Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Joined:

Posts:

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo

Yamaha denied Jorge Lorenzo’s pre-season request to test an Open class spec YZR-M1 because it made no sense in letting the Spaniard evaluate a bike they had no intention of him racing.MCN exclusively revealed earlier this month that the double MotoGP world champion had requested an Open-spec YZR-M1 test because he felt 24 litres and access to softer compound Bridgestone...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 120 days ago (28 March 2014 14:10)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

   

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

  1.  
  2.  
  3.  

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Joined:

Apr 11

Posts: 3328

Bultoboy says:

Bridgestone are taking the 2013 spec tyre to Cota. Reason given is that they haven't enough 2014 spec tyres to supply everyone.....

Should cheer Lorenzo up a bit.

I wonder if Yamaha will start slowing that Forward bike down a bit, after Qatar, just in case it interferes a bit too closely on track with their factory boys

Reply to this Topic
luckofthewelsh

Joined:

Oct 13

Posts: 362

Bridgestone

 I didn't realise they were taking the 2013 spec, interesting. I wonder who will be the first person in the queue to get themselves some of the 2013 spec tyres? Is that Jorge i see setting his tent up outside COTA now?

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Joined:

Aug 13

Posts: 2324

DeGrasse says:

Yamaha Racing...

Despite Lorenzo poor technical insight, needs both riders to "push" the factory way, the factory have its own agenda, they won't give the rider a favour if it doesn't go their way.

It's pretty clear that they realised last year that the gap with the RCV was not what it should be, loosing on the brakes, turning-in and acceleration too much for feeling comfi in 2014 even with the 2013 M1 high corner speed and Jorge on it at his best.

Marquez now have more experience, he learned how to manage the Moto GP bike tyres and racing, this means he will probably not make the same mistakes this season, any factory boss would dismiss counting on his mistakes for winning the title.

They need to recover the M1's balance to be competitive this year but also to have a continuity in this development direction, chances are, we're going to see Rossi on it next year if he is pleased with his results.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Joined:

Feb 13

Posts: 1187

AlexDAbomB69 says:

Ducati

 bound, I am telling you.

Reply to this Topic
luckofthewelsh

Joined:

Oct 13

Posts: 362

Alex

 I think you may be right, im still crossing my fingers for MM and JL at HRC though! I would love to see them on the same bike!

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Joined:

Feb 13

Posts: 1187

AlexDAbomB69 says:

I still

think if Bradl has a good year he could go to the repsol on a staight swap with pedrosa. Lorenzo too Ducati. Dovi to Suzuki with E Laverty and pol or bradders or even A. Asparagus to Factory Yamaha. As Rossi has said if he is not getting the results by mid season he will consider retireing so Pol and Aleix Asparagus to Factory Yamaha and Tito rabat to tech 3 or grisini. Or it will stay the same as it ever was.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Joined:

Apr 11

Posts: 3328

Bultoboy says:

Lorenzo to Ducati?

I'd be really shocked if he did, massive gamble. Dovi and Cal had different reasons for going and weren't factory riders on one of the best two bikes available.

Lorenzo is on one of the best two bikes available. There'a a lot of talk as to how much better the Honda is but where did the second Honda finish at Qatar? Behind a Yamaha. As it finished behind a Yamaha in a good few races last year and the title standings. Is the difference really bike or is it rider? If Honda were getting regular 1 - 2 finishes you could say bike for sure. I think if Bradl had been on the Repsol with Pedrosa last year, it would have been a title for Lorenzo for sure.

I think as an all round rider, Marquez has the edge. Lorenzo is unbelievably smooth and precise and I don't think that style is a hinderance or disandvantage, but I think Marquez is just that fraction faster. I still wonder if he could be a bit quicker if he smoothed out the raggedness with which he rides.

For me, Lorenzo to Ducati is too much of a gamble for a rider in his position.

Reply to this Topic
Druids

Joined:

Sep 10

Posts: 624

Druids says:

Lorenzo 2015

60 % chance he stays with Yam, 30 % Honda, 10 % Ducati. I would like to see him on a different bike though.

 

Reply to this Topic
Druids

Joined:

Sep 10

Posts: 624

Druids says:

Ducati doesn't make much sense

 since Lorenzo would gain the open class advantage for just one season.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Joined:

Aug 13

Posts: 2324

DeGrasse says:

I can't tell where Jorge will be next year.

But. What i know is that back in 2012 he spoke to Honda, this bruised a few egos at Yamaha Racing and even so some there didn't want Rossi back with them (he also bruised ego when he left to Ducati, the Japanese are sensitive people behind the masks), his development skills prevailed on the decision together with the commercial Dpt weight.

From then on Lorenzo was in hot waters, Yamaha Racing no longer could count on him to stay if they had another title loosing year, they knew he had his own agenda, they made their mind up and now have theirs.

The RCV is better on the brakes, turning-in and turning on the brakes as well as acceleration, as all 2014 partials demonstrates and Yamaha could no longer rely on corner speed only, on top of which all other riders than Jorge had a torrid time riding the M1 100% since 2011.

For those who followed the season though MCN these are well known facts if not, search on this website archives from the 2013 proto roll out.

Now IMHO, Honda saying they are interested is half-political, they can provide him with a different chassis but i doubt they will make a 250 styled M1 copy, first they don't know how to, second they have Marquez and his winning style prevails with their design and development Dpt.

So from their PoV, taking Jorge from Yamaha is all win, if he wins with them, it's good, if not, they have one concurent left at Yamaha.

For Ducati i have no idea if they would even be capable of providing him with the chassis he wants, they are already struggling to make progresses with a formula they knew could win when Stoner was there, anyone who knows Ducati better than me (more than a few people i believe) might bring some insight on this one.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

 

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices