Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha explain Open M1 test refusal for Jorge Lorenzo

Yamaha denied Jorge Lorenzo’s pre-season request to test an Open class spec YZR-M1 because it made no sense in letting the Spaniard evaluate a bike they had no intention of him racing.MCN exclusively revealed earlier this month that the double MotoGP world champion had requested an Open-spec YZR-M1 test because he felt 24 litres and access to softer compound Bridgestone...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 156 days ago (28 March 2014 14:10)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

You clearly don't understand irony then you crazy frog?

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

Buttface

Irony? Don't flatter yourself, you're less than capable of any form of intellectual quality, you don't even know what irony means in plain English: the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.
Plus you still talk like a chariot driver, how can anyone take you seriously?
Reality is you have nothing to say and can only get noticed with garbage, one does what one can.

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Yamaha Factory Racing Team Manager Wilco Zeelenberg Q&A

What is the focus on bike development for this year?

“Track by track it's a bit of a different story this year. In preparing our bike for 2013 we tried to improve the stability on the rear because we had quite some problems on bumps last season during acceleration. Corner entry and turnability were also an issue but we solved that over the winter tests.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

CH987

Stability is Jorge's problem not so much Rossi's.

Corner entry and turnability goes together with braking and acceleration/controlability on the gas, i.e. chassis geometry and weight distribution, the opposite is true for corner speed and stability, as the M1 chassis was optimised from 2011.

With a shorter wheel base and less weight on the rear, you have better charactersitics on the brakes (weight transfer, front tyre heat build up and grip, 2013 issues all season) as is the 2014 M1 but a less stable bike, as a matter of fact you can watch this motogp video and notice @ 0:00:36 how Lorenzo M1 moves on the brakes and his reaction back in the stands. www.motogp.com/en/videos/latest+videos#2014+Qatar+Rewind

Rossi is not so much concerned about bike movements, he used to steer the rear on the brake at corner entry and rides a lot more on the front (500, RCs, M1s) as well as sliding them on the gas, more on the Hondas than the Yamahas but still he was back-wheel steering all his bikes after the 250cc.

This year, the M1 chassis have changed (repositioning of the engine in the frame, wheel base, flexibility etc):

Corner entry, braking (front end grip due to lack of heat build up), turnability on the brake(s), control on the gas were issues with the 2011/13 chassis and last year the M1 was loosing a lot to the RC in those areas.

I apreciate we can have such exchanges without flaming, cheers.

Oh, i forgot, Zeelenberg is Lorenzo manager, he has ZERO experience of powerful bikes and was a mid-grid 250 cc rider, this explains a lot.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

why not wait

to see how Lorenzo goes this year and in future years De Grasse? The story of his career is not over with 1 DNF probably not related to any of the philosophies you hold dear, and he did fairly well in 2009 and 2010 before he "wrecked" the Yamaha in 2011, if he did. 

He may well not be as good a rider as Rossi in his prime and is even more likely not to be as good a developer,  but this still leaves rather a lot of scope for him to be not entirely terrible. I think he and Forcada are pretty good at actually setting up bikes for an individual race, they did better than the acknowledged masters (Rossi and JB) on several occasions in 2009 on what was definitely a "Rossi " bike then.

Rainey and KR were obviously all-time greats,  among the very greatest, with KR's talent extending way beyond even his fantastic (and revolutionary) talent  as a rider which Rainey may have even marginally surpassed as you have said, but Jorge can only do the best he can under the recent/current formulae, very different than the golden era 500  era and not for the better imo as well as yours.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

doohanfan

I am waiting, to see if he CAN adapt, as i said (as opposed to what i am accused to say) is that the guys who are the fastest are those who control slides, you should know as a Doohan enthusiast.

I don't blame him for the bike development, he doesn't have technical skills for this, not every rider has, so he was unlucky to have Zeelenberg as manager because this guy haven't got a clue about back-wheel steering or power delivery at this level, so from my PoV, the rest was unavoidable, i doubt it would have been going this way if he had Roberts or Rainey as managers in the first place.

As for his DNF, if you read me, i talk about the Yamaha chassis and the pattern it developed when the rear departs since 2011, it's logical, mechanical and physical at the same time: Long moment arm plus more weight at the rear and less at the front means the rear wheel takes over the front control authority, (this is what Colin Edwards says of his chassis "nothing at the front") if you observe his crash at Silverstone, Assen, Sachenring et you'd see how the front goes very shortly after the rear, there is no control there at all.

No way a rider as skilled as Marquez would be able to control the 2013 M1 with Lorenzo settings the way he controls the RC, i mean 10 laps from the end at Losail he got it 30* out on the brakes to avoid bumping on Rossi but still goes faster the following laps. That's chassis geometry and weight distribution for us.

Jorge never was at ease in low grip condition, he visited Roberts Ranch in 2007 because he had an issue in the wet, from then on he crashed the M1 often enough loosing the rear in dry or wet condition to prove this, plus he never was able to apply what he learned from K.R to road racing, style and chassis design didn't help.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Supermario

Great vid of the TZ750, interesting, thanks..

Reply to this Topic
bennygaywossi

Feb 12

stoner

is flying to austin to er sighn prints. already big speculation that hes going for talks for next year..

the 2014 tyre is stiff construction, suzuki are testing there, why fly all the way to usa to as he says sighn prints?

would love to see a 27 - 93 line up..

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

I can't help but think that skills to ride a 500cc GP bike fast for Lorenzo might be a bit irrelevant

I'm not sure why this might be, I presume, like you, that George has a De Lorean and a cupboard full of fully functioning flux capacitors but still I can't quite fathom why the skill of riding a 500 fast might be wasted on him, can anyone help me with this quandary?

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

I suppose some progress has been achieved

You've moved from the 1970s to 1988, I still fail to see how anything declared about Jorge Lorenzo in this year, 1988, is relevant. I'd guess, at 1 years old, in 1988, that Lorenzo probably hadn't decided to pursue a career as a GP racer, in 1988, but then maybe he had and maybe he had chosen his style then too, in 1988, aged 1, and that your mate Kenny had spotted this from his ranch about Lorenzo in 1988 when he was aged 1. Dunno, I'm sure in some dimension this notion is plausible but unfortunately not in mine, sorry.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices