You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Kawasaki ZX10

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

PaulZX10

Mar 14

PaulZX10 says:

Kawasaki ZX10

I have a Kawasaki  ZX10 Model number ZX1000JBF bought in May 2012. From new it has been experiencing battery problems, basically when the battery gets low the red light comes on, this has been happening once every six weeks even though I use my bike daily, winter included. I do on average 120 miles per week minimum . I have taken it back to the dealer four times and they have checked the charging system and are finding no faults, they can not give me any answers as to why this is happening but told me to charge the battery regularly, which I have been doing at least once a month, but don't really think that I should have to do this on a bike I have bought from brand new and is only 2 years old, I have also bought a replacement battery from the same dealers and it was still the same issue. My bike is still under warranty until the and of May. Does any one have any advice on what to do about this or has an one had similar problems? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 135 days ago (12 March 2014 19:57)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

Welcome Paul, you say battery problems but what problems are you talking about??

Is the F1 light coming as well or do you have to reset any clocks?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ZX10 battery

You're only doing 12 miles each way/journey. This is probably not enough to charge the battery properly/fully.

Either go for a longer ride once a week, or use an optimate.

Reply to this Topic
PaulZX10

Mar 14

PaulZX10 says:

jaffa90 reply

Hi, not so much a battery problem more a charging problem, I don't think its the F1 light it a red warning light under the neutral light, which stays on after starting after about five weeks of use, don't have to reset any clocks until after I have taken the battery out to charge AGAIN!

Reply to this Topic
PaulZX10

Mar 14

PaulZX10 says:

eatcs01 reply

Although I only do 12 miles each way, I done exactly the same on previous ZX10 the model before my current one and it never had an issue nor did the fireblade and gsxr I had before them. 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki ZX10 2012

Hi PaulZX10 and welcome to the site :smile

I think it's a no brainer,if it's under warranty(you say it is)then insist they repair the fault now,before you take the case up with fare trades,there is a good Bikelawyer on site,maybe talk to him and ask to send a solicitors letter to make them think.Good Luck

ACIC

Andrew Campbell

http://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/

KCMC :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

I`m confused here,:blink::blink::blink:,why are you taking the battery to charge??????? 

As my first post what problems have you????????????? 

Reply to this Topic
PaulZX10

Mar 14

PaulZX10 says:

jaffa90 reply2

Basically the battery is not charging it's self in the bike like it should, so there for I am having to take it out and charge regularly, which is not right, that's the problem I have :wacko: and it's not been just one battery and none of my other bikes have I ever had to take the battery out and charge when it is in constant use!  

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery?????????????

Again, why are you taking the battery out to charge?????????????

Again, what problems have you??????????

You say the bike starts and runs.:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink: 

Reply to this Topic
charlie79

Sep 13

charlie79 says:

zx10

Hi. When the red light illuminates what voltage readings do you get at the battery both with the engine running and stopped. If your charging system is OK then you would expect to find around 14.5 volts with the engine running and somewhere in the region of 12.5 volts with it at rest. If these figures aren't too far out its unlikely your looking at a battery or charging fault. When you put the battery on charge are you disconnecting it from the bike? If so it could well be that the red warning light is informing you of a stored fault code and disconnecting the battery for a period of time is clearing that code. Ideally it needs hooking up to diagnostics system preferably whilst the light is showing. As kcmc said though if the bike is still under warranty it is up to the dealer to sort.:smile

Reply to this Topic
PaulZX10

Mar 14

PaulZX10 says:

Charlie79 Reply

Unfortunately I don't have a garage that I have any power in so have to take the battery out to charge, I don't have any way of knowing what the battery readings are. I can go out and start the bike the red light comes on and stays on, get two miles up the road turn the bike off and back on and the red light is off?? Then I continue my journey and the light will then stay off until the following morning. The dealer has not had it with the light on it's hard to judge exactly when it will come on although on average it's every 6 weeks and that would mean them having the bike back for 6 weeks or so to get the bike on the diagnostic machine with the light on, but you could be on to some thing there, because I don't actually  how they have been looking for the problem when they have had it back.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices