Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati confirm move from factory to open class MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati confirm move from factory to open class

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Simon Patterson  says:

Ducati confirm move from factory to open class

Ducati have finally announced that they will make the move from factory to open class in 2014, with the team ditching their own electronics software in return for extra fuel, tyres and engine development. The Bologna factory has been experimenting with the option for a number of months, and rumours are circulating the paddock that it was an open class machine...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 145 days ago (28 February 2014 11:41)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

Now the future of GPs has become clearer

Handing over your algorithms is the true master stroke from Ducati, it's unlikely any of the other teams have the capability to use them fully so Ducati seem to have gained much without really losing anything.

The extra flexibility to develop the bike is only part of the reason they've gone "open", the realisation that that's the future format is probably the real reason and they get the multiple benefits of extra fuel, engines, development, tyres, continued software development etc for a loss of not much really.

I would be entirely unsurprised to see Ducati winning this season.

Reply to this Topic
jewels

Nov 09

jewels says:

im back

they have just realised the bike crap,yes JEWELS is back after a week of being cut off from the WEB to much abuse going out ,YES IM BACK,

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

word is that Dovis fast lap was on a Factory spec, not Open spec bike.

Probably but not entirely sure. However, he did say there was little noticebale difference to lap times between the two types of software. His long run on day 3, which presumably was with the Open ECU, was very close to Bradl's pace who was only bettered by Lorenzo and Pedrosa.

Have they really made inroads to a solution? Hopefully so, and that it's not another false dawn

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Develoment

I don't think we'll see much improvement before mid-season .. there is no quick fix for Ducati's problems. The open class will give them the opportunity to improve in all areas while engine development for the factories is frozen.    By mid season we'll see whether that progress is significant and whether they will be up there by the end of the season. 

Dovi has had a season on it .. I wonder how good Cal's development feedback is ? 

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

Obviously the 'open' ECU makes the bike less competitive than the factory option,  but what was it tested on.   Presumably it was tested in comparison with a Honda, so what is not say that once  fitted to the Ducati it may throw up completely different results and the Ducati is ultra competitive. Interesting times.

Reply to this Topic
davefinnerty

Sep 13

davefinnerty says:

Same

I think this is definitely the way forward for Ducati. Id like to know where Yamaha stand on the issue though, I presume because of the Forward Racing bake they are not against it and will gather plenty of useful data from Pol's bike.

I dont think its the answer for Moto GP in the long term though because GP needs to be the the pinnicle of technology and I presume if all swithch to Opne Class it wont  be long until they decide to put a development freeze on engines again if the factories start pouring the money once destined for electronics back in to engine development and costs spiral again.

I dont think cost cutting measures work in GP's unless they could implement an overall budget cap which judging by F1 is very diffiicult to do

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices