Skip to content

Discuss This Future classics General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Future classics

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN Staff  says:

Future classics

2003 Ducati 999Few bikes have proved as controversial as Pierre Terblanche’s replacement for the iconic 916 and this fact alone makes it a worthy future classic.Launched in 2003 the 999 instantly hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons. The graceful and flowing lines of the 916 were replaced with an angular look, weird stacked headlights and a double sided...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 238 days ago (28 February 2014 14:03)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Patience...

I like this kind of article MCN.  It's nice to think a motorcycle might be appreciating rather than depreciating in the garage.  However, I think you'd have to hang on to a cross plane R1 for a very long time before it started to gain value.  Maybe pick out a few bikes that have bottomed out on price and are about to start gaining value again.  Any suggestions? 

Reply to this Topic
tel3

May 10

tel3 says:

Ducati 999

I know I might be in a gang of one but I actually prefer the 999 to the 916. I always thought the 916 was 'a girls bike' and, to my eyes, looks very dated now. Just proves that all bike styling is subjective. Neither of them can hold a candle to the 888 though!

Reply to this Topic
chirone97

Jul 10

chirone97 says:

Honda SP-2

Rare. Built to beat Ducati at their own game. Will never be as pretty, but they did beat Ducati at their own game.

Reply to this Topic
chirone97

Jul 10

chirone97 says:

Honda SP-2

Rare. Built to beat Ducati at their own game. Will never be as pretty, but they did beat Ducati at their own game.

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

Good Investment?

If you were thinking of an older Ducati as an investment I suggest reading MCN's own reviews. 916/996/998's all are are high maintenance and costly to keep running in good order. And it seems If you mothball them to avoid costly service bills the electrics are likely to die on you. Owners rate them higher than MCN but not by much! Running costs would likely wipe out any gain in value over the years.

The 999 is slightly more reliable than the above but something like a clean old GPZ 900 will give a better return in the long run. Compare changing a cam chain on the GPZ (cheap and easy) to new belts for any of the above Dukes. Of course if money is no object and investment isn't the intention you'll get more pleasure out of staring at a Duke in your garage/shed than the slabby old GPZ. The GPZ is arguably a better roadbike though, at least on the crumbling tarmac tracks that we have to ride on these days.

Some might say owning a classic isn't about investment but how many of us wish we'd bought a Kawasaki H2 when they reached the crazy price of £6000 eight or nine years ago? What do they cost today? £12-£14,000. Ouch.

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

A good call

Both the Ducati 999 and 749 were way ahead of their time in the looks department and I think this was the reason they were not that popular when released in 2003. Now days if you want a bike to stand out from the rest. draw crowds  and recieve admiring comments This could be the bike. For a twin they are difulcult to work on and do require regular servicing ( new cam belts every 2 years ect)  I only have a 749s and a decent 600 will blow it a way but if you want to feel like Troy Bayliss every time you ride it and want some thing different and exotic which is at the moment cheap to buy Both the Ducati 999 and 749. So if you want an investment  Then both are worth a look 

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Agree

Have to agree with Tel3 the 916 now looks dated (and I never thought I would say that).

It is also very small and all of the riders (unfortunately) are getting bigger. Most seen riding these machines now look somewhat foolish. Unless you are the size of Foggy or Haslam you look silly and top heavy riding these ultra thin, wrist and back breaking machines. Classic for sitting in a glass case yes. Riding no.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Triumph T595

and similar era Speed Tripples have got to worth a look. TL1000S's. Off-the-wall one: Original model Suzuki Bandit 1200s (if you can find one that's not super-messed-with). Y2K 'Blades.

Reply to this Topic
plumbgod

Jan 14

plumbgod says:

What! no Triumph, whats the matter MCN did they cancel the cheque this month?

Reply to this Topic
Rico25

Mar 14

Rico25 says:

Suzuki B-king no sucessor model plus sold in very smal numbers

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle