashing seems to be emanating from bitter Stoner fans. I wonder why?

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Give it a rest with the Stoner references - tiresome and pathetic and I've no idea what relevance.

He looked over his shoulder once and that was before they had come over the brow of the hill. He could have looked again before he crossed the speed limiter line when he would have clearly seen them. He didn't.

Regardless, he knew they were coming and he blindly moved over towards the apex straight into their path. If you think that's ok then we'll just disagree. He did it to try and close the corner off which is fine if they're both doing the same speed, not when one bike is approaching at a much higher speed because the other is rejoining the track. I think if the two riders involved had been Bautista exiting and Rossi in the corner you'd have a different view.

If you think Lorenzo could have easily changed his line once committed then we'll disagree again

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

So sad..

I'll give it a rest when you stop being a nob. You really ought to try and hide your bias better if you want to regain credibility.

Marquez looked TWICE, the last time not 10 yards from the line designating the end of pitlane and the start of the racetrack. Lorenzo was a dot on the horizon.

Jorge was in 2nd place and didn't pass safely. IMO he bumped MM on purpose with the red mist down.

Marc didn't pull straight into their path and left enough room.

What part of JL braking late and running wide - at his own admission - do you not understand?

He could see Marquez was in the lead and chose to take the risk. He could have avoided the collision.

The fact you've brought Rossi/Bautista into the conversation just shows how desperate you are.

You don't seem to have much of an idea about anything these days?

PS: Check out the re-run on BBC i-player at 1 hour 4 minutes for the crystal clear story..not Bulto's twist. Listen to the commentators. Listen to Lorenzo in Parc Ferme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03g0s9h/MotoGP_2013_Phillip_Island/

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Bulto...

'The directive also said, so that there was no misinterpretation - "come in at the end of lap 9 or 10".'

Which is where they should have said "come in after the start of lap 9 & before the start of lap 11"... so that there was no misinterpretation. If you told someone to come in to the pits at the end of the race would you expect them to pit before the chequered flag?

The fact that Dani did more than 10 laps during the race on his 2nd tyre is also ignored. He did 10 laps + a hundred or so yards. The rule was very clear on that one.

Farce from start to finish.

... & I agree with Wosi on this one... Marc was complying with a race direction in coming into the pits, it wasn't out of choice... they were allowed to overtake in the pits & use it to their advantage therefore it was part of the race (he didn't leave the race & rejoin) so had no obligation to concede the lead or give way... as in any overtaking manoeuvre the rider passing has to ensure he can do so safely.

The fact that they were placed in a situation where they were racing for the lead with such a speed differential is entirely the fault of race direction who should be fined for exposing the riders to such extreme risk in my opinion.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Ha, ha Wosi as inconsistent as ever

Analogies of joining the motorway at 50mph and heading straight for the fast lane are selective, unrealistic and display a lack of understanding.

Just a couple of paragraghs after you referenced in analogy form your cluttered mind of mirror checking and tackle readjustment.

Bulto is bang on in his assessment. Fools like you and grass boy have no idea.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices