Ask an Expert Zephyr 550 Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Zephyr 550

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Pistonbroke1918

Apr 14

Zephyr 550

Hi guys and girls I've had this problem with my bike for a while now, starting from the beginning when I bought this bike it was sat for a quite a while so had to have the carbs and tank cleaned out and treated, since then my problems have grown, the bad weather kicked in and all of a sudden my bike would start to drop in revs when ticking over, sometimes if I kept the revs up and kept going it would sort itself out, other times it would eventually drop a cylinder or 2 and cutout no matter what I did. Left for a few minutes it would start up and go again. I've replaced various electrical things such as leads ect and still no one has any idea what the problem is and as I use my biker every day for work it NEEDS sorting. Need some help people thanks. Tom

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 120 days ago (01 April 2014 19:35)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
charlie79

Sep 13

charlie79 says:

zephyr

Hi. It sounds like it could be damp causing a problem with your ignition system. You say you have put new ht leads on, did you also try new plugs and check there is not a build up of crud around the plugs that could be attracting moisture and causing a problem. As a short term fix it may be worth giving the whole ignition system a spray of wd40 or equivalent to drive out any moisture, it may prove or disprove that this is the problem and at least get you to work and back until you find the faulty component or connector.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cut out

Welcome Tom with a difficult one, when your bike acts daft and starts to lose power and you give it more gas until it cuts out can you smell fuel at the end of the exhaust pipe or anywhere? Or as well have you tried giving it choke ?

Also if have a garage start the bike in the dark and see if you have sparks flying about at the top of the engine.    

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Zephyr 550.

It's a carb'd Kawasaki so it could be suffering from carburettor icing. A splash of Silkolene Pro-FST in the tank seems to work on my bike.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki 550 Zephyr year?

Hi Pistonbroke1918 and welcome to the site :smile

Think your bike must be at least 16 years old now.With what you say about the rotting fuel tank and carbs there could well still be a problem with the carbs if new pilot jets weren't fitted then these could be causing the same symptoms ? or could be electrical as the guys have already pointed out.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

http://zephyr-kawasaki.pagesperso-orange.fr/images/Dossierdocu/doc550/owner_manual.pdf

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Zephyr

Kawasakis are well known for suffering from carb icing. As said above, some Silkolene Pro-FST or Wynns dry fuel will help. Give it a try.

Reply to this Topic
Pistonbroke1918

Apr 14

hi guys

Cheers guys for the help much appreciated. I've replaced the plus, caps cdi ect I've checked for sparks under the tank like you aid and did see a few on number one lead but sorted that, spayed everything top to bottom in wd40 and still no change. I've had two different mechanics look at the carbs the first when they were cleaned and the second after this problem started. If it helps it tends to do it on the way home from work rather than on the way with it taking me more than double the time to get home. Cheers

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Running issues

I am thinking fuel starvation.  There will be an air vent in your fuel tank, usually part of the filler cap.  Make sure this is clean and not blocked with crud.  Likewise check any fuel filters to ensure that they are not blocked either.  It is possible that there is debris in the system left over from when the bike was left standing.      

Reply to this Topic
Pistonbroke1918

Apr 14

Re

I've done all that too "/ think it's more electrical as it done it again today twice on the way home after it rained on and off all day

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

cut out

did you try my advice?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Zephyr

I still say it's carb icing..