Skip to content

Discuss This Litre sportsbikes for less than £3,000 General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Litre sportsbikes for less than £3,000

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN Staff  says:

Litre sportsbikes for less than £3,000

1998/99 Yamaha YZF-R1In 1998 theYamaha YZF-R1 arrived and rewrote the rulebook when it came to litre sportsbikes. Where the FireBlade had effectively created the genre in 1992, the R1 moved the game on a giant leap by introducing new technology that brought with it both incredible power figures and previously unheard of levels of handling. Fifteen years later this revolutionary...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 351 days ago (14 November 2013 17:36)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Blade

I am currently riding an 03 Blade with well over 40k on the clock. Close to the top of the list of best bikes owned so far. It's reliable, quick enough, practicle, good looking and at only £2,400 a year ago and sub ton to insure fully comp, a true bargain.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Aprilia

RSV1000????

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

I got

an 02 929 Blade and I love it.

Reply to this Topic
phantombiker

Jul 13

phantombiker says:

Yes, they're great but

how many of us would risk 3000 pounds on a twenty year old sport bike that's been thrashed by six or seven different twenty something nutters?

Let the buyer beware.

Reply to this Topic
mchale2020

Apr 12

mchale2020 says:

Tuning Sporks

I would be hesitant about buying a cheap used, early generation R1. The gearboxes are hit or miss and seeing second gear begin to slip is a common occurence. It would be worth the extra money buying one with low mileage and sound history for the peace of mind. I imagine if the bike was ridden by a mechanically inclinded individual who understands not to abuse the transmission, then it will last for a long time otherwise, I think you would be rolling the dice on splitting the cases in the future.

It's a shame because those models are quite handsome and the millenium era graphics have aged better than most. Also, the mid-range comes from the longer stroke of the engine and the carberuation not being hampered by as strict emissions standards as today. When you ask for WOT on the older bike, you will get it, unlike a lot of bikes today using ride-by-wire throttle which manipulate the butterfly valves and ignition timing to dampen sound emission when full gas is applied.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices