Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati confirm move from factory to open class MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati confirm move from factory to open class

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Simon Patterson  says:

Ducati confirm move from factory to open class

Ducati have finally announced that they will make the move from factory to open class in 2014, with the team ditching their own electronics software in return for extra fuel, tyres and engine development. The Bologna factory has been experimenting with the option for a number of months, and rumours are circulating the paddock that it was an open class machine...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 207 days ago (28 February 2014 11:41)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
therockgod

Feb 14

therockgod says:

master class

I think Mr Dall'Igna has done a master of a move , only time will tell but at this point it’s the best option for ducati and for motogp in general , lets face it only two manufacturers fighting for race wins is not good for pinnacle of two wheel racing , iam not saying that switching to open will make ducati race winners but will turbo charge there development for the 2015 bike and help them understand and troubleshoot problems of desmosedici , can’t wait to see what Cal can do with soft tires in qualifying , and mix it with rossi and co. , this move will surely upset all mighty Honda but as it was said by CEO of the ducati project ‘why join the navy when you can be a pirate ‘…….

Reply to this Topic
aquarius

Jun 09

aquarius says:

OH HOW EVERYONE LAUGHED ...

When Cal sat down to play the Ducati piano. Those that weren’t abusing him for”selling-out & taking the money” ...

One can now see the Ezpeleta/Dorna  grab for power over the MMSA revealed as stark naked & obvious.  If this is a good thing in the much longer run - only time will tell. As my posts of several years back attest – it always seemed insanity to me that WSBK rules allowed far greater fuel loads & use – than the “ultimate peak Class” (MotoGP) is alleged to represent! Honda always claimed restrictions on fuel is both good for & promotes “R&D” for real life on streets & highways. Who are we to argue or disagree with that? However, the entire fuel issue has now very clearly become (along with the other “advantages” factored into this Open Class) the thin edge of an enormous Dorna wedge.

I worry this singular pursuit of enforced artificial equalisation & the “TV show” could ultimately lead to GP’s technical “irrelevance”. But then, Dorna own & control WSBK too – and – they are ONLY interested in the “TV show” & definitely not R&D – as the factory marques always were & still are.

Some STILL haven’t got over the shock of Ducati & Casey Stoner 7 long years ago! Biased, wrong & moronic claims of 2007 ignore fact & reality. Ducati only won the Title because they “caught the Japs napping” & “Are we about to see a repeat of 2007 - the fastest bike on the straights, holding others up in the corners” Sad, abject, reality & fact-denying rubbish!

The entire overall “package” = Titles: – The Desmo GP7 was quick up top – AND - blessed with Bridgestones suiting it & the “fastest” rider in the World atop it. Review some of the 07 races to bury the “myths”, OK? 10 Wins, 14 Podiums (out of 18 Rounds), 5 Poles & 367 Points imply much more than just a slight top speed advantage, agreed? Some posters are precious wee pups – their going MIA & AWOL in 2011 - when there were no excuses or alibis, was as noticeable as it was pathetic.

I bother to correct blatant bullshit, bias & lies because posts show MCN has a high quotient of kids & others that wouldn’t know a Suzuki from a Saluki - it would be a sin to let ignorance, giant fibs & purely partisan nonsense go unchallenged.

Stoner says the rider he so comprehensively beat 2007 – 2012 inclusive, was “dudded” out of the 2006 Title with “oddly” crook Michelins in the final Round - to allow the American, Hayden & HRC to take the Title. It’s not me saying this – read the Stoner biography – you just might learn something ...

CheersDesmosedicGP7

Reply to this Topic
DaniPedola

Mar 13

DaniPedola says:

Ha Ha, Saluki

Did you know I weigh about the same as a Pyrenees Mountain Dog. Also Casey has a history of bullshit, bias, and lies.

Cheers.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I have to take my hat off to Cal

for seeing this potential advantage coming. But I suppose I shouldn't be surpised he made such an intelligent and informed manoeuvre, he is English afterall.

The coming season could be the most unpredictable in 7 years, seeing some young chancer scoop the title thanks to a fast bike and clever moves by the team.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

seeing some young chancer scoop the title thanks to a fast bike and clever moves by the team.

You still haven't got over 2007 have you - the bitterness shines through - as per above and your earlier comment.

What is a fast bike? Top speed? Acceleration? Superior cornering? Agility?

They can all make a bike fast in one way or another - not just top speed - but the fastest? How about the part the rider plays?.

2007 has been done to death. It was won on merit. Given the proven ability of the other rider, a bike as advantageous as you keep crying about would have produced a landslide 1 - 2 in the championship. Move on.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Has Dovi's feedback made a difference?

If he has bulto tell me where because from what I have seen he has done no better than any other rider.
You really are a sad twin.

I said what I said Buell because you made another of your childish little digs and as ever, had nothing of any substance to say about the actual topic.

Dovi sounds very optimistic at the moment. He says they have made big improvments in braking and corner entry. His pace on the open or factory option bikes was very similar. His long run time was comparable to Bradl, Bautista and Espargaro, only bettered by Lorenzo's. Rossi didn't do a long run due to a front tyre issue apparently but on the longest he did, 8 laps, he did he was slower than Lorenzo.

So in answer to your question, it implies that this is the best test Ducati have had for some time following two disastrous years and then a year with Dovi riding it. Coincidence or not? Who knows. Time will tell.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Gigi is a sly old fox

He's obviously spotted something the japanese haven't and is gonna play it to the full. Its a shame Ducati have never been able to compete directly with the big boys at anytime, mano e mano so to speak. Even so, a clever win generated by the engineers and team strategy is still a win. I wonder if they'll pull it off again?

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

childish dig eh.

And all the comments about it being the riders fault were not a dig at VR?
Time after time the bike was fine but Rossi could not ride or develop it.
You really are a biased clown if you think Dovi has made any better changes to the bike since he rode it.Who had the better results throughout each year on the Ducati?
The present bike is still far from being competitive and no doubt being in the open class will help but there is still an awful lot of changes and work to be done.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DaniPedola

Mar 13

DaniPedola says:

Ducati

"But the limit of turning stays the same and that is a big problem for us." - Dovi

They won't be pulling anything off. The extra fuel doesn't make the bike any faster, engine "improvements" won't come for ages, the electronics are worse, they still can't turn, and here's the kicker, they don't have an Alien.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Blubbing Bulto..

..complaining about people having a dig at him..AGAIN!

Where's your twin..?

Nostro..! OH NOSTRO..!!

Your boyfriend needs some tissues..haha

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices