You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Yamaha T Max 500

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

southy1981

Sep 10

southy1981 says:

Yamaha T Max 500

Hi, Just a quick one if anyone can help.

Riding home yesterday i stopped at a petrol station i use frequently.
Went in and paid, came out, key in, ignition on, dials did the little dance, pulled brake in, thumbed the starter, nothing, didnt even turn over.
I remembered reading in my owner manual, that electrical interference can mess with the immobiliser, so wheeled it around the corner and tried again, nothing.
Getting a little bit annoyed, i sat there looking at it, and tried again, i pulled both brake levers in as hard as i could and it started.

Still thinking interference was the cause, i rode home.
Came out the next day, and it did it again. But pulling both levers hard got it going again.

Now i believe that the switched that activate the brake light could be a little bit tempremental, so removed the rubber gromit that covers them and gave them a liberal coating of GT85 and worked them a little bit.
I have not had a chance to test this fix but will in the morning.

Just wondered if anyone else may have some input as to what i could or might be??

Have thought about using one of the other keys i got with it (the black one, not the red one) just to see if the one i am currently using might be a bit on the tempremental side!!

Many thanks

Southy

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 147 days ago (04 March 2014 16:35)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

safety switches

That happened to me on my suzuki, my fault (age thing) forgot to pull the clutch before pressing the button. I would check or bypass that switch (temp). Also I`ve never heard of a brake safety switch but check that.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha T Max 500 year?

Hi Southty1981

As with most rev and go bikes the brake has to be applied to start the engine(this is a safety device)some only one lever pulled some both,with the T-Max can't remember but the problem lies here,you will need to replace the brake light switch activating switches which are both located under both switch gear brake lever assemblies(they are handed R/L).Its a commen problem especially on cheaper model rev go scooters,once water has got inside there usually doomed:upset:you can join the wires together on the faulty switch to get yourself going,but remember this is also the brake light so if you leave it connected the brake light will now stay on permanently(don't touch the live to earth or you will blow the brake light fuse,and the bike wont start coz you then have broken the start circuit.(no alien or cosmic interference am afraid:lol:)

Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

The switch you need below

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices