Skip to content

General Slow speed control - tips? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Slow speed control - tips?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MancAnd

Oct 13

MancAnd says:

Slow speed control - tips?

I've onto my Mod 1 for my DAS and most of it is slow speed control. I have the clutch control and rear break balance down pretty well. However, there is one thing that is holding me back - I am struggling like hell when it comes to turning left.

Anything to the right is absolutely bang on, u-turn for fun all day, but something is off turning left and it resulted in me dropping the bike twice on Friday and knackering my leg. What I thought would be the easiest manoeuvre - the slalom is what I am finding the hardest to be fully in control.

I'm back on it Monday and Friday, do you guys/gals have any wisdom that you could offer? I think that its something to do with the fact that when I am turning left I feel like I am going to go over and the clutch control goes a little as I start fighting with the handle bars.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 237 days ago (09 March 2014 13:37)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Beefy1902

Feb 14

Beefy1902 says:

Figures of 8

Do figures of 8 as slow and tight as you can until you wear a hole in the tarmac.

Hold throttle wee bit open, use clutch to moderate speed and apply a wee bit back brake, look where you want to go and relax, the bike will do it for ya :)

When i first started on big bikes i was nervous and it transfers into the bike, got relax and let body loosen up

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

Loads of practice

required mate. Try to practice often to get your brain to get it right.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

Go slow

and control it! :wink:

as said already its just practice really!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Where

abouts are you? If you're around Leeds I can give you a hand. Odds are that as you're turning left you're closing the throttle and destabilising the bike.

The reasons you destabilise the bike are several fold - one that the engine stops spinning which reduces the gyroscopic effect and thus the bike doesn't want to keep itself upright. The other reason you probably fall over is that if you're dragging the rear brake and close the throttle, you'll stop. Then you lose the gyroscopic effect of the wheels turning and you fall over.

You need to work on keeping your right hand still when turning left or slightly opening the throttle to stop yourself closing it when turning left. When you turn right you tend to open the throttle which doesn't matter if you're riding the clutch.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

mancand

after all these years my faux pas is turning right.

Apparently it's something to do with your eyes.

I'm right handed with a dominant left eye which makes turning right more difficult for the brain to determine.

Could be bollocks and my optician is talking shite 

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

The trick to

a low speed offset cone weave is looking where you need to be going, and not at the cone you are trying to get around - made all the difference for me.

Reply to this Topic
MancAnd

Oct 13

MancAnd says:

Cheers for advice

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Back on it again this morning for training, for a newbie its a lot of things to try and get right at the same time. More than anything I felt like a tit when I dropped it. I was going great throughout the day but right at the end I hit a cone (turning left) and lots control trying to correct it and ended up with the bike on top of me. 

Moving at speed I have absolutely no problems, I can manage that throttle control and clutch pretty well up until the left turn gets in. I will concentrate on making sure that I'm not coming off the throttle and that I am not being too heavy on the rear brake. Thinking about it, I do seem to slow down going into that left turn.

All in all the slow speed control seems to be the toughest part of riding so far. Also, it was an eye opener getting on the 600 and trying to pick it up when I dropped it, deceptively heavy!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

I practice holding a steady

throttle and clutch slip by creeping up to red lights - make a game of it and see how few times you have to put a foot down.

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Keep your chin up

As already said, plenty of revs, slip the clutch and control speed using the rear brake.

Keep your fingers off the front brake, don't touch it.

Figure of eights are good practice, start nice and big and gradually close them in so they are as tight as you can get them, you should be able to do them with the bars touching the stops.

Most important look where you want to go and not just ahead of you, so if you are doing a u turn you should be pretty much looking over your shoulder and keep looking at your target. Also shifting your weight slightly to the outside of the turn can help your balance, it won'tfeel like the bike will suddenly tip in.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices