Ask an Expert CBF500 no spark Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > CBF500 no spark

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pookythebear7

Dec 13

CBF500 no spark

I'm getting no spark on my 2004 CBF500 non ABS. I bought the bike as non runner with suspected starter clutch issue. That has now been sorted and the startr motor is turning the engine over but I can't get any spark on the spark plugs. Is there immobiliser on this bike with key chip linked to ECU? I checked for obvious like faulty spark plugs. Also tried to put just the spark plug leads near the metal parts to check for spark. 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 233 days ago (04 March 2014 16:33)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

no spark

Welcome, I don`t  think yours or mine (cbf1000) had a Honda H.I.S.S. system fitted, it could have an aftermarket one fitted. Not sure :unsure: but any immobilizer should prevent engine turn over. Have you upset any wiring to the pulse pick up coil or checked the assembly out. kcmc  on here or others will have more idea.  

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBF 2004

Hi Pookythebear7 and welcome to the site:smile

The problem i see here straight away is this bike was bought as a none runner and is still a none runner,so the problem of no spark could well have been a problem in conjunction with the starter clutch problem.So i think you need to post everthing you have tested and how you have tested  before everybody jumps in saying it could be this or that and you saying ive tried that and tried that.((( As far as know this model year does have H.I.S.S. fitted(does here anyway)other thing is the pick up sensor is locatad in the clutch case side crank end,not in the generator case fly wheel with the starter clutch.))))So you need to check all the safety devices connections and opperation again.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
pookythebear7

Dec 13

CBF500 no spark

Thanks both for a quick reply! Well, the starter clutch turned out to be fine and the issue was that the starter motor was turning the wrong way! :blink:

The advice I got online was to change the + and - wires on the starter motor to change the poles and now it's cranking the engine just fine. Now the problem is that I'm not sure if this could have damaged the pulse generator or something else. I'm yet to check if there are any pulses being produced by the generator To diagnose the issue with no spark I checked all the fuses. Also resistance with multimeter set to ohms (kilo ohms) on the ignition coils and pulse generator. This is correct according to Haynes manual. I also have no neutral light on dash even after taking out the sensor from the crankcase and trying spare sensor from spare engine but this might be just the diode in the dash. Other things I haven't checked yet are side stand sensor and the sensor for clutch lever pulled in. I was expecting the engine to crank without the clutch lever pulled in when I'm in neutral but this does not happen. The lever must be pulled in for starting. Is this normal? Also, should the engine crank with neutral switch or other safety sensor faulty? Do any of the sensors stop the engine from turning over altogether or do they just stop spark from being produced? This is becoming headache and I will appreciate any ideas.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

+ --

If the battery has been fitted with the leads the wrong way or starter motor it should have blown the main fuse and could have blown your C.D.I unit and more expensive stuff.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices