Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi: Right time to replace Jerry Burgess MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi: Right time to replace Jerry Burgess

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi: Right time to replace Jerry Burgess

Valentino Rossi believes now is the right time to part company with legendary Australian chief engineer Jerry Burgess, as the news of their shock split continues to dominate the headlines at the final race in Valencia. Rossi informed Burgess yesterday (Thursday) that he would be replacing him as crew chief for the 2014 season after the story leaked in the Italian...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 314 days ago (08 November 2013 17:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

please please...

I really hope we get to hear exactly what JB said when they first discussed the matter.

Oh well maybe not after all.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Not amazing

The uber politcally powerfull clown fired HRC back then. Then he fired Michelin. Then he broke a leg and fired Yamaha. Then he f****d Ducati up. When will this all end? Oh yeah! He is going to help George this weekend.  Huh? Looks like he is going to win at Ricardo Tormo come Sunday.  Burgess must feel the most relieved bloke in the paddock right now. He, Casey, Mick ,Troy and a bunch of others can enjoy a couple of frosties.

Heaven help his next crew chief.. Judging by what has gone on at M1 this season, Rossi is an absolute liability given HRC's forward march. Hell !! The bloke can't even ride his own Bridgestone deal.

I forgot. He was going to help George. Right!! By keeping Bautista, Crutchlow and the useless VR46/JB Ducati's behind him. The D16's are currently the slowest straight line factory prototypes on the grid.

They don't handle and they are not even fast anymore. Thanks Vale and all the best sans JB.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Hehehe..not bitter then bootlicker27?

He must have been doing summats right to become the most successful premier class winner in history, with 7 titles?

Dunno why I put a question mark there tbh..no chance of getting any sense out of you.

After all..ain't you the geezer who predicted Ben Spies would be more successful on the Ducati than Rossi this year?

FFS..

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

bootleger

If I didnt know better I think that your a closet Valentino fan. Why dont you come on out? Because i think you secretly worship him

Reply to this Topic
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

I can't believe I have just read that. Burgess wanted to stay but Rossi stabs him in the back. He needs to look in the mirror for his problems. Rossi is really showing his true colours now. Loyalty certainly means nothing to him.

Reply to this Topic
73mach3

Oct 12

73mach3 says:

latest girls

Magnanimous to the very end, legendary crewchief Jeremy Burgess didn't throw Valentino Rossi or anyone else involved in his firing under the bus today when speaking with the press at Valencia.

Burgess admitted that what had happened had "blindsided" him, but that he isn't holding a grudge.

"I was more or less hoping, expecting, that two years here with Valentino would have been pretty much it," Burgess said after the official press conference. "I've been aware, over the last two years, that this could stop, for any reason, any one of a number of reasons. If Valentino perhaps hadn't been lucky enough to come back to Yamaha, it could have ended at the end of the Ducati period."

"... as I go to put it into perspective based around what Valentino is looking for going forward, he is looking for somebody to perhaps establish themself with him next year, and then carry on for the next two or three years. So to make the change now, is not altogether crazy," Burgess said.

The manner in which Burgess was let go from the Yamaha MotoGP team was borderline shocking, especially given his history in the sport. Yet Burgess told the press today in the Yamaha hospitality complex that his opinion of Valentino Rossi hasn't changed. "There's been too many good times," the Australian said, "and Valentino has always been up front, honest, and speaks what he wants and how he wants things. So when he said to me yesterday that this is what he wanted, for me, it's more important that the future of Valentino, going forward, is the priority, and always has been my priority, too. To do anything to prevent that taking place, is not really being helpful."

But couldn't it have been handled in a slightly more dignified way, especially give the history and accomplishments of Burgess and Rossi?

"I think I'm dignified," answered Burgess. "I think he's dignified. I think you have to say what you ... and be open, as we always have been with each other. I don't see that it was going to be easy for him. I think he would have given it a lot of thought. He will have a lot of reasons why he thinks it's going to be better. Again, enormous pressure, because now something has to happen, and this is what we're hoping for. This change is as simple as a mechanical change. It's a movement of people, but with the intention of moving the project further along, and ... It's the right decision always, because it's the decision we need to make to change something to go forward in time, in performance. It can only be judged at some time in the future."

The more he spoke the more Burgess cemented himself as a man that few can realistically hope to emulate in terms of his humbleness and self-control. He actually defended Rossi's decision to fire him.

"I think everybody has to make decisions that they think, in their life, are going to be better for them. We're not here to appease everybody. He's here to do a job. He thinks that he can, and I believe also that perhaps this is a good move. If it re-ignites a spark that he needs to find himself, then the job has been a success," Burgess said

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Thanks mach3..

What a Guy JB is..

You can't fault Rossi's reasoning, just the way it's become a little bit of a loose cannon with that radio station breaking the news after the story was leaked.

Given complete control over the affair, I'm sure things would have looked better. 

Same thing with Stoner and Honda leaking stuff about his retirement. 

Messy.

As Rossi said earlier.."Fking journalists"

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

I will miss JB's comments when he was intervieuwed on the telly. He didn't even have to talk to see his passion for bike racing. Personally i would like to see JB get involved with Jack Miller at KTM. Miller is an Aussie and a propper ridder IMO. JB should be settled money wise, so bringing an Aussie to the top could be tempting.

Reply to this Topic
aintnothin

Apr 12

aintnothin says:

Well...

You can change the bike, the tires, the rider, or your chief mechanic.

Really can only change the mechanic at this point.  But it's still puzzling.  Is there a mechanic that knows the M1 better?  Maybe.  Is there one who knows Rossi better?  Probably not.

But maybe what Rossi needs is someone who can help him adapt his riding style to fit the bike/tires?  Maybe Burgess has lost his ability to know what to do and is not keeping an open mind?

The other option is that Rossi is past-it, but he has 1 more year before Yamaha decides to change riders, so Rossi needed to make some kind of move.

Reply to this Topic
Popski

Feb 09

Popski says:

perhaps a change of Chief Mechanic will make an improvement in Valle's performance let's hope so as he's been a little lacklustre for the past couple of years but in mho he is now 'on the down' and the 'young guns' have taken over which is probably as it should be. No one can doubt his monumental talent but maybe the time has come to move on. That tragic and frightful accident that he was involved in that resulted in the death of Marco Simoncelli can only have had a cataclysmic effect on his confidence and ability to ride at 100%. To me it makes as much sense as it would has of firing Churchill halfway through WW2.....I hope I'm wrong !.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices