Skip to content

General Let's talk big bikes! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Let's talk big bikes!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Let's talk big bikes!

So with me no longer being a "learner rider" having passed my A1 light motorcycle test in September last year and enjoying the benefits of not riding with the dreaded L plates and getting in some experience of riding two up (the little 125 rides better two up haha). I have decided I want to do my A2 when I turn 19 very soon. However I'm at a lost end when it comes to looking at 500's, some say the Gs500 is good, some says the cb500. What's your guy's opinion on a good first 500? And what's conciderd high milage ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 151 days ago (04 March 2014 10:16)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Hope this helps

Between the GS500 and the CB500 the CB500 is very much the better bike. There is nothing wrong with the GS but it's a slower and less quality product than the CB500. You could also consider the GPZ500S which falls between the 2 bikes you've mentioned. Kawasaki also made the ER500/ ER600/ ER650 which could also be considerred with the bigger and newer models being very much better than the smaller/ older ones. Also very much worth considering is the SV650 however for most of the bikes mentioned above you may 'technically'  need a restrictor kit (A2 BHP power limit)

Average mileage for bikes used to be around 4000miles a year so use that as a figure for determining if the bikes got high or low mileage. Some bikes if left for a long time will deteriorate (eg the rubber in tyres dries out and they loose grippyness, carbs can become  gummed up etc).

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

had 2 500/650 and

buying my third this week , had a cbf500 , fantastic bike easy to ride and fast enough , had a few shots on a gs and liked to look but handeling wasnt anywhere near as good , next was er6f , a brill bike to ride fast and agile pity the build quality isnt as good as should be  , im in middle of buying another CBF now , id recommend the cbf as all round quality etc , er6f better to ride but quality lets it down 

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Um,

this is big bike.

Reply to this Topic
Beefy1902

Feb 14

Beefy1902 says:

Bikes

Did test on an ER6N and they still go well with a restrictor fitted (younger chap who learned with me had a restrictor in his one). The Honda hornet or Suzuki Bandit go well restricted too and you would get one at a decent price.

If your not too tall and fancy something sporty check out the zxr400 and cbr400 (baby blade)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices