Skip to content

Discuss This Qatar MotoGP: Marquez storms to victory MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Qatar MotoGP: Marquez storms to victory

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Qatar MotoGP: Marquez storms to victory

Reigning champion Marc Marquez battled through the pain barrier of a broken leg to take victory at the Losail circuit. The Repsol Honda rider started from pole position and had to battle with Stefan Bradl and Valentino Rossi to take 25 points. Rossi made Marquez fight right to the wire, with the pair swapping places several times on the penultimate lap. Rossi...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 123 days ago (23 March 2014 19:55)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
willc955

Jun 12

willc955 says:

fair points but

saturn - that's why I worded it "finding" a way, because I don't have any practical ideas, and apparently not many people do.  It's an extremely difficult situation to do anything about, but it's certainly a problem. 

Airbag leathers seem like they could help in some accidents, and I think worthy of further development.  I've also hear of warning lights on the dash or in helmets, but I can see how this might be problematic. 

If this issue got the attention that Marquez's (and others') "dangerous riding" does, maybe I could discuss other ideas.

bulto - Marc's moves are a regular occurence, but that's because it isn't "only luck" that keeps him from "floating" into other riders.  It's obvious to me that the kid has a level of control the others do not have. 

I don't wanna hear about last year's Dangerous Move On Dani. 

And yes, of course there would've been a sh*tstorm had he taken Rossi and/or himself out, which is exactly why he didn't, and had it been Bautista making dodgy moves behind Dr. V, a different reaction could be justified.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fairness and consideration in competition, but that's what has to be taken into context here.  I seriously doubt that champions in the caliber of Rossi and Marquez give a dam about being fair or considerate when they're fighting for wins, but I also think a relatively high level of respect comes with bike racing (or should), and Marquez hasn't overstepped that.

And for those wondering why Dr. V lost time on the last lap...maybe Team Repsol saved a more powerful mapping for the last lap if x-amount of fuel was left??  Sandbagging should be easier than ever in the era of properly dialed in electronics!    FACKIN BAN TRACTION CONTROL!!!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

HAsn't overstepped it Will?!

May I remind you of Jerez last year where MM calculatingly rammed into the side of JL to take second place. He stomped all over any concept of respect with that stunt. That was a nine point swing right there. MM won the championship by four points.

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

Will

Rossi didn't get slower on the last lap, he was 0.07 behind MM, who was only 0.02 quicker than his lap 20.   With MM past form of being overtaken, I wouldn't say that staying behind him was 'sandbagging', especially on the first race when nothing is at stake.     

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Will

He didn't lose time on the last lap, he lost it the lap before, when they were scrapping. His last lap was virtually identical to Marquez's last lap, which were virtually the same as the few laps previous to the penultimate lap. There was no sandbagging or turning up of the wick

Why don't you want to hear about Pedrosa last year? Doesn't suit the agenda?. Fine to take Pedrosa or Lorenzo off the track but not Rossi... which is my point as well. Another set of rules where he's concerned.

On two occassions last year Marquez did what I'm suggesting, went into a corner too hot, missing the apex by yards, 'floating', waiting for the bike to come back to him. On both, his actions took another rider off the track. In situations like that, the rider doesn't determine when full control is regained, you're just waiting, but granted, you need the ability to hang on to it whilst waiting, which he has in abundance. In addition to those two, there were a good few near misses last year as well, some of them with Lorenzo at Jerez.

Firebird  -  see above. Rossi lost time on the penultimate lap when they were scrapping. His last lap was barely any different from his fastest, so I don't see how you can say he didn't try to battle on the last lap. He'd have had to found another 2/10ths to have got back onto Marquez which would probably have put him on the floor

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Same old..

Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Stoner barely raced each other in upwards of 5 seasons..

The 'Pussy Club'..whining and ganging up together.

Their fans, unsurprisingly, gang up here and tow the same big girls blouse line..touching tails.

Jerez..Lorenzo left the door open and got punished. He did the same thing @ Brno 2012 last corner against Pedrosa.

He also dished out a fair bit himself..as have others in the past after complaining.

MM93 is young and full of spunk. he's re-written the record books and doesn't fk about taking prisoners. He's the World Champ and best rider on the planet.

His attitude works..and listening to a few soppy fanny-pads on MCN crying about tough racing, is certainly not on his radar.

Call yourselves race fans..?

Pah! 

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Same old

Wosi with his own agenda which is to ignore the context and twist it to indulge in his favourite sport of sniping and bitching at 'pussies'

Hard racing - no problem - not the issue.

But then you know that.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

I have to agree with Wosi..

...in the heat of battle, it's impossible to regulate these guys, and frankly who would want to? Yes, the sport can be dangerous, but I certainly don't think Marquez has shown us anything we haven't seen many times before. If he see's a weakness, or a gap, he goes for it and that's why we like him. Take away their natural competitive nature and you take away the spectacle..

..I had to chuckle at Saturn's chevron idea though!..nice one guv'nor. 

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

CH

Wosi didn't hsve a point, just another little dig at the 'pussy brigade'

It's not about regulating them, that's impossible, although they've tried with the points system.

It's not about them seeing gaps and going for them, which is what Rossi/Marquez were doing on the last lap. Proper racing. Like Lorenzo / Marquez at Silverstone last year.

It's just a comment about the way Marquez goes into corners when he's behind someone. Not when he's trying to overtake. When he clipped Pedrosa last year he wasn't trying to overtake him, he just misjudged his braking again and was sliding, momentarily with no control, which is when he clipped him. He nearly did the same to Rossi on Sunday when he was just following, not trying to pass.

There is an element of luck involved as to whether he collides or not.

Reply to this Topic
Druids

Sep 10

Druids says:

Marquez will sooner or later take someone out

Like "they" all did. It's called aging and it will be inevitable. But there's no reason to enter into a judgement of intentions at the moment, simply because nothing happened yet..  Now it just depends which rider & when he will take him out...   Surprise, surprise, we could hear a different tune.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Oh the joy..

..of a defensive joyless pleb.

Unlike your assumptions about most things MotoGP, you are correct about including yourself in MCN's Pussy Club for fans who don't own a bike..or even ride their mates' because you don't have any..then cry about how scarey it is.

It's hardly sport for me, when your general disdain for anything slightly dangerous & naughty results in comments like this:

Guess you're one of these bikers who thinks you can ride however you like, fck everybody, and at the same time whines about irresponsible car drivers.

Have you thought about getting a job yet..to spare us the constant exposure to your dull and dogmatic theories?

What a fkin loser..wipe your front bottom before it dribbles everywhere.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices