Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi bemoans new Bridgestone tyre direction MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi bemoans new Bridgestone tyre direction

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi bemoans new Bridgestone tyre direction

Valentino Rossi says he is mystified why a new range of Bridgestone rear tyres will be introduced for the 2014 MotoGP world championship. The Italian spent the majority of the opening day of the second test in Sepang working on the set-up of his factory Yamaha YZR-M1 to work with the new generation Bridgestone tyres. A stiffer construction to help with temperature...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 183 days ago (26 February 2014 13:32)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Strings...

So who is pulling the strings at the HQ -

In 2013 Dorna brought Hiroshi Yasukawa in from Bridgestone as an advisor on all things round and rubber. Clearly he has been a great success in his role as thew farce at PI 2013 showed. Now Bridgestone (with Dornas agreement) have brough in new 2014 tyres which (so it seems) has bypassed agreement from MSMA, teams or riders leaving you to questions...

Is the sport being managed and dveeloped for the sport, for safety or for commercial rights owners gains.

Reply to this Topic
luckofthewelsh

Oct 13

Bridgestone

A lot of riders seem to be unhappy with Bridgestone at the minute, if the general attitude towards them keeps declining and they make more mistakes like last year, you have to wonder how long it will be until riders start wanting a change of manufacturer again. Michelin must be keeping a keen eye on MotoGP at the minute.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

luckofthewelsh

I wish. The French factory have long given up on development at this level and i believe their foreign factories are not up to it either, it would take Michelin a couple of season to come back from that but it is possible.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Round and Rubber

no not Stoners head...

With the focus of Dorna on cost-cutting is there anyway that the reintroduction of tyre-wars can support that process... Clearly not.

Also the integration of ex-Bridgestone organisation into the Dorna structure would point to a path which is clearly defined for motoGP, a single tyre, defined by Dorna, supplied by Bridgestone in the most economical manner possible to level the playing field and provide 'safety to all'.

In 5 years time motoGP will be very close to Moto2 - the only difference will be engine capacity...

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

chrisg011

I hope you are right, because so far it's not showing so much.

Reply to this Topic
luckofthewelsh

Oct 13

I didn't mean that there should be multiple tyre manufacturers again, however, if Bridgestone start to underperform will Dorna go with another tyre brand in place of Bridgestone?

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

luckofthewelsh

Michelin are not ready to take over, as much as i'd love to... 

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

The 'one tyre rule' does absolutely nothing for this sport.

The effort/money that the factories put into this relatively small spectacle is enormous. For their efforts to be ruined by a single tyre rule is ridiculous. What DORNA are basically saying is we'd like  'Yamaha, Honda, Ducati etc' to build a bike to suit this seasons rubber. So basically build clones? Where's the fun in that!

'V-twins' right. But maybe in fewer years i feel.   

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

I’ve spouted off about tyres before a bit…BUT when will Dorna open the tyre competition back up?

Clearly they don’t want a single manufacturer in Motogp, they are trying to attract more teams. They have various engines, frame designers, different shock companies. And yet the door is shut to tyre companies and at the time when number of engines are been tightened up, rev limits, fuel limits are been squeezed…..how come Bridgestones tyres are allowed to get more extravagant, first 2 compound tyres, then it was 3 and probably a 4 compound tyres maybe for Philip Island this year? Why no restrictions for Bridgestones? Its not exactly as though the spectacle of racing has actually improved by banning the likes of Pirelli, Dunlop, Michelin from having another go. I feel certain some bikes would be far better (especially Ducati) if they weren’t on Bridgestones.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

RF99 has sort of touched on a point

It's not so much the fact there is no competition on the tyre front, and let's be frank, Bridgestone have such a march on any other company it would be foolhardy for another to join in from a marketing perspective. The more difficult aspect to understand is just why Dorna limit the compounds / constructions available?

I understand it's not financially feasible for Bridgestone to bring a wider variety of rubber to each round, but why not get Dorna and / or the teams to each contribute a set sum for the tyre provider to have a broader selection available?

Part of the skill set-up of choosing a tyre has been removed in recent years. A shame. I want to continue to watch differing styles like JL & MM go head to head, but if a spec tyre favours one style over anther that dilutes the experience massively for me. Adaption is important but within the limmits of reason.

It just seems crazy to me that Yamaha cannot use the 2013 rear tyre they were happy with. As others have said at this rate the only differences we'll see on the grid in a few years will be the sponsors logo's on identikit bikes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices