You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Real Waterproof

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gebbione

Jan 14

gebbione says:

Real Waterproof

I have bought an RST Tourmaster jacket and trousers. I was very pleased with their quality and warmth until trousers started leaking in the goolies.:mad::mad::mad:

In the last heavy rain the jacket was also leaking on the elbow. This is just after 20 min of rain.

This only happened with heavy rain but I am not in a position to compromise. I cannot reach work and have to look for a dryer. I have returned them back for the moment waiting for a response on warranty but I am thinking to replace them with something better. 

Something that upset me is that they suggest you should waterproof spray them once every 2 months (at least the dealer i bought the clothes from) and i am not convinced about this at all. Also they didnt say anything like this when i was buying them or i would have rather checked more stores. ( I was in a hurry when i was buying )

A friend of mine has been riding in his  Dainese set of waterproofs for 4 years and never had to even think about spraying or complaining about leaks.

Can you please share your suggestions on best waterproof (totally waterproof at least in the core parts rather than the hedges) brands and models ?

Also if you have had RST and then had to replace it for some reason please let me know.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 194 days ago (09 January 2014 18:56)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bladeblaster

Dec 07

bladeblaster says:

waterproof is a lie

No textile 'waterproofs' are fully waterproof, they are showerproof at best. If you want to be waterproof buy an all in one over suit, even then stay out in the rain long enough and water will eventually get in.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

RST waterproofs

Hi there,

The problems you describe with your RST suit sound like reasonable warrantable issues to me. I'm not going to go in to a long diatribe about consumer law here, but if they are under 12 months old return them to the dealer who should look after you.

You should not have  to treat them with waterproof spray as their waterproofing should come from a breathable membrane. Treating them with a spray will compromise the breathability of the product.

If I were to recommend a replacement product then in fairness RST would be on the list along with other budget brands such as Oxford, Spada or Merlin. I'd steer away from a one piece oversuit, a reasonable one will be waterproof but the lack of breathability will be shared by your colleagues when you get to work!

Could I suggest that going just a little upmarket to brands such as Held, Ixon or as your friend clearly recommends, Dainese, may be a worthwhile investment in the long run. The current Ixon CE approved range looks very good.

Keith Roissetter, Infinity Motorcycles

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I have just

replaced my Spada textile trousers after six and a half winters of commuting. I have never treated them and they have kept me warm and dry. I have bought Spada again, today. I hope these last as long. They are made in England, which is good news, too :smile 

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

spada

Spada do brilliant affordable quality clothes, I have bought quite a bit from them , the Milo trousers are brilliant

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices