Skip to content

Discuss This Honda in no rush to upgrade new RCV1000R MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Honda in no rush to upgrade new RCV1000R

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Honda in no rush to upgrade new RCV1000R

Honda will not be rushed into an overhaul of its new production RCV1000R machine, despite pleas from the likes of Nicky Hayden and Scott Redding for more power. Honda’s new Open class bike doesn’t feature pneumatic valve technology or a seamless shift gearbox like the Factory spec RC213V ridden by Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa. But it is the lack of horsepower...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 118 days ago (27 March 2014 10:18)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ColonelClaw

Nov 12

ColonelClaw says:

How about donating some Honda code to the open ECU effort? Certainly didn't do Ducati any harm. Would be a cheap way of making the bike go quicker.

Reply to this Topic
Judas13

Jan 14

Judas13 says:

Power

No amount of software is going to make up for the lack of horses.

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Not Sure

Not sure if this situation highlights the cleverness of Honda to not allow upsets to their works team efforts or just how expensive the technology is on the works bikes. If the open class bikes are about £1m and the works bikes are £5m then 11mph does not sound too far off.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

They could at least give them a 24 litre tank to help them turn the wick up a bit.

Don't expect Honda will ever give them any meaninful updates its not like their going to pass on there pneaumatic valve or seeamless gearbox tech to a customer team is it?  This bike was designed to be third rate. If more teams had stuck with the ART we may have seen some decent development on that machine.

Reply to this Topic
diceman23

Nov 09

diceman23 says:

Suppo

What a ****!

"I don’t think anybody was expecting to have a machine that was going to win races.”

No, Suppo they didn't, but Honda were the ones touting it as being capable of fighting satellite bikes at some tracks and putting rather rose tinted reports on its performance in the press. I'd say your customers have a right to be dissapointed.

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Disappointing?

Makes sense SundayRoast and probably a fair perspective. I feel happy for Scot that he had an enjoyable race and battled closely right to the end with Hayden, a job well done, Kind of hard for MCN and other media sources to balance his success vs that of his machine though. You do have to be in it to win it but given 4 crashers in front of them was it? Honda may have been just as pleased with 11th and 12th?

Considering their testing form that is still over achieving first time out. Well done Scotty, a great start to you're season.

Ciao Mama's!!!

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

diceman23

I agree mate, Livio saying " I don’t think anybody was expecting to have a machine that was going to win races.” is fine and he's probably right but i think they expected it to be closer after their own publicity machine told us that when Casey tested it back to back with the Factory bike the difference was under half a second a lap !!

Reply to this Topic
williewheelbreaker

Jul 08

Diceman and Trumpet

Everyone agrees that more was expected of these customers bikes speed wise, but correct me if I am wrong, I don't think there has been some grand conspiracy or dirty deals by Honda which it seems you are implying?

While there may be secrecy issues with the Honda gearbox there aren't any with the valve operating system. The issue there is cost and that is why they don't have it. Honda "built" a customer machine which had a price cap according to the rules. To me Yamaha have side stepped the intended "spirit" of the of the rules. They basically took their (toys) computer gizmos and gearbox off of a "used" works bike and sold them to Forward for the guide price. All legal but hardly the time and investment put in by Honda I would say.

But I am not here to bash or defend any one manufacturer. What you could remind us is where was Casey doing the comparisons? Qatar and Sepang are high speed horsepower tracks whereas if Casey was testing at Suzuka handling and rider skill have more effect on a lap time. The gizmos are making up the last bit, with the valves specifically they gain a few more revs but the main benefit is the level of control you get from the electronics which control them. Big Money!

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Honda actually revised that figure of 0.3s afterwards, saying that Stoner thought the bike could be 0.8 seconds slower than the factory bike. But that is presumably with the same rider, not Marquez on the factory bike and another rider on the RCVR. Marquez on the factory bike could easily put half a second on that gap to the proddy bike with another rider.

The bike was only supposed to be sold to challenge the independent teams who would be running Open. Not the factory prototypes run by the factory teasm and satellites. How could it - when it could be bought for 1m and a satellite bike costs 3m to lease?

Honda were certainly guilty of some mis-information when they were promoting the bike, claiming 0.3s (and even 0.1 estimate if the soft tyre available to the Open teams was used) But honestly, who in the paddock would have believed it? These people have been around racing for years and know better than most whether Honda were going to allow an independent team on a 1m bike to challenge their factory bikes. No chance.

The Aspar team admitted the gap was more likely to be near 1 second, not 0.3, but still bought them.

The bike seems to have done it's job and is quicker than the other independent teams. The fly in the ointment is the Forward Yamaha  which is a full prototype, but which is allowed within the rules. So that bike can't really be used as a bechmark for the Honda performance. That bike is effectively what all factory bikes will be in 2016. Prototypes with a control ECU.

There will be no Open class in 2016. It will be interesting to see if Yamaha continue to lease that bike to Forward for 800,000 a year when the cost of their satellite bikes is significantly more, at the present time, for the same bike. And in view of the fact that it will be too close in terms of performance

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Willie

When the frame deal fell through for Forward, Yamaha spied the opportunity to give them a full bike and no doubt do some crafty R & D through Forward in preparation for 2016.

Yamaha were only supposed to lease them an engine remember, per the original deal. If it hadn't, that bike wouldn't be on the grid.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices