Skip to content

Discuss This Pedrosa: Open class soft tyre a key advantage MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Pedrosa: Open class soft tyre a key advantage

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Pedrosa: Open class soft tyre a key advantage

Factory Honda rider Dani Pedrosa believes the crucial advantage for the likes of Aleix Espargaro in the new Open category in MotoGP is access to the range of softer compound Bridgestone tyres. Espargaro can use an extra soft tyre in his weekend allocation and many believe at selected tracks that he can make the Bridgestone rear last for race distance, the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 163 days ago (19 March 2014 09:10)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

Get your excuses in early boys!

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Surley

Thats the point? softer tyres, more fuel and a spec ECU and software by 2016 to break the factory stranglehold. The tail has been allowed to wag the dog for to long in Motogp and the series has suffered badly. It was only a few seasons ago there were barley enough bikes to form a grid. 

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

I gather you mean the 1990 season Diceman

When the premier 500cc class had an average of 15 starters with a season low of only 9 at the Yugoslav GP. Most of the field being lapped once, and often twice.

Yet misty eyed we look back and consider this part of the golden age era. Hmmmmm.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

I think

(yes Nostro ...'I think, therefore I am')  That the softer tyre will make a difference to qualifying and the first 10 laps of the race when the dicing could be closer.... second half of the race will see the factory bikes clear off!

Reply to this Topic
Judas13

Jan 14

Judas13 says:

Hope so Saturn

I reckon Marquez and Rossi won't mind so much if things are mixed up at the start, Dani not so, and Jorge might throw that bottom lip out if the racing gets too frenetic at the start.

Having said that he got tough after the Marquez "bump" last year. Not long now.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

I was thinking a bit more recently than that Nostro. End of the 800 Era when Kawasaki had pulled out and Suzuki was either gone or down to 1 bike. There were races then when you could have scored championship points on a one a moped.

But I take your point we all get Misty eyed for the past and think it was better when in fact its just we were younger

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

That's my point Diceman

Yes there were a few 'light' grids a few years ago. But the size and quality of the grid has never been as low as they were in early nineties.

In the new era of four strokes we've been privileged with quality riders in the most part sat on quality motorcycles. The odd CRT combo excepted perhaps.

The anti HRC tub thumping hysteria has been massively overplayed. Things had to change once the arse fell out of the western world a few years ago. All the manufacturers acknowledged that fact and set in place measures to alleviate the financial strain on themselves and client teams. But now we get Moto NASCAR. Let's see how that develops.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

I don't think it's so much anti HRC tub thumping (of which I'll admit I am guilty) as it is a backlash caused by the constant dithering over rules that alway seem to end up favouring one ore two manafacturers.

I really hope the next few seasons will bring Motogp back on track, amist the chaos there are certainly green shoots.Most spectators want to see a riders championship but that doesn't always tie in well with a manafacturers wish for technological development and to be honest it gives Dorna a nigh on impossible balancing act (No I didn't defend Dorna, did I? crap).

Yes, HRC have become the whipping boys on this issue but that is largley because their stated aims are to develop and dominate with little regard for the actual sport even Yamaha is struggling to keep up with HRC's budget. Would I sacrifcie some of the technological elements of Motogp for closer racing-Yes. Do I still want to see 200+HP protoype machines yes? Does that make me fickle?-yes

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

All these meddling rules and varying criteria of who is and isn't full factory status and results depending etc etc...instead of penalising full factories by the steeply unlevel playing field the 3 different classes; why not just say its 25 point for a race win on full factory riders but only 20 if an open rider wins - to contra out the advantages they enjoy? Making racing cheaper is the aim but at the end of the year a cheap bike and far less developed bike may win the championship - and then the rules will have made a complete debarcle of the whole class.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Racingfan

Making racing cheaper is the aim but at the end of the year a cheap bike and far less developed bike may win the championship - and then the rules will have made a complete debarcle of the whole class.

This is exactly what Dorna want, although they've definitely made a balls up of the way they've approached it

If last years Tech3 bike (not even the full factory bike) can lap as fast, or faster, than this year's Factory or Tech3 bikes with a much less sophisticated ECU but more fuel, then it raises the question why does the fuel need to be restricted requiring hugely sophisticated electronics to get a bike to the end of a race?

It's a point I agree with Wosi on, although we can't agree with the limp-**** directly... The factories claim to need Motogp to develop sophisticated electronics which eventually filter down to road bikes. Reduced fuel consumption is definitely a benefit that is useful to road users but no way is it going to be achieved on your Blade or R1 with the type of electronics they have on a GP bike, corner to corner mapping etc. to eek the fuel to race end. Not sure they should even put traction control on road bikes, riders become lazy and dependant on it, then ride a bike without it in the wet and bang - into orbit because they've forgotten how to use throttle in the wet. Then it's a mandatory course at the De Grasse wet roundabout slide school...

Give them all back their 24 llitres, reduced electronics and maybe more teams can compete again. All under the same rules.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices