You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Lighting issue

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

stevens2375

Mar 10

stevens2375 says:

Lighting issue

Hi i have a lighting issue on my jinlun texan 125 it is a 2006 model.

the running light and brake lights stopped working so being a complete eletrical novice i replaced the bulb without any success. i got hold of a haynes manual which suggested i should check the master earth comming from the battery so i checked this lead this morning and the connection is tight on so in isnt a loose connection as soon as i switched the bike on i noticed the running light had come back on so i checked the brake lights and sure enough they worked also. so i got my bike ready to go to work and as soon as i pressed the front brake lever they whole light cluster cut out.

i took the battery cover off again and had a little fiddle with the wires and the lights came back on, but as soon as i touched either brake  they cut out again

help me please as its driving me crazey and i dont want to go to a mechanic as the last time sommething like this happend they charged me £50.:wacko:

cheers in advance

Ian

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 154 days ago (27 February 2014 10:55)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Bad earth

there yea go you can have that info for free.

(help me please as its driving me crazey and i dont want to go to a mechanic as the last time sommething like this happend they charged me £50.):wacko: Hmm they should have given up there time to diagnosis a repair it for free,the bastards.

Reply to this Topic
stevens2375

Mar 10

stevens2375 says:

lighting

i take it your a mechanic then? i wasnt having a go, but the guy who fixed it last time he didnt even telll me what was wrong with it or what he did. its like everthing in life you get good ones and bad ones. this one kept my bike for 3 days and in the end i had to ring him to see what was going on he said it had been ready for a day but had forgotten to ring me.

was just trying to save a bit of money and time and learn a few thing s so i can try to fix them myself

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

stevens2375

Hmmm if you wish to learn a bit more about how motorcycle electrics work you could get the Hanes manual which will help you, also if you look at the Ask an Expert forum and look in the top sticky threads you will find info of all manner of things concerning motorcycles and how they work.

Unless you ask a mechanic what he has done to fix your problem he will not tell you as we all know time is money and if he spent his time explaining to each and every customer what he has done to their vehicle then that equates to a considerable amount of unpaid time.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

lights

If it`s a kickstart your using it could be very low battery voltage.

Reply to this Topic
08bobT

Aug 13

08bobT says:

electrical fault

Not sure if OP asked the mechanic what the fault was,but how long does it take to say "it was a bad earth,loose wire etc" ?
Time and money Smidget ? Get real.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices