Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner unlikely to take up HRC test role again MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner unlikely to take up HRC test role again

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner unlikely to take up HRC test role again

Double MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner is looking increasingly unlikely to continue as test and development rider for Honda in 2014. HRC had intended to keep the Australian developing its factory RC213V throughout 2014 after he made numerous testing appearances in Japan at the end of last season. Stoner, who retired from MotoGP at the end of 2012, is taking a complete...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 222 days ago (13 February 2014 12:35)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

Two great champions.

http://youtu.be/L4X4yvTHaRM

Watch the last ten laps...

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

3 possible explanations

1. He genuinely wants a break. Or needs to feel what life without any form of motorsport is actually like. 2. He plans a return to Honda but doesn't want to aid MM. Would rather ride a less than perfect bike on his return than give MM more track time on a stoner dialled machine than the stoner gets himself. Or has decided that the best way to piss off rossi would be to wait for lorenzo to go to honda then return to Moto gp with Yamaha. Making him the only rider to secure three championships with three manufacturers. A record that even MM will struggle to take. 1 is the most likely of course, but for the sake  of the championship i hope it's 3

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Saturn - not really into putting percentages on the rider / bike difference. The more capable the bike the lower the rider percentage. The less capable the bike, the higher the rider percentage.

Saying it was 80/20 on the Honda, a bike that had won many previous races with different riders, as well as titles, was I thought at the time, the first signs of conceit and egotism. He made the difference in winning them the title definitely, as he was a better rider than the rest at that time. I doubt he'd have won the title on the 2003 Yamaha, it would have gone to Gibernau - another rider who whose record demonstrates that the bike makes as much of a difference as a rider when you compare his 2002 results on a Suzuki to his 2003 results on the Honda.

Catalunya 2007  -  what a race, still makes you hold your breath even knowing the result.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

Bultoboy

Bikes matters, but some riders are better than others and can win on lesser bikes, that's what makes them dominate the rest, so you're talking Roberts, Lawson, Spencer, Rainey, Gardner (even with only one title HE was special and his Honda pretty rubish when it comes to handling), Schwants (same here), Doohan, Rossi.

All of which could slide a 500, not everyone skills, now when it comes to Stoner it's another matter, on the Honda he was awesome, on the Ducati good enough to exploit its engine, one might like him or not, when you see what he was capable of doing on the RC you have to admit there weren't anyone there capable of doing the same on the same bike.

Now it's Marquez who rises above the rest, and for the same reason.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Bike / rider  -  I know, you've said the same as I said....

Only difference is I'd put Stoner's rides on the Ducati above the Honda. Others won on the Honda, no-one got close to winning on the Ducati (one-off Capirossi fluke excepted)

But, I don't believe you have to slide the bike to win - based upon the fact that Lorenzo has a lot of race wins and two titles...  Marquez is fast because he is a natural on a bike and looks just as much at home on a motocross bike as he does his GP bike. Watch Rossi on a motocross bike, he's wooden, Marquez would destroy him on a motocross track

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

Bultoboy

You might be right, i look at the way he was riding them tough, hard to deny the Ducati was a damned rocket in most straights, so it is harder for me to tell, plus from 2008 the tyres breaktrough changed all of that. 

From what i remember reading about it, Ducati were not able to deal with the issue of suspension not working at the lean angle they were taking, on the bumps he would loose the front, while the Japanese with more "conventional" engines/frames design made the required changes.

I might be focusing too much on the gas control for some people's taste but frankly it is from my experience just one step above (and a big one, those who tried would know), we all learn from lower capacity (i started with mopeds 49cc) and corner speed is obviously the first skill we develop (or not).

Riding over the tyres adherence limit and staying on top is something else even today and Stoner is one of the guys who could do it consistantly on the Honda, it takes special skills not everyone can develop. ps Motocross is one way to develop these skills.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Happy Birthday to you..

Little Ali Stoner..Two years old today.

..her joyous arrival started a cataclysmic downward spiral for hopeful #27ers that, judging by the state of some here, still has a way to go before successful rehabilitation and a balanced outlook is re-instated..we live in hope.

On behalf of this disaffected motley crew and with a pallet of jumbo Kleenex on hand for the needy..

Happy birthday to the GOAT too..35 years old and entering his 19th season of WC competiton. Still fast as fk and winning races. The sun and moon that shines light and warmth on planet MotoGP.

God bless you.

Hip Hip Hooray..  

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

Wosi.

Nicky Lauda once said that been happy was making riders slower...

Reply to this Topic
vtwinmark

Aug 10

vtwinmark says:

Have to correct you there wosi....Still winning "RACE", not races, races suggests he has won more than won in the recent years.

And DeGrasse, It took more than just sliding a 500 to be "special".....Gary McCoy would have been a world champion if that was the case.  Which begs the question, as it's an entertainment business after all, who would you rather sit and watch on a sunday afternoon, the likes of Doohan or the likes of McCoy? 

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Ha, ha Backpaddock

You're serious aren't you? Now quoting me from some advanced institute of old codgers on how to optimise the braking performance of their Gold Stars. 75% front, 25% rear, ha, ha.You really couldn't be more irrelevant if you tried.

Sunshine, Nostro's ridden motorcycles across the world in more than twenty countries. From days of ice and snow in Iran, the endless Outback of Australia, to the jungles of Laos and Cambodia. Over and above ten years of road racing over a twenty year period. On the 'evidence' (I use that in the loosest possible interpretation of the word) you've provided there is nothing you can teach me about riding technique. Road, track, trail. Anywhere.

You're an imposter and a clown.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices