You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > 2010 r1 with 100k

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

headkent

Mar 14

headkent says:

2010 r1 with 100k

im thinking about buying a 2010 r1 with 100k whats the pros and cons of it, as it has full service history ang got whatever it needed when it needed it, never dropped or never abused all motorway miles

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 175 days ago (28 March 2014 12:02)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mirloXXbob

Mar 14

mirloXXbob says:

100k R1

Is that miles or kilometres? Did the owner ever turn it off? To get that many miles out of it he had to take good care of it unless he's rebuilt the motor. So that' s a positive. Hopefully it's also cheaper than most. Highway (motorway) miles are always easier in the motor. But I wouldn't buy it unless it's a lot cheaper than one with 20 or 30k.

Reply to this Topic
headkent

Mar 14

headkent says:

r1

all motorway miles and for about 1500 sterling

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

R1

At that price and with the history you state ("full Yamaha servicing history, never abused etc", if that is correct) then you cant go wrong really! fantastic motors! have had 2 in the past never a single problem, and they were thrashed quite often!

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

100K R1.

headkent, Look in the service history to see when the camchain was replaced? Which i might add that the 2 cam sprockets and crank sprocket should have been done at the same time.Look also when it had a clutchpack. This should also incluce the dippled steel plates and not just the friction plates. My 106,000 mile RRV Fireblade had the camchain/cam sprockets and crank sprocket replaced at 67,000miles. The clutch pack at 56,000miles and i cannot imagine this R1 not having these done once if not twice!. Also consider the wheel bearings inc the sprocket carrier bearing. This brings me to the steering head bearing. Mine on my Fireblade were changed at 82,000miles, at the same time i had the forks rebuilt with new bushes and seals for no other reason than i thought it best!. I also replaced the rear shock at the same miles for a new unit supplied from DaveSilver Spares. 100k miles on any bike is a big milestone so obviously check the service history is linked to that bike and the mot mileage is correct on the vosa website. Last but not least! check the gearbox on a lengthy ride and put it through hard acceleration tests in all gears to check they all stay meshed under load. Your latest post states £1500. Thats a good price if it all works out fine, and money back if you sold the parts off if it developes an expensive fault later on. Good luck.

Reply to this Topic
headkent

Mar 14

headkent says:

Thanks Steven.hood

Steven thanks alot mate for ur big input,i will check all of it before i get going on her,but im hoping that all of this was done as the years rolled on her,to look at the bike u would think she was 2014 and no wear or tear visible,the owner has treated this bike like a baby,never wenot over the ton on her,i will only be using the bike for pleasure and wont cover more than 5k a year

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

100k R1

Buy it. Enjoy it. Take great pleasure in telling everyone how many miles it's done, especially at bike meets, where you often see 10 year old bikes that haven't even covered 10,000....

I'd even be tempted to get some stickers made up for it, showing how many miles it's done.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Have you got it yet?

Does the paperwork stack up ok?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN