Skip to content

Ask an Expert Vtr firestorm speedo/ tacho problem - is it the regulator rectifier? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Vtr firestorm speedo/ tacho problem - is it the regulator rectifier?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

michaellodge

Mar 14

michaellodge says:

Vtr firestorm speedo/ tacho problem - is it the regulator rectifier?

Hi

I have a 1998 Vtr firestorm and recently the speedo has been dying. The bike starts up fine and will go for maybe 2km or so then the speedo needle will drop and the tachometer stops counting the mileage. The bike otherwise runs and doesn't cut out.

A bit of history... Over xmas the battery was going dead and needed charging several times but held charge for a day or two. Then i had the bike stood for a few weeks and when i went to start it wouldn't and noticed the 30amp main fuse had gone so replaced this. Replaced this and the recgulator/ rectifier started smoking! So replaced the R/R and the bike starts and runs fine but as before the speedo and tacho keeps dying when up to speed after a few minutes!!!

Could this be a rubbish R/R or is there something else at fault?! The fuses are also ok and on inspection of the speedo sensor and wiring that all seems to be intact.

Am i missing something here?!

I would be grateful for any advice or anyone who has had similar problems!

many thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 134 days ago (19 March 2014 22:15)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

speedo/tacho

Welcome m, can`t help much here but more info may help others, the tacho is engine revs not mileage, are you saying the clocks stopped before and after the r/r was replaced?

The tacho will have a separate sensor but for both to go wrong it could be a corroded connector block or a corroded p/c board in the clocks.

Have you a multi/meter to check the battery voltages at different stages?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices