Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati confirm move from factory to open class MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati confirm move from factory to open class

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Simon Patterson  says:

Ducati confirm move from factory to open class

Ducati have finally announced that they will make the move from factory to open class in 2014, with the team ditching their own electronics software in return for extra fuel, tyres and engine development. The Bologna factory has been experimenting with the option for a number of months, and rumours are circulating the paddock that it was an open class machine...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 151 days ago (28 February 2014 11:41)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Hey Wosi

Ducati thread. What the hell do you suggest M1 do? As ever,I'm all ears. To be blunt,I hope Ducati riders 'blunt' the factory boys off the start line into turn 1 on any given occasion. Lets face it,this move is a total game changer within MGP. Ducati's and Gigi's priority prior to Qatar should surely be launch traction and top speed. Let the rest skittle into their respective places. Oh yeah.

Aquarius. Your post was right on the money.....TITLES and it is afterall a team sport. Back to the cricket in Cape Town, in the interim.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The odd part of the Japanese argument is

they want to keep their electronic packages to advance their knowledge and to assist development of road going motorcycles,  yet they're willing to freeze engine development.  I'm actually half surprised Yamaha didn't declare their factory effort open given their wealth of marelli experience and the performance of Espargaro senior.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

ok Buell

The present bike is still far from being competitive and no doubt being in the open class will help but there is still an awful lot of changes and work to be done.

You've made that statement, now can you give an opinion why?

Dovi is upbeat, he says the current version is the best he's ridden so far. He's not satying he's going to win the title on it, neither has anyone else as far as I know. But maybe they have a better starting point this year than they did last year.

His longer runs in testing were on a par with Bradl and Espargaro, who were quite close to Lorenzo. So maybe there is some justification in hiis optimism as it wasn't just one hot lap to grab a headline, he was virtually as quick as Bradl on his longer runs and Bradl was only bettered on them by Lorenzo and Pedrosa. If the test isn't representative, why were you using Rossi's time to make apoint on another topic. Rossi had to end his long run because of tyre issues which I'd have said was the opposite of positive.

So why does the time set by one bike generate optimism but the time set by another mean nothing?

Wosi - I'll borrow your hankies when you've finished your own blubbing, if there are any left.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

seems like a no brainer

Im actually a bit surprised as well that Yamaha aren't also going "open" Sweet 24 litres is like the good old days of 990's. As for Ducati, they are a longway back still, though after4 years of devolpment it stands to reason that they are making some progress. I think the new boss is clever by realizing that communication between factory staff and track staff is crucial.By rotating them from the factory to the track will allow for a better understanding of the cause and effect of development, as well. Ducati needs to be able to make changes as things progress so it makes the most sense. Sort of funny that Crutchlow has been dreaming of a "factory ride" for so long, and when he finally gets it, they become a satellite squad. Oh well I guess he can cry about as he counts his millions.

Reply to this Topic
DaniPedola

Mar 13

DaniPedola says:

Yeah!

Spot on Bootlegger, spot on Aquarium, TITLES. Of which Casey got two, and while riding in that same period, Vale got two. A sound thrashing there.

To be blunter, I hope Ducati crash and burn.

P.S. Not literally of course. I don't think I could stomach the sanctimonious harping, if god forbid Dovi, or Crutchlow chipped a nail.

Reply to this Topic
noddy61

Apr 13

noddy61 says:

a tenner on the enemy

Ah what's a tenner these days, @200-1 on Dovi could be a lot more come Christmas. A soft tyre to qualify and a hard race tyre that isn't allowing the jap bikes to push to hard in the corners then the Ducatis under steer pdoblems may not be to much of a problem,fuel won't and the engine life wont either. Come on Dovi

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

BHAM..!!

Ducati have blown it wide open..

By choosing to run with 12 engines and 24 litres they have shunned the MSMA and said "it cannot work for us under these rules."

Back in 2012, Burgess & Rossi were promised a new engine that never arrived..they needed the gearbox sprocket in a different place, for geometry and settings to give them more adjustment towards better balance.

This is the main reason Ducati have chosen to go 'Open'..more flexibility to experiment with engine design and unlimited testing.

Dovi has qualified well in the past on soft rubber, but was despondent all last year and miles off in the races..still under-steering and struggling with tyres.

Now Gobby has gone and Gigi is there, things look a bit more promising..but they have to get that engine updated and re-packaged for better weight distribution to help the chassis.

There's also the added bonus of being first dibs in.

Ducati have ported their software over to Marelli, and it seems the new championship spec electronics - limited sensors, less complex and un-adaptive - will have a lot of Corse's input.

Go Ducati.!

What's Casey up to.?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Ducati Factory

word is that Dovis fast lap was on a Factory spec, not Open spec bike.
The decision to run Open Spec is to enable development because one lap does not make a season.

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/200707/1/very-big-open-software-upgrade-not-yet-used.html

It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the season.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

All Ducati MotoGP Bikes To Race Under "Open" Rules "Factory option appears to be too restrictive for our needs"

www.superbikeplanet.com/2014/Feb/140228c.htm

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices