Skip to content

General Laws that should change Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Laws that should change

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Laws that should change

whats everyones view on this?

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-11-laws-that-should-be-changed-for-motorcyclists/24423.html

all good stuff in my opinion even though i have difficulty with number 2!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 142 days ago (04 March 2014 10:28)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

saw that a while back

got to agree with most of the points........ the white line thing is definitely something that should be changed for us bikers. 

Many roads around my area, that for years had perfectly safe overtaking zones, now have solid white lines... for no apparent reason.:upset: 

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Solid white lines: motorcycles are permitted to cross solid white lines when appropriate.

-Who will deem 'appropriate'? there will be more crashes

Undertaking: motorcycles are permitted to use any lane on a motorway or dual carriageway to pass other vehicles.

-Dangerous as hell.. nobody should ever undertake

National speed limit: when the national speed limit sign is shown, the maximum speed for motorcycles is 80mph.

What??? Why?? Get booked up on some track days!

Bike-specific speed awareness courses: as an alternative to accepting three points, motorcyclists can choose to attend a bike-specific speed awareness course.

- Even for repeat offenders?? Speed is speed, it's not vehicle specific.

Repeal the helmet law (full licence holders only): remove the requirement for full motorcycle licence holders to wear a

-Hmm.. Personal choice is one thing, personally i'd always wear one as I know even a 20mph smack to the tarmac can kill you.. If this law change happens, riders who sustain injury will try to sue the govt for changing the law. I think you must be mental to even want to ride bare-headed.

Experience-graded full motorcycle licences with equivalently graded motorway and dual carriageway speed limits: replace the standard driving licence with three experience-based grades of full bike licence: novice (green), intermediate (blue) and expert (red).

Way too difficult to vet this.. and 'experienced' car drivers are going to say... WTF???? And what about people who own a car and a bike??

Nationwide access to bus lanes: all powered two-wheelers will have unrestricted access to bus lanes.

YES YES YES... Finally some sense!!

Repeal learner laws......

Yes, good ideas.

Nationwide ban on charging for bike parking..

Absolutely... Although I don't believe it is workable in Westminster, London.

Criminalise refusing to serve motorcyclists with helmets on

-Ha ha.. ridiculous! I know all MCNer's are upstanding members of the community...:hmmm: but there's a tonne of chav's out there who love filling up and riding away. Not such a big deal removing the lid is it?

act of Parliament to enable local councils to restrict pedestrian access in TTROs (temporary traffic regulation orders)

-I'm all for road-racing in England so if it helps then this is a great idea.

Some good... and some stooopid ideas!   :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

riding down the A34 the other day...

there were at times as many as 30 cars all in the outside lane.......... and a bloody great big empty space in the inside lane.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Totally agree Snev..

It is one of my pet hates....   :mad:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/community/forums/categories/topic/?&topic-id=441625

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Trouble is though

I reckon all those drivers were actually trying to overtake whilst not being overtaken themselves......

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

You can

legally under take in many situations. In the case of the outside lane moving slowly and the inside lane moving faster, you may under take - see the highway code.

As for the ideas on that page, I agree with flyer. Seatbelts are mandatory as people going flying was a primary cause of dying. Without helmets, the main cause of dying was head injury (80%!!) so it makes sense. Some people are intelligent enough to decide for themselves but to do that you need to have all the information available to make a balanced decision on the risk - which is substantial. Given the speeds that bicycles go these days, I think they should be mandated to wear helmets. If nothing else it saves the taxpayer a lot of money.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

again errm

I 'm afraid I do not concur with many on that list apart from the bus lanes and bike charging.

I think more thought was needed on this list

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

all good stuff in my opinion even though i have difficulty with number 2!

More roughage!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

As I posted a couple of days

ago, a 250cc/30-HP limit would be fine for learners of any age, and should apply for a year to all new motorcyclists.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

"Dangerous as hell.. nobody should ever undertake"

Fine, as long as the law requiring slower traffic to yield the inner lane to overtaking traffic is rigorously enforced.  Otherwise, one becomes a mobile chicane or roadblock, which is not safe.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices