Skip to content

KTM Video: KTM 1290 Super Duke R group test 1290 SUPERDUKE

You are in... Forums > KTM > 1290 SUPERDUKE > Video: KTM 1290 Super Duke R group test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: KTM 1290 Super Duke R group test

Triumph's Speed Triple is MCN's long-standing king of the traditional naked litre-class bikes, free of traction control and rider modes. At the other end of the spectrum is Aprilia's Tuono V4R, which grabbed all the accolades with brutal power and myriad electronic rider aids. But now there's a new 'Beast' fighting for naked honours: KTM's 1290 Super Duke R. We took all...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 289 days ago (10 January 2014 17:01)

Post a message in 1290 SUPERDUKE

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

The Hot New KTM

The new Super Duke R is one of the most exciting bikes that has come across my screen in a long time.  I say my screen, because I haven't seen one in person and nor have I read about it extensively yet, short of a few reviews.  But love the looks, the specs and the features.

Are you saying that you can't switch between modes on the fly?  Or are you saying that you can't customize the modes on the fly? Surely you should be able to switch the modes on the fly. 

As for the ABS being switchable, is there a bike out there that allows to switch off ABS on the fly?  I don't think so.

Would love an explanation of what you Brits are whining about.  Thanks.

RacingShiva.com

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

SHIVA

"Surely you should be able to switch the modes on the fly"

Hmm....... "switching modes on the fly"

Really, fcuking really...why'd ya do that? 

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

realy?

the touno doesn't even looks like a naked. totaly not! huge screen and covered engine. the aprilia is realy thirsty and its the most uly bike in my opinion. the real nakeds are triumph and ktm.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

and winter riding in Britain?

Would it not be a better Idea to Compare these bikes on British roads in typical British weather....? might show how all the electric gizmo's compare to the good old fashioned Human Brain..... Whilst your at it, how about Quality of finish....? how do these machines stand up to the Salt and general Crud that cover our roads for five months of the year?......some of us still ride in these conditions ....I would be interested to see if any of these bikes stood up to all year riding.

Reply to this Topic
dmacle

Jan 14

dmacle says:

Ktm traction control

You omit to tell us that the 1290's traction control modes CAN be changed while riding, you just have to shut the throttle. The mode setting is retained also - street/sport/rain. I've got a 1290 and have checked this.

I think it's only TC on/off and abs on/off which are only possible when stopped, although I haven't tried it personally yet.

I'm not bothered about having to stop to turn things off - sport mode allows plenty wheel slip and wheelie height, haven't tested prolonged wheelieing yet though.

Reply to this Topic
trevster

Aug 02

trevster says:

14K!

The KTM is just too expensive, I can’t see many being shifted @ 14k I bet dealers will soon be discounting them.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Negative KTM Bias at MCN?

dmacle, That's what I thought, that the modes can easily be changed on the fly, it's just the on/off that requires the bike to be stopped.  As I wrote below I don't think that there is any bike that allows ABS on/off on the fly, but some do allow traction to be shut off on the fly though, which is not a big deal.

Looking at how MCN team has been talking about KTMs for the past year, they seem a bit biased negatively and they also seem hugely biased positively toward BMWs now.  I think it all boils down to which brand spends the most money on advertising and I think BMW does a great deal here.

When they initially reviewed the new BMW S1000R naked, the reviewer said, on the MCN video, that he doesn't think he'll like the KTM 1290 (and that's before seeing or touching it yet).  Hmmmm.

Also in the above video, check out the dude as he says with a tone of disappointment that there is a good chance that KTM will win the specs shoot out.  Ouch, how bad for MCN.

Come on KTM spend some money on MCN so they start liking you better.

Reply to this Topic
CameronLeeds

Sep 10

CameronLeeds says:

SHIVA

Hi.  If you want to pull wheelies on the KTM you have to stop and go though the screen programmes to turn off the traction control.  Apparently none of the three modes allow wheelies.  This would stop me from buying the 1290.  Cheers

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

CameronLeeds Thanks!

OK. Finally getting some clarity on this.  Thanks! 

Even on my K1300S I could turn off traction on the fly.  Although for most of us it's not a big issue, assuming the Sport mode allows power wheelie. 

Reply to this Topic
Feckit

Jan 13

Feckit says:

MCN

Can you do anything at all about the spammers? - such a waste of space and time. Get rid of them!

Also, who chose the music score on the video, it is woeful and the producer who allowed it should be put in prison for 18 years, like the Kawasazki truck driver, it is just as bad an offence to humanity and it's ears!:mad:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices