Skip to content

BMW Would you really take a BMW R1200GS round the world? R1200GS ADVENTURE

You are in... Forums > BMW > R1200GS ADVENTURE > Would you really take a BMW R1200GS round the world?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you really take a BMW R1200GS round the world?

Fancy an adventure bike? BMW’s new R1200GS Adventure costs £12,600 for the base model, £14,750 for the XE and £15,350 for the TE model. We’re talking big money here, but would you really take a bike worth a deposit on a small house around the world?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 168 days ago (07 February 2014 10:07)

Post a message in R1200GS ADVENTURE

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

NO WAY ROUND

no, i would think it risky because of the reliability, i think a yamaha super tenere a better bet as nick saunders has proved.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

That's the Dream....

They're selling...some fortunate folk may have the time and money to be able do the World Tour.....but most will make do with shorter trips.........Personally I'd love to Ride around the World but I haven't been down every road in Britain yet.

Reply to this Topic
Aki800

Aug 13

Aki800 says:

I'd like to but I wouldn't. I think i'd rather use something more basic and easy to repair on the road if I were to do it.

Popular belief is that the majority of owners of these bikes don't "adventure" on them anymore than they do in their Range Rovers and Cayenne's?

Reply to this Topic
xvash750

Jun 12

xvash750 says:

Not relly

Give me an old xtz 750 super ten, dr 650, africa twin, or anything that can be fixed at the side of the road with a spanner and a boot. Something that cost 1500 quid and then id use the remaing 13grand i would have spent on the bmw touring. 

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

It's about the badge

It would be a long way to go without greeting or acknowledging any other riders. If you chose another brand you'd be able to greet other riders on the road, nodding or waving, that type of thing..

Reply to this Topic
jimbomottorad1976

Feb 14

Price tag on your adventure?

First and foremost my friend you are closed minded as many of people have traveled the world on several brands.  When you read a review, 75% of the time you will get an individual’s preference not what may be the right fit for you and your intended use.  In addition each rider will create a different feeling for a bike based off a number of factors riders weight, height, riding capability and ergonomics. Great for Nick Sanders and his Tenere and his records, not to discredit but BMW has proven themselves in unset conditions in the Paris to Dakar and Helge's ten year tour on a BMW.  I can tell you here in the Rockies where I live the Teneres are traded in for the GS’s once they see what is capable on the big bikes within the first 6 months - a year of new purchase on average. The dealers have to send them to auction as they cannot give them away.  I won’t call it a bad bike but I’m just saying.  Lastly I don’t put a price on my adventure if it’s the right fit for me.  And to any Idiot that off roads and never thinks he or she will go down at some point is just foolish.

Reply to this Topic
AntStamp69

Sep 12

AntStamp69 says:

It's a nice looking bike, but I'd have to probably go with something more basic and easier to pull out of the river

I no doubt would fall in!

Reply to this Topic
occytherp

Jul 05

occytherp says:

why not?

If a Yamaha R1 or Honda C90 can do it, then surely a mega buck tank like this should do it. The only concerns for me would be binning a bike worth so much, looking like a wannabe Dakar rider, or asking to be robbed by riding a bike that stands out like a bull dogs knackers, when visiting **** holes.
Prefer to take a cheap bit of kit and spend the balance on jollies and good liivng. 

Reply to this Topic
ginganz13

Nov 09

ginganz13 says:

Too big - unnecesary

LIke Ed March says - try picking one up of the deck with one hand - when  it gets tough a C90 with knobblies makes them look stupid. Check out Ed March C90 ADventures on YouTube

Reply to this Topic
twowheeltours

Mar 11

Too much!

A big heavy BMW or something else big and heavy seems like the only choice when it comes to touring the globe, in an advertisers world at least. In  the third world a 200cc bike is big and to entering a small village with something like 1200cc is embarrasing for booth you and the locals. A 600cc thumper will definately be big enough for third world roads. Looking at long way down makes me mostly remember down because that´s what they were most of the time while demonstrating to the world that less is probably more than a heavy BMW. In the first trip it´s perfectly demonstrated in Mongolia, remember when the Photographers bike breaks down and he get´s a shitty local bike. It´s the first time for him not being caught in the mud enjoying a smaller bike.

Sitting in a third world cafe sipping on a cup of tea together with the locals questions to you could be "how much did you pay for your watch/shoes/jeans asked by someone with a monthly salary 1-10% of yours a bike worth more than his lifetime salary is embarrasing. And a Yamaha XT 600 could be fixed in the bush while a big GS is anothether story.

regards, Olle

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices