You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > MAIN FUSE BLOWING gpz 500s

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

MAIN FUSE BLOWING gpz 500s

i,ve isolated the wiring loom from everything ( via the connectors ) except for back stop n tail plus indicators.That means the fusebox,cdi,voltage regulator,indicator relay,stator wires,all forward lights and handlebar electrics including ignition switch are disconnected.
I,ve cleaned all connections on the bike and used electrical contact cleaner- non harmful to plastics on the connectors.All wires on harness checked ffor fraying and repaired a couple of them and loom reinsulated.. Have cleaned both the main earth cable ( yes-its fitted on the left hand side of starter motor ) and the auxillary earth mounted on frame by radiator filler.I made sure frame was bare metal where earth wire connected.
Main fuse blows when battery connected and the top connector for starter relay is fitted. only 3 wires in the relay top connector and it looks like the earth wire pin is arc-ing.Have only blown around 20 fuses so far while trying to eliminate the fault.
Any ideas on how to progress.please note I live on a island with no auto electricians and the local bike shops won,t want to know anything over 150 cc.
My bike is a 500 cc kawasaki gpz 500s 94 E1 model.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 242 days ago (25 December 2013 12:07)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1994

Hi 08bobT

Could i ask if you have ever had this bike running?and if so when?

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

fuse blowing answer for kcmc

Never run.can you remember my post "parts robbed".
handlebar controls/fusebox replaced. I,ve fitted new starter relay and battery. all connectors on main loom have been disconnected.if it was an individual component then it would be: reconnect stuff until the fuse blew- but its blowing straight away !Two earth wires run from battery- one to starter solenoid and the other to frame.The battery positive goes to relay starter then down to right side of starter motor.I have tried disconnecting both,the positive on its own, but it still blows the main fuse.........

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

earth

Two earth wires from the battery???? Don`t know your model but usually there should only be one to the frame, the starter relay circuit (solenoid)  does not need an earth because the it`s all positive and the earth wire is at the starter to engine frame.Have you a multi/meter or a.v.o. also a wiring diagram?????

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

reply to jaffa

There are two earth wires running from the battery on a gpz500s.the larger connection feeds to left hand side of starter motor and the thinner wire connects to main frame adjacent to rad filler cap. the positive wire from battery feeds the starter relay on terminal "b" for "battery". the terminal marked "m" for "machine" feeds to right hand side of starter motor.The only wiring diagram I have is via a haynes manual.I have a multimeter although apart from continuity checks I have no idea how to use it.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

continuity

nearly fresh now but instead of connecting the battery again and blowing fuses put the meter on OHMS  (continuity) and stick one lead on the red battery lead and the other to the frame, it`s a case of finding out what`s taking all the current.

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

wiring diagram

.when is the fuse blowing ? is it when you thumb the starter ?

you say you have attached an earth and a positive cable to the starter motor can you take a photo and show me which lead you have fitted and to which point ........ usually the earth fits on to one of the starter motors securing bolts and there is a 6mm pin sticking up from the centre of the starter motor for the positive feed from relay .........good luck ...o.t.g 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

grouchy or not grouchy ?

Grouchy,can I  suggest you read my original post and digest that all the controls etc are disconnected from the main loom.As I said : main fuse blows when the battery leads are connected and as soon as I fit the top connector to the starter relay.I don,t have to thumb a starter to get it to do that- its instantaneous.The starter controls aren,t connected ! nor is the ignition,fusebox,cdi,stator wires etc.They are all disconnected from the main wiring loom in a effort to  trace the fault. Almost every switch or control on a kawasaki gpz attaches to the main loom via connectors whether that be 3 pin,4 pin,6 pin ,8 pin etc.I have disconnected the lot- the main fuse still blows as soon as I fit the starter relay top connector.
Sorry grouchy if I,m getting grouchy haha !I know you,re trying to be helpful .
As I said earlier- the positive lead runs from starter solenoid to RHS of starter motor.The big earth wire fits left side.Theres no need to take a photo of it- thats how they fit !I,ve checked that in haynes manual and on other forum boards.Thats how it was fitted and thats how its fitted now.In any case the earth lead is too short to fit the other side.........
Am I right in thinking that the wires feeding rear indicators/ stop/tail lights can,t fuse the main fuse as hey would rin thru the fusebox via a 10 amp fuse.I,m beginning to think it must be a connector thats shorting on the main loom. Time for a beer .........its hot here !

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

history of bike

As KCMC ASKED if I,ve ever had it running heres its history...I saw this bike in m/bike showroom some 5 years ago.I live on a small island called Langkawi,off the west coast of Malaysia just 20 mins by air from Penang.They wanted too much money for it !It disappeared from s/room so I assumed it was sold.Just by chance I happened to see the bike- now covered in dust in a motorbike storage lot (garage ) some 3-4 years later.I recognised it,made a few enquiries and eventually bought it quite cheaply as a few parts- fusebox,handlebar controls,front master cylinder had all been robbed.The indicator rubbers that fit thru the fairing  had perished and they were hanging off.One front brake caliper was beyond repair.I have purchased all the parts missing via Ebay uk and fitted them.The bike has a new battery- the correct one and I purchased a new starter relay as the old one looked grotty.Its the black purple mica colour and was registered in 94 and has covered less than 20k kilometres ( this is a small island )It now looks in good nick.Looking at Grouchy,s wiring loom diagrams they show a fuel pump ? In my parts manual- came with machine- it identifies my bike as a E1 via year and colour.Its not a UK bike and I suspect  it has same spec as a 94 D1- if UK ones are fitted with twin disc/twin caliper 27 mm dual pistons.The engine turns over once spark plugs removed and socket on crank nut.As I,ve serviced the carbs, what I need to to do is get it running ,prove engine gearbox ok and then fit new wheel bearings,headstock bearings,cush drive rubber ,new sprockets n chain and new bridgestones.
Not much to do- once I get over electrical problem !

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1994

Hi again 08bobT

Reading your posts i would say you have a starter motor problem,sounds like the starter motor LIVE or POSATIVE which is insulated from the main body of the starter motor(and can not come in direct contact) is now some how not insulated so the main body of the starter motor which when bolted into place becomes a part of the engne which in turn is bolted in the frame which in turn IS THE NEGATIVE or NEUTRAL.So will cause a dead short,which is what is happening in this case,so you need to remove the starter motor and find out why it's shorting out.Put the starter motor in a vice(use the vice as the earth)earth the vice,then put a live to the live termanel on the starter(can use your battery and two lengths of wire)if the starter motor turns over you have a problem with the starter clutch or its gears or chain inbetween,if it just arces and sparks the starter motor is a duffer.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

thanks !

I was out today and thinking about the problem and just thought to myself "if the earth connects to theLH side of starter motor and the starter motor is all metal,then how can the positive connect to RH side without any insulating washers -surely it would dead short ?" Just switched on computer and was wondering if I would hear back from you and Lo and behold- there you are suggesting a similar scenario. I will certainly check it out and get back to you.I ,m pretty sure there are no insulating washers on that connection.I was seriously thinking about changing the main wiring loom -even tho it generally looked in good condition. You may have saved me that  expense !

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices