Skip to content

Ask an Expert £450 for replacing a spring in the engine Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > £450 for replacing a spring in the engine

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

£450 for replacing a spring in the engine

My peugeot 125 wouldnt start one Winter day. Took it to garage in Chatham and the guy is charing me £450 which includes 9 hours of labour apparently for a broken spring in the engine. Is this fair or Ripoff? The bike is not worth more than £800..

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 214 days ago (17 February 2014 14:20)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Is it a four stroke Peugeot 125?what year is it?

If it's a broken valve spring?(if its a four stroke?)then its a possible engine out,head removal,possible regrind of new valve or even recut the valve seat?don't know as you have not supplied enough information,if the engine is damaged in this area they could be also replacing a piston?which in this case would start looking cheap not over expensive as suggested.

KCMC:huh: 

P.S. replacement engine from a breakers could work out cheaper?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

Rip off

Thanks. Its a 4 STROKE 2013 (62 REG)  Peugeot tweet. The piston is fine but yeah as you rightly pointed out all the other things need to be done.

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

Riff off

What are the possible causes for valve spring to break?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

warranty

Should be under a 2 year warranty surely .

http://www.peugeotscooters.co.uk/peugeot-scooters-detail.php/Tweet-50cc-21/

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

warranty

Its under its warranty period but unfortunately I recently moved houses and do not seem to be able to find the Service Book. And I am not sure if I have all the stamps needed. The garage guy said without all the stamps ( he said 4 are needed) Peugeot won't accept the warranty

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

warranty

Its under its warranty period but unfortunately I recently moved houses and do not seem to be able to find the Service Book. And I am not sure if I have all the stamps needed. The garage guy said without all the stamps ( he said 4 are needed) Peugeot won't accept the warranty

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Now that we know

what year the bike is and a four stroke,am with Jaffa90 on this,should be under at least two year manufacturer's warranty?only thing i'm confused about is what does (62REG) mean,and what's its significances:huh:

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

KCMC

a 62 reg means it was registered between Sept 2012 and March 2013

It's under warranty. The main dealer should have the service details on computer.

I assume you have taken the bike to a peugeot main dealer???

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

EATCS01

The first service was done by an authorised dealer. The second by a local garage. Third was just an oil change and spark Plug replacement and I do not remember getting stammped for that. So I assume there are no chances of having the work done under warranty 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Go back and get your book stamped at the last place to do the service(no skin off their nose)

and then take it up with the main dealership,if it's all legitimate i can't see the main dealer having a problem taking on the repair(unless theres something more sinister you're not telling us?:shock:)   :lol:

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices