You are in... Forums > General > General > mechanical help please

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bcamsell

Apr 03

bcamsell says:

mechanical help please

I need to take my front wheel off to take it along and get a new tyre fitted, problem is, one of the caliper bolts is seized. Tried penetrating oil(no laughing at the back), a heat gun and even a hammer but nowts shifting the bugger! Any suggestions? Its an Allen bolt, I'm pretty sure its starting to deform so thought I would ask before I fuck it right in and have to take a grinder to it. Ta.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 222 days ago (18 March 2014 17:16)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Some form

of impact driver thingamabob?

If it were me I'd just use rage, fail and take it to a man but I have heard that said man might use the above or something like.

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

bcamsell

If it looks like it's going to strip the head, you could try spot welding an allen key bit to it ( remember to disconnect the battery if going down this route)

Failing that get phil round with his rage or just 'fuck it right in' :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Have you tried a ...

Hammer Four.....?

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

for knocking nails

in snev. haha, I'm guessing you send your newbies at work for a left handed one :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

We send

our students to ask a porter for a "long stand".

Best one is to send them to gynae for a fallopian tube, although our lot aren't that stupid.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Nope....

A Long Wait and some left handed Screwdrivers......(usually)....and when Decorating, a tin of Stripy Paint....the Hammer four has been good.....over the years mind......:smile

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Once sent a girl

to the butchers for a pound of chicken lips, butcher played along and said he'd sold out, she was thick though :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

bcam

If the internal corners are starting to round off on your allen bolt, get hold of a parallel punch with a good squared off tip, small enough not to outsize the head of the bolt. Use a hammer, doesn't have to be the heaviest one you have, to tap around the top of the bolt to the point where the opening is a bit smaller that the allen key.

Now get your allen key, if you're using a standard allen key with a right angled top on it, forget that because the same thing will happen again, get a socket type one 3/8 drive should do and tap it into the bolt with your hammer. The fettling you've already done with your hammer and punch will have reduced the hole inside so your allen key will be a nice snug fit again. Now get a ratchet or preferably a 3/8 drive knuckle bar and start to gently unscrew it, if you get it loosened a bit then try easing it backwards and forwards so you progressively loosen it a little more each time. Use your penetrating fluid and if you need heat use a gas flame, applying it to the thread housing that the bolt screws into.

Lastly, if using a flame and fluid be careful not to set fire to your bike!!

Good luck :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

A long

stand might be interpreted as a drip stand for us so you can see why they might think it's real.

They have never managed it on me.... yet. Apparently I'm an "extremely experienced sonographer" which makes me laugh. I'm 28. I have more experience riding a bike than scanning and frankly you'd not call me extremely experienced after riding for 7 or 8 years.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Asked a Librarian for a

Tall story Once........was told to Shhhhhh's

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN