Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi bemoans new Bridgestone tyre direction MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi bemoans new Bridgestone tyre direction

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi bemoans new Bridgestone tyre direction

Valentino Rossi says he is mystified why a new range of Bridgestone rear tyres will be introduced for the 2014 MotoGP world championship. The Italian spent the majority of the opening day of the second test in Sepang working on the set-up of his factory Yamaha YZR-M1 to work with the new generation Bridgestone tyres. A stiffer construction to help with temperature...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 241 days ago (26 February 2014 13:32)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

So there you are, hammering down the straight with the corner approaching.

You snap the throttle shut and bang down the gears, causing engine braking to break traction, then you slam it open again to get the rear wheel spinning - but hang on - you're still going straight on and have now maimed yourself and several spectatorts while leaving the track. You forgot to turn.

Counter steering is in effect on any two wheeld transport, even on a moped turning into a corner at 10mph, even on a bicycle - it has nothing to do with rear wheel sliding.

Using opposite lock to control a slide is not what is meant by the term counter sterring on two wheeld transport.

Reply to this Topic
davefinnerty

Sep 13

davefinnerty says:

Degrasse

Reading your addled posts is'nt good for the brain. 

Why do you persist with such stupidity, your forever immortalised to any one reads this thread for such gems as " the rear wheels spins when its rotation is different to that of the front, faster or slower" 

Can you not understand that by saying stupid things people will think your stupid and disagree, at least try and go back on some of the countless posts calling you on your contradictions and nonsence to either put your hands up or explain them.

What level do ride at Degrasse? I may have missed it if already said but you'd be wise to adhere to two important rules. never listen to someone's advise if they're slower than you and always remember that those who can, do it and those that cant, they teach. 

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Can someone tell me what a PS3 is, I feel I'm missing out on something

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

De Grasse rode under a pseudonym, years ago.

Like Steve McQueen raced under the name Harvey Mushman. Gasbag raced under the name Kenny Roberts back in the 70s I believe

Reply to this Topic
davefinnerty

Sep 13

davefinnerty says:

El Diabolico

Many guys win club races with out using the rear break, particularly on the smaller bikes. Its not that unbelievable

Reply to this Topic
ElDiabolico

Jul 13

ElDiabolico says:

BultoBOY

Does Nostrils know that you are expressing a different opinion than his????

"You snap the throttle shut and bang down the gears, causing engine braking to break traction, then you slam it open again to get the rear wheel spinning" So you can cause a slide when the rear turns slower than the front... humm? Your mentor doesn't agree... be carefull or you will be punished, out of the circle of trust... Nostrils will cast you away....

"Counter steering is in effect on any two wheeld transport, even on a moped turning into a corner at 10mph, even on a bicycle - it has nothing to do with rear wheel sliding." Are you FKN kiding BOY??? Counter steering is indeed used to change quicker direction but it is also used to control the amount of slide! Now you invented a new name for it???  Opposite lock??? Are you a racer like Nostrils??? Hahahahahah

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

ElDiabolico

I know of a few racers who doesn't know such things, but in the case of these geezers, it's the dark age of M-C we're contemplating.

Last time i was on a track some guys were asking me "how can you brake so hard on this thing"?
I explained, next cession. i ask the guy "Well yeah it does help but"... It take time and the guys was good, fast and brilliant (not slow in his head that is) only his rear brake wasn't set up for this.
What they mentioned about "counter steering" actually caused me to fly over the handle bar on the brakes a couple of time for the reason i quoted; you want your front tyre aligned and working the way it was designed for, or else it will loose traction without telling you and when it recovers at once, it it's not fun at all. (Comments on the box, "Nice figure, can you do it again"?).

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ElDiabolico

Jul 13

ElDiabolico says:

Dave

I also don't use much the rear brake during track days... but racing is a different story...

If they didn't need to use the rear brake they would simply remove it right?

By the way, the rear can also be applied to close the arc, limit the centrifugal forces or just stabilize the bike when its moving too much, even during acceleration. 

My point is different, I don't have anything against riding preferences (use the rear or not, your choice), it's against the comedians wannabe EX-RACERS...

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

davefinnerty

You are right:Schwants never used the rear brake but not everyone is riding his Suziki which had a rather special chassis geometry.

"You snap the throttle shut and bang down the gears, causing engine braking to break traction", 

"Banging down the gears" the way you think causes the right hand to variate pressure on the brakes, and the front suspension to pump up and down, one of the first things i learned at Carol Racing School. 

You'd get all the gear down for one specific corner at once and keep constant pressure on the brake lever.

Transitioning from braking to engine brakes has the same effect but if you have started your braking from the rear, when you hit the front, both your suspensions are already compressed, meaning you limit the weight transfer.

Using the rear this way helps getting the bike more stable, building up temperature on the front tyre before using it, lowering the bike of both its suspension, so you can brake HARDER and enter the corner FASTER.

If your chassis is designed/set up for acceleration you will find it easier to put the power down because there is less adherence and the yre is not going to let go so abruptly, while you'd have carried all the corner speed the bike can take at the apex. Simple.

Humor...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
davefinnerty

Sep 13

davefinnerty says:

El Diabolico

I get your point but I would'nt lambaste a guy because thats his point of reference. I used to race clubbies and nationals in Ireland and if im honest i use it as my reference point even if the experience is limited. I do agree with you though that I dont think with 600's or 1000's anybody ever got far by ignoring the back break

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices