You are in... Forums > General > General > Motorcycle dealers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

sportbikesi

Jun 13

sportbikesi says:

Motorcycle dealers

I have 2 questions and if this post gets alot of interest i'll explain my reason for asking, it's a long story and dont want to bore anyone who might not be interested, all i'll say for now is that i'm asking due to a recent job interview and i've got experience on both sides of the counter (i've worked in a motorcycle dealership and been a customer in dealerships)

1) When purchasing a bike from a dealership, would you rather a sales person who is also passionate about motorcycles and has alot of pride in their work OR just a sales person who has zero passion for motorcycles and it's just a job to them?

2) If you have a bad buying experience or get vibes that the people working in the dealership dont care once they've got your money are you likely to go back in the future (servicing, accessories, changing your bike etc...) OR would you find another dealer even though they might be further away?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 195 days ago (06 March 2014 16:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

dealers

1) yes then no,

2) no then yes.

Reply to this Topic
CB13

Apr 10

CB13 says:

dealers 2

1.yes /no

2.no/yes

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

have to agree

yes/no

no/yes

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

Anyone remember

Motorcycle city ?

I remember reading a job advert for a sale position with them in which they stated (and I shit you not), "knowledge of motorcycles desirable, but not essential"

There were some good eggs in there, but mostly they seemed to employ spotty ignorant ex Curry's sales people,

Anyway in answer to the question.

I do not need to be sold a bike because I know what I'm looking for, and more importantly, what to look for, so it doesn't matter where the right bike turns up.

If it's what you're looking for, it's straight and not nicked, is in the right condition with the history you need, and the right deal can be struck, then who cares where it comes from.

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

Anyone remember

Motorcycle city ?

I remember reading a job advert for a sale position with them in which they stated (and I shit you not), "knowledge of motorcycles desirable, but not essential"

There were some good eggs in there, but mostly they seemed to employ spotty ignorant ex Curry's sales people,

Anyway in answer to the question.

I do not need to be sold a bike because I know what I'm looking for, and more importantly, what to look for, so it doesn't matter where the right bike turns up.

If it's what you're looking for, it's straight and not nicked, is in the right condition with the history you need, and the right deal can be struck, then who cares where it comes from.

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Ive..

Bought my last 3 bikes from the same dealership because they are passionate about their bikes.I always get a good deal and i'm very happy with their sales and aftercare services..:biggrin:

Bad experiences with dealerships..  Yep and i've taken my cash elsewhere..:mad: 

Reply to this Topic
bigboots

Jan 10

bigboots says:

Same as others

1) yes/no

2)no/yes

Also if they think I know nothing about the bike I want to buy (I take ages reading up then test riding),because am female, I never go back!

Can't do the cross face on lap top!  :(

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Agree

with everyone else.

I have nothing but praise for my Triumph dealer. I get very well treated every time I go in, even though I don't use their workshop (only because my bike is serviced at home).

I have had to ask them to stop scattering rose petals before me when I walk into the shop. It was just getting beyond a joke :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
sportbikesi

Jun 13

sportbikesi says:

Thanks

Thanks for your replies, i know they might seem like silly obvious questions but i just wanted to double check. I worked in a medium sized dealership selling new and used bikes for quite a while (left due to moving from london to wales) and can honestly say at least 99/100 customers we dealt with was happy and returned to us (the odd 1/100 was the kind of customer who you could never please no matter what you tried)

I wont mention any names but there's 3 large dealerships not too far from me (one has one showroom, another has two showrooms and the other has 3 showrooms), over the years i've been a customer to all 3 companies and to be honest, in my opinion all 3 are 5H1T and i'm amazed that people return to them. It's the same story in all 3, if you take all the sales people and managers and put them together you'll have about 30 people. out of that 30 i would say only 5 or 6 actually ride bikes themself and have some kind of passion about motorcycles, the rest are plain arrogant, rude and would be better off selling washing machines or mobile phones.

Anyway a job vacancy popped up in one of the 3 dealerships (the one where i feel i was treated the worst) for a sales person so i thought i would hand in my CV as i would love to get back into the bike business. I had an interview and couldn't believe most of the stuff i was hearing, i wont write the interview word for word but here's some quotes from the sales manager (this particular dealership sells new bikes ranging from £7,999 to well over £20,000 so spending that kind of money on a bike you would want a friendly sales person who is passionate about the product and is actually able to ride the bikes)

"you might be passionate about our bikes but you'll have to think of them as tins of beans, they are just an item to sell to who ever walks through the door"

"only one person in our sales team have a motorcycle licence"

"If you don't hit the targets we set we'll end up having a meeting that'll probably end with bad news"

"we'll train you how to talk to customers and make the sale"

After the interview i didn't want the job with them (plus a few days later they called to let me know they have offered it to someone else) The sales manager didn't care that i'm actually passionate about motorcycles, didn't care that i have quite a bit of knowledge about motorcycles and didn't care that i've previously had years of experience being a motorcycle sales person doing it my way. He basically wanted a selling machine who takes the customers money without caring if the customer is happy or not. I can understand that from a business point of view (make as much money as possible) but from a customer point of view you'll go there once but never again, like myself, even before the job interview i decided that i wouldn't be a customer to them again and definitely not now, they turned me down but i think i was too human for them lol

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

I applied for a job in a dealer

I won't mention names.

I went for a sales position.

Now I've just gone the wrong side of 50, but there are guys in there my age, and whilst I do not have any motorcycle sales experience, I do have over 30 years riding under the belt.

My knowledge of bikes both in terms of products and technical, is pretty good, and I have spent many years doing customer orientated jobs.

Anyhow, I got a "thanks but no thanks" letter back from them, and that was that.

About a month later I was in there and spotted a new sales person.

Ah Ha, this is who got the job, so I went up for a chat.

Turns out she had no sales experience, and had never even ridden a bike.

Her previous jobs were in caring for the elderly.

She was damned pretty though,

I don't resent not getting the job, but this was a joke.

Someone with no knowledge, or experience of bikes, who doesn't even know how to ride one, get's a well paid job in a multi franchised dealership as a sales person,,

What a frickin joke.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices