Skip to content

Discuss This BMW S1000R and R1200RT unveiled New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > BMW S1000R and R1200RT unveiled

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

BMW S1000R and R1200RT unveiled

BMW’s long-anticipated new S1000RR-based super naked has just been unveiled at the Milan Show and these are the first official pictures. It features a retuned, 160bhp version of the S1000RR’s 999cc inline four engine, an electronics package including BMW’s Race ABS, ASC traction control and two power modes, kerb weight of just 207kg and is expected to be priced under £10,000. The...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 299 days ago (05 November 2013 09:55)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MotorcycleExtremist

May 13

Troll "ElDiabolico"

Not at all troll "ElDiabolico". Do yourself a big favor, and instead of coming on here with your ignorance and trollish idiocy, why don't you actually do some real research, check out the user forums, and educate yoruself a bit instead?

Reply to this Topic
rmbridge

May 06

rmbridge says:

KTM is £14k I thought? If the BMW really is 10k it's a real bargain. I bet that is without the electronics package..

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

For me the main appeal of bikes like the S1000R is their comfortable seating position. Not the fact that they’ve had their faring ripped off and the bhp dialled down so you don't get blown off the bike.  I'll keep my Speed Triple if I want a more relaxed ride.

Give me a S1000RC (Comfort Version) same performance but a more upright seating position. I really like sports bikes but the super aggressive seating position is really uncomfortable at low speeds.

Maybe this is one of the reasons why less people are buying sports bikes. If you look at the old CBR600F that was a really popular bike, sporty, not too bulky and comfortable all at the same time. 

Reply to this Topic
sportbikesi

Jun 13

sportbikesi says:

I can honestly say i agree with pretty much all of your comments.

1) the looks, it doesn't seem like they spent much time thinking about what would look pleasing to the eye BUT it is german and not italian.

2) the price tag, in a nut shell the s1000r is a naked s1000rr so IF it really will be less then 10k to buy why does the s1000rr cost an extra £3,000? thats alot of money for some fairings, like other have said it's probably £9,999 + vat + registration fees + PDI + what ever else they stick on the price of it.

3) the BHP figures why oh why take 30 BHP off it? of course they say stuff like "makes it more ridable in real world riding" or "we've done that to give it more power at low revs" or what ever other bull they come out with. BHP figures sell bikes, if they kept it at the full 190 odd bhp they could market it as the most powerful naked and alot of people would probably buy it because of that. Not that any bike with 150+bhp (sport or naked bike) is ever used to its full potential on the road but it's nice to know its there and feel it occasionally when you get it in 2nd or 3rd gear, take the throttle to the stopper and feel it almost pull your arms off as the front wheel leaves the ground :) people who might buy the s1000r wont use it for commuting or touring, they'll be buying it for a sunday hard-on so give them the full 190bhp to have fun with.

As for 4, 5, or 6 i cant think of anything else but i'm sure i'll think of something at some point. I already know i won't be thinking about buying one mainly because if a fan of sports bikes but even if i was looking for a naked, i dont care how well it might ride, one of the most important things about a bike to me is it's looks and they just don't do it for me, not even the slightest twinge in my pants

Reply to this Topic
plumber01

Feb 12

plumber01 says:

best bm yet

I really like this, and Im not a bmw fan in any way , any chance of an adjustable seat hight and adj pegs?, and its a fair price for a bmw, which are normally at the steep end of the market, and this makes KTM Superduke as saleable as a paper teapot.Looking at the KTM 14k its almost a bargain , I think a test drive could be in order.If it handles anything like its donor sportsbike it wont have any problems selling these in numbers.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

WOW

this looks good but the proof is in the riding.

if it goes ,handles  and is as much fun as a speed triple then look out triumph as nothing has come close so far

lets see if it can compete on price. If so the BMW will be the class leader.

However I like to use my right hand and not electronics to control the ride.

triumph need to move forward fast and increase the fun factor

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

Just a lone voice bigging up the new RT. Like it - despite not making $80 an hour on the interweb..

Reply to this Topic
exceledsteve

Apr 10

exceledsteve says:

R1200RT

I'm with you Paul. The RT is definitely worth a mention. Looks great in the picture... Closer in styling to their 6 cylinder tourer. Should sell well to the faithful and to buyers new to BMW. 

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

I'll be wary of chopping the Trophy in for one as it's been reliable - but the new LC motor in the GS is a riot. Should be a cracker in the RT..

Reply to this Topic
IsraelsRSV

Feb 11

IsraelsRSV says:

s1000r

What a butt ugly bike. Their is no doubt bmw's are fantasticly engineered, value for money is way up there. But who the heck designed the looks? As a z1000 owner I was really looking forward to seeing what is probably going to be the best inline4 naked ever built, would look like. Man what a disappointment. The thing looks sinful. low rating on looks alone.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices