You are in... Forums > General > General > Do we put too much emphasis on power

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

outlookexcess

Sep 12

Do we put too much emphasis on power

Had a bit of an eye opener today.

A mate let me have a go on his Deauville.

This is a bike I wouldn't give a second look at normally, but I have to say, quite impressive,

It has a really good spread of torque, which masks it's shortcomings in the power department.

I wouldn't honestly say I was any slower on this than my ZZR1200.

Of course I accept that in a straight line the latter would leave it for dead, but there's more to riding than going fast in a straight line.

The Deauville has really good drive low down, and was fairly agile.

So I'm left wondering, if maybe for real world riding, bhp is just a series of numbers that have little if any real relevance in any situation other than on the track.

I still wouldn't buy a Deauville, because sooner or later you have to get off, and that means looking at it, but that engine, in a semi sports or even café racer format would be a real fun bike to own.

My ZZR felt decidedly heavy and peaky in comparison,

Or am I just getting old

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 211 days ago (23 February 2014 23:06)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Definately an age thing

Having hit 50 I feel I`m getting bored with mega speed of bikes , "been there done it " kinda feeling just like going out on town getting very drunk  eating  crap food ,a dirty grope up an ally you get the picture. I still love my Blade but had more fun on my 600 "working "the bike rather than twist for hyper space type of riding.looking at new bikes like that MT9, torque is the new thing even sales of sports bikes have dramaticlly dropped.So that shows thats its the "older" riders that can only afford new bikes and torque is prefered over speed now.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Do we put too much emphasis on power

Yep way too much.

The Deauville is a fantastic bike, it's provides a nice reliable ride and can go fast if you twist open that throttle, it does a few glitches that could make a difference to how you see and feel the ride but overall it's a seriously good bike.

One thing that really is annoying about the ride is the way your right hand goes numb due to using the throttle over time, but that aside it's still a good ride.

Regular oil changes at around half the recommended service time will keep your bike in tip top condition.

I can't say anything too bad about the Deauville as it's always been a good machine to me, oh and having speaker positions already in the fairing helps for a nice easy ride.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

FbN

ya don't ave a twin that resides in the colonies called piglet by chance :unsure:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

speaker positions?....

...kill me now.:huh:

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

" Regular oil changes at around half the recommended service time will keep your bike in tip top condition."

Uh, I will not be changing the oil in my Deauville every 2,000 miles - the engine will likely outlast most of the other components anyhow.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices