Skip to content

Ask an Expert Northern Italy - Summer 2014 Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Northern Italy - Summer 2014

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

R1der8118

Mar 12

R1der8118 says:

Northern Italy - Summer 2014

Just wondered if anyone reading this has any tips on where to ride/visit in the dolomites.

I am planning on riding out there with the Mrs this summer. Although we lived in Milan for 2 and a half years and have only just recently returned, I am desperate to go back so I bought myself a GS and off we go. 
If anyone has been recently and saw something amazing or knows of a particularly good hotel, please let me know. Also, if anyone would be interested in joining us or meeting up on route, feel free to get in touch.

To give you an outline of what I plan to do, we are going to motor down to Varese in 1 day (might split it but having ridden my R1 to and from in a day i know its doable, if not that enjoyable) and stay for 2 nights to catch up with friends. From there we plan to head north over the top of Lake Como and along to the dolomites. From there we are not sure what to next. Maybe we will spend all our time there or head north and return or head south and loop back that way. We will not be doing Venice and I have been there 12 times but maybe Rimini is on the cards or Florence because it is pretty much our favourite place in Italy. In any case, it is particularly the Dolomites I need advice on as strangely we never visited. 

Looking to travel Aug/Sep 14 if anyone is interested. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 136 days ago (25 February 2014 21:48)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Whiskeyjack

Oct 07

Whiskeyjack says:

Italy

My mate and I,are going 8th Aug.We are going Liverpool to Reims,8hrs from Liverpool.Enough for one day..??Staying in the Ibis Styles,secure parking.Then to Grenoble,staying Ibis styles secure parking both in town centre.Then the fun,Route Napoleon N85,stay in Grasse or Antbes.Along coast into Italy,stay in Genova.Next ,the lakes to Cortina del Ampezzo.Head home through Innsbruk,Germany,back to the Euro tunnel.
Sad about returning but great trip.
Hope yours go well.Stay safe.
p.s Florence also my favourite place.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
McTours

Apr 14

McTours says:

Italian Alps Routes

I suspect that as you have lived in the region that you already know many of the great roads but you might find some of interest in one of our upcoming tours. We always post the route maps so that viewers can see exactly where we go because we recognise that not all will want to join us on tour but might take inspiration from our route planning.

I would particularly suggest that you look at http://www.mctours.eu/tour/58/Italy/Brescia,_(Lombardi_region)/Italy_-_Italian_Lakes_and_Alps_-_9_day_tour which is centred in Brescia and takes a different circuit into the lakes and alps each day. Your wife may well prefer that type of tour to the usual hop, skip and jump because you leave all the baggage at the hotel making the bike better handling on the twisty alpine roads and she can have lots of changes of clothes for dinner when she gets back to the hotel.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices