You are in... Forums > General > General > Do we put too much emphasis on power

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

outlookexcess

Sep 12

Do we put too much emphasis on power

Had a bit of an eye opener today.

A mate let me have a go on his Deauville.

This is a bike I wouldn't give a second look at normally, but I have to say, quite impressive,

It has a really good spread of torque, which masks it's shortcomings in the power department.

I wouldn't honestly say I was any slower on this than my ZZR1200.

Of course I accept that in a straight line the latter would leave it for dead, but there's more to riding than going fast in a straight line.

The Deauville has really good drive low down, and was fairly agile.

So I'm left wondering, if maybe for real world riding, bhp is just a series of numbers that have little if any real relevance in any situation other than on the track.

I still wouldn't buy a Deauville, because sooner or later you have to get off, and that means looking at it, but that engine, in a semi sports or even café racer format would be a real fun bike to own.

My ZZR felt decidedly heavy and peaky in comparison,

Or am I just getting old

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 221 days ago (23 February 2014 23:06)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

power

It`s all about how you feel on any bike, I had a xjr1300 (1250 really) which felt great with scraping the pegs or boots, also had a blackbird which I could not get used to. In other words I was faster on the Yam.:smile   

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

how it makes its power

is more important i feel!

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Horses for courses

I ride a Husqvarna SM610 daily at the moment which only has around 52-56 RWBHP however its also around 140kg wet. The low down power is good and there's very little that will keep up with it from the lights (up to the road speed limit or there abouts).

On twisty roads there's very few bikes that can give you the same pace and bring such a skirk to your face. Wheelies, rolling stoppies and backing it in are rather easy should you want to do that. That said though it's not the most comfortable or practical (very narrow and hard seat and there can be a lot of pitching with a passenger on the back). It doesn't have the power spec of todays latest sportsbikes and on open flowing roads would be left by them but in tighter twistier sections they'd never keep up with it.

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Panigale 800

Would very much seem to say yes. All ther eports seems to say better road bike than the 1200.

I changed down frm the ZZR 1400 to Z1000SX and have to say just as much fun at road speeds. I do miss the ballistic acceleration away from roundabouts or on motorway slip roads but other than that I find the smaller Kwack more engaging.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

not really not at my age

but then it depends who's on board as well.

Track bike is a bit different so nice to have figures ready available

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

I spent a day

riding my Dullsville around the Road America Motorplex supermoto track with all my overnight gear on the bike - the chicane and decreasing radius downhill turn were surprisingly easy to navigate for a 600-pound gross weight bike.  And plenty of torque to pull out of those slow corners.

As for the engine in a lighter, more sporty bike, that would be the old NT650 Hawk GT - the current Deauville has about 7 more horsepower due to 33cc more displacement, an added exhaust valve, and fuel injection; but weighs about 11 stone more.

P.S.  You have no taste if you do not like the looks of the Dullsville.  :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Power -v- control

I'd rather ride a slow bike FAST, than a fast bike SLOW.

Reply to this Topic
gungerdin8

Feb 11

gungerdin8 says:

ummmmmmmmm

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I like

low down power and a good dollop of torque.

I really want a GSX1250FA as it makes 108nm of torque at 3700rpm. Now that's low down power and makes up for me lacking so badly in the penis department.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Like jaffa90...

I had a Blackbird which was always my dream bike till I bought one (yes, without a test ride!) and found it too much of a stretch to the handlebars so sold it and bought an XJR1300 which was smooth, torquey, and comfy but when I took it round Nurburgring with my mates on Fireblades, ZX9s etc, I found it a bit heavy so swapped it for a Fazer 1000 which on reflection was probably the best bike I ever had! Two years ago, I got rid of my Sprint ST 1050 which was much faster than my present Tiger 800 but I don't miss the power and enjoy the view from the comfy riding position. I'll be keeping it for a while.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices