Skip to content

Discuss This Scott Redding ready for MotoGP switch MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Scott Redding ready for MotoGP switch

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Scott Redding ready for MotoGP switch

Scott Redding is moving to MotoGP at the right time in his career, according to former Moto2 crew chief Pete Benson. The Gloucestershire rider will compete in the premier class next season on a production Honda RCV100R machine for the Italian-based Gresini squad. The 20-year-old came close to becoming Britain’s first GP world champion since late legend Barry Sheene when he led...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 253 days ago (18 December 2013 14:45)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Oh dear..

..not much informed discussion there Nostril?

Honda make some cracking products..but as you know, the HRC's bully boy manipulation of GP with threats, lies and a view it's their personal test track is what wosi takes exception to.

The RCVR may be new but it's certainly not lacking development. Thousands of Kms around Motegi and several well publicised tests for a start.

Compare that to Forwards M1 that turned it's first wheel in anger at Valencia..which is what I mean by room for development.

No need to get you're orange knickers in a twist is there?

Here's what Asparagus Snr. had to say..

“I think at the first test in Valencia we saw the potential that the FTR-Yamaha has.

“I hope I am not mistaken, but the conclusion was that we were able to take our bike to an equal level with, and indeed exceed, that of the Honda.

Despite concerns the FTR-Yamaha would not be able to match the Honda RCV1000R after test times were released by HRC, Espargaro finished the Valencia post-season test 0.479s ahead of Aspar’s new rider, 2006 World Champion Nicky Hayden.  

Espargaro continued: “The Honda is basically a finished product, whereas we still have everything to do with ours, but our bike still went quicker than the Honda despite having done less laps; with this in mind, I think we have more potential.

“Many people have told me I am making a mistake in switching teams at this point and that the Honda will be better. Time will tell, but what I can say is that both the team and the bike are better than we expected.”

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-racing-news-moto-gp/aleix-espargaro-yamaha-has-more-potential-than-honda-in-open-class/24105.html#ixzz2nw6WXIAs

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Oh dear, oh dear

Espargaro the elder forgets of course that he is in essence running a 2012 / 2013 M1 engine and chassis developed with MM electronics - you know, the same firm providing the black box to all open class entrants. A spec item the Honda's need to adapt to, as HRC has always run proprietary electronics - with the help of YMC tech boffins of course! It's a very moot point as to whether the wolf in sheep clothing Yamaha is more or less developed than the RCV-R.

So as a betting man Wosi who's your money on in the open class? I'm backing Redding to be the quickest rider all other things being equal over the course of a season - injuries etc.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

I'm hoping he'll do well..

..but I think Hayden will have the beating of Redding for the most of next season. His experience on the bigger bike will most likely serve him well compared to his immediate rivals. Having said that, I think Scott will feel he's got a lot to prove and by the end of the season will be the most consistent of the open class riders.

For me, that's where the most of the entertainment will come from.. 

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

I'd imagine young Espargaro's..

..memory is in a sight better nick than an old duffer like yourself?

I recently pointed out to you, after the same claim the RCVR had been running proprietary electronics, that HRC engineers had spent time in Italy at Marelli's factory, presumably in anticipation of having to use the new hard and software, as far back as last January.

I'm not privy to the technical spec of the new electronics but, as I understand it, there will be far fewer sensors and the software code is fixed - no more corner by corner strategies - which means there will be little room for improvement in that department, which of course is the whole idea.

The emphasis will be shifted towards the mechanical..and HRC's reluctance to run full fuel and use 5 engines, along with the lower spec build, may go against them. I certainly hope so for one.

As for the riders..In his first year on the same machinery I reckon Scott would have his hands full against Hayden & Espargaro. Although I'd like to think going forward he has more potential.

I think the FTR Yamaha will be the best package, using the full 24 litres, having pneumatic valves and wrapped within a sweet handling chassis. Espargaro will win the open class and Edwards will be 2nd.

I'm hoping Hernandez can put the willies up RCVR riders on the open Ducati too..and it would make my day if Honda left GP at the end of 2014 with tails between legs and their over rated production racer - that they claim was built to help teams, out of the goodness of their hearts - having proved itself a flop.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Yawn, yes, yes Wosi

The point though me old opinionated mucker is that the Yamaha has been around the GP tracks using MM kit. The Honda hasn't, they have an informational database to build, whereas Yamaha have one to draw upon.

Same as with the CRT's, lots of coughing and spluttering until they worked out to best utilise their ECU's,  showing a reasonable turn of speed in their second year (not that I think it'll take HRC that long).  Having served their purpose Carmelo is happy to see CRT's fade away now.

Yamaha has the initial advantage here, but I see no good reason to doubt the RCV on valve springs will not be a good one. Revs and valve control are not nearly as critical to the 81mm bore 'thou's as they were on the frantic little revhead 800's. Where Yamaha might have an ongoing advantage though is the quality of their clutch. Let's see.

Old Col' - ha, ha, ha. That's a good one.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Yawn indeed..

..it sounds like you need a good lie-down.

MotoGP bikes have hundreds of sensors plastered all over them collecting data, feeding it back to look-up tables from which the computer picks a multi-layered course of action for a specific condition. Not only that, but the computer will adjust that command as it goes..adapting and learning.

Superbikes are a cock-hair behind them and are going EVO next year with a maximum of JUST TEN sensors.

As I said, I don't know how many sensors the spec MotoGP ECU will collect data from, but you can bet it will be measured in 10's rather than the present 100's.

This is the type of code Factories were writing nearly ten years ago.

The point you make about Honda needing to build up a database is also irrelevant because they will NOT be writing the programs anymore, Marelli will.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Chortle

Why is everything with you nigh on ten years ago Wosi?

What's Marelli's MotoGP experience based upon again Wosi? Oh yes, the M1.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Whine all you want..

..are you making excuses for HRC geeks, saying they can't get their heads around working with an electronics system that is way simpler and less powerful than they're used to?

Whether I use my Apple laptop or your Compaq tower, doesn't make a lot of difference..it's all set up ready to go, I just have to press the buttons.

Same thing with HRC and the new Marelli kit.

The simple fact is, new rules shift emphasis away from electronics back to older mechanical values..and as things stand the RCVR is of a lower spec than it's direct competition.

I think teams have been suckered.

There's a distinct possibility Honda have under estimated the rules and opposition IMO, just like they did in 2007.

If they want to remain credible with regard to their open class production racer, they will have to upgrade the current package..big-style.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

HRC

overestimated their rider in 2007 Wosi. I think  Stoner or Rossi could quite possibly have won the championship on the 2007 Honda.

Reply to this Topic
hello4646

Oct 08

hello4646 says:

Has

Benny had another account deleted!!!! 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle