Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Brendonvh

Mar 14

Brendonvh says:

Electrical Issues

Hi guys

I have a 2007 Honda CBX 250 Twister. I've just had the charging system repaired and a full service done on the bike, including a new battery.

However, after riding less than 60 km's on the bike it spluttered and died. the bike was taken in to the shop that did the repair work, but they could find nothing wrong. changing out the battery seemed to fix the problem, but this was the 2nd brand new battery I've put in the bike and killed within 60 km's.

it is worth noting that both batteries were of the same make and size (the correct size for my bike)

Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 135 days ago (19 March 2014 15:25)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Issues

Did you have a new regulator/rectifier fitted in the repairs? 

Reply to this Topic
Brendonvh

Mar 14

Brendonvh says:

Electrical issues

Yes, Checked the output from the regulator and the charging system again after the bike died. Both are working fine.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Electrical??????????

Well have you got some voltage readings before switching on, also on tickover, and at 3,000rpm with all lights on ?

Also is it possible to remove the spark plug after it dies?  

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Can anyone shed some light on the matter?

You first! :biggrin:

"I've just had the charging system repaired and a full service done on the bike, including a new battery.

However, after riding less than 60 km's on the bike it spluttered and died."

Was this the same symptom that led to the charging system being replaced, ie: same problem?

"New charging system" = battery, reg/rec, alternator and new(or cleaned) connector? Are the battery terminal connections clean and tight?

It could also be a component breaking down when hot (eg: the pick-up coil [aka crank position sensor], or an ignition coil). The battery swap might seem to have fixed the problem but in fact the bike had just cooled down.

Still, at 60km (37 miles) the bike ought to be so far into fully-warmed territory I'd suspect the charging system at first, as you have.

When it conks out does it smell of unburnt petrol or not?

Also possibly a fuel feed problem due to a vacuum forming, (pinched or blocked tubes?) but someone else will have to comment on that.

Reply to this Topic
Brendonvh

Mar 14

Brendonvh says:

Electrical issues

I didn't get to take down the readings of the volt meter and have since forgotten them. I did however have the battery checked it was still OK.

I noticed just before it died that the indicators, hooter etc were not working (pressing the hooter caused the bike to lurch quite badly). Any ideas?

EDIT:: after the bike cooled down completely, it started up again without any trouble, but the clock and trip meter had reset. 10 Minutes later I tried again, but bike just turned over a few times without starting then just made a clicking sound.

[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Electrical??????????

As my last post really.

Reply to this Topic
Brendonvh

Mar 14

Brendonvh says:

Electrical issues

I don't have a volt meter to check the readings on my own, had to have it taken to the bike shop to check it.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

What's that?

"[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]"

????

Are these the same symptoms which led to the charging system being replaced i the first place, ie: same problem now as then?

What was your "new charging system"? Battery, reg/rec, alternator and new(or cleaned) connector, all replaced at the same time?

Buy an £8 digital meter and take the guesswork out, or keep paying the bike shop. It's not hard to use.

Pressing the horn just sapped more of the scarce electricity from the ignition system.

Loose or corroded connection somewhere?

Are the battery terminal connections clean and tight?

Reply to this Topic
Brendonvh

Mar 14

Brendonvh says:

Electrical Issues

I had the stator coil rewound, as it had corroded and wasn't charging the battery at all. Battery connections are in good condition, and I checked all the plugs and connectors I could find. I will look into buying a volt meter, but in South Africa things like that can be expensive (Bad exchange rates, 100% import tax etc.)

Thanks for all the advice by the way :)

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I think

your reg/rec is dead, and killing your battery in turn (no charge).

As for battery voltage being "OK", it's impossible to tell without knowing the voltage.

Stator rewound because it had corroded?? If it has, it's the first one I've heard of (connections apart).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices