Ask an Expert issue with warm engine Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > issue with warm engine

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

shanebarton1990

Mar 14

issue with warm engine

hi,I have a 2008 derbi terra 125 and it has an issue with idling on warm up its been to a garage before they sorted it for a month then the same problem occurs,I have kept it well maintained!
bike starts,idler ok for a few minutes,once warm it cuts out,starts up again and try to throttle up it pops a little then cuts out again,just wondering if anyone has any advice, many thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 189 days ago (13 March 2014 14:06)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

warm engine

Welcome shane, don`t know the spec of your bike,if it`s a carb model it sounds like fuel contamination, if you have a separate choke fuel feed try this when it acts daft, if the choke trick works then the carb pilot jet is blocking.

If that `s the case then an inline fuel filter inbetween the fuel tap and carb is best after a tank rust check.   

Reply to this Topic
shanebarton1990

Mar 14

Issue with warm engine

I found a split in the air tube from the air box to carb,how much would this want to cut it out as it warms?
jaffa90, hi sorry for late reply,it is carb,but auto choke(not sure if possible to manually over ride etc)the fuel tank itself is plastic(I'm lead to believe!)
I did read that where the fuel leaves the tank the fuel line itself is also one issue they say it's too long,I'm willing to try anything as I really want to ride her without the feeling that it'll conk out somewhere down the road!
many thanks!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

warming up

Take your time shane.:blink::blink::blink::blink:

Any air entering the carb has to be filtered /restricted, also air in between the carb and engine is a no no.

It sounds like you have a weak mixture on the pilot jet as my first post. It could be fuel or air adjusted.:unsure: 

Reply to this Topic
shanebarton1990

Mar 14

Issue with warm engine

I didn't  mean to sound like I was rushing along,just miss riding!

if I was to (temporarily)jubilee clip the hole I found and it makes any sort of difference I know where I can get the part from.
I will be working on her tomorrow at some point,I'll drain the tank and put fresh fuel in,make sure there isn't anything on fuel filter(I know how to go about that) I won't mess with carb settings just yet(if I do it'll go to garage so it's done properly,I wouldn't want to completely mess it up), with the pilot jet would that be an easy to get to with body work off?
I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me,thank you,

Reply to this Topic
shanebarton1990

Mar 14

Issue with warm engine

Ok,so today I managed to work on the bike,had to charge it for abit, I can now say for sure it is an electrical issue,she started went for abit then as I put seat back on everything went off and bike cut out!
wiggled the fuses and lights came on,myself and my dad changed the fuse box with brand new in-line fuses(all properly done) all was good when I started it up again,then I went to take her for a quick test ride,knocked her into gear,up a few revs got ten foot then had to put into neutral for a awkward doorway, rolled her into doorway(engine running) tilted to one side,off!
tried bumping but seemed to have no spark,
so now I am wondering what could it possibly be? We have tried a few connections but didn't have time to complete all tests,any ideas?
thanks

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

did ya

knock the kill switch off as you waggled through the doorway? Check wiring harness around headstock.

Reply to this Topic
shanebarton1990

Mar 14

Issue with warm engine

Hi, there is no kill switch on the bike.
also there is a whine coming from some part in the headstock area,trying to find it when all I see is wires and connectors,I'll have to strip it all back later!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices