Skip to content

Discuss This BMW S1000F: Have your say New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > BMW S1000F: Have your say

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

BMW S1000F: Have your say

BMW's new S1000-based adventure sports bike has been spied testing in Germany and appears to be finished in terms of styling. So what do you think - do we need an inline four adventure sports bike? Or are you just happy to see Banana Man still has work?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 120 days ago (03 April 2014 09:40)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

Hold on...I haven't seen the finished item yet !?

Dear oh dear....... Do i want one !?

The prototype shows it's face and people are like little kiddies in the sweet shop...Oh i want one of those, oh no, hold on a minute, no, i want tha... No, i want tha,.....

Until the bike is shown, finished, then and only then, will i make my mind up.

I would have liked to have seen BMW give it a single swinger, to compete against the Ducati MS 1200 and Triumph Tiger 1050, not just go the route Kawsaki took of putting some junk on top of a stripped Z1000 chassis and call it an adventure bike....

Reply to this Topic
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

What for the life of me I cannot work why has it taken manafacturers so long to work out that the market wants both comfort and performance untill the Multi we could only have one or the other!! yea I'm interested but don't bring it to the market with a 19litre tank because thats as much use as hole in the head and over a decent day travelling Europe a big tank makes a bike a dam sight faster than any big horsepower motor,but yea I'm interested with reservations.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

S1000GT - That's what this is

With the 4 cylinder K bikes being discontinued BMW is building the RR platform to accommodate the segment loss. In 2010 the S1000RR replaced the K1300S as the top dog BMW and launched a new superbike platform for BMW as well. in 2014 S1000R replaced the K1300R and in 2015 the upcoming S1000GT will replace the former K1300GT.

Funny they want to go with F for this one. There is no precedence for model range ending with "F" at BMW. Also the F is already taken by the F Bikes. And long time ago there was a Fundaro, which later became the G650GS. None of these F references are suitable for the RR platform.

They normally use end designation with a link to market segment.

RS - road sport
GS - dirt (off-road)
T (ST, GT, RT, GTL, LT) - touring
S - sport
RR - race replica or race ready
R - roadster or naked

So, why all of a sudden decide to create a confusing "F" designation? This new model could easily be called ST.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Of course a barn door shield is missing

Knowing BMW riders, the first thing they'll do is to add a barn door size front windshield on it.

Seems like MCN is thinking that BMW is creating a Multistrata fighter which is really a BMW GS fighter to begin with.  I don't think that's what this bike is.  But then again, why call it "F" and not GT or ST or even RS.  The new model designation F, could mean a new segment and it could potentially mean a taller ride or at least suspension.  

Reply to this Topic
philthewindsurfer

Aug 02

Tank size

If this is based on the S1000-R and it probably is, thats got a 17.5l tank and they claim just over 50mpg for that bike (5.6l per 100k @ 120 kph). So thats 150 miles before the fuel light comes on.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

SHIVA

My BMW's windscreen is merely shed door sized... it's noisy and I want an extension.:biggrin:

It also has two eyes stuck on it and looks like an anteater with it's slope and single headlamp.

Reply to this Topic
petersdad

Apr 14

petersdad says:

bmw s1000f

Have BMW not built a similar bike in the past maybe lower bars and shaft drive but the K1200r Sport was a very similar format and it failed to sell in large numbers and BMW stopped production of this model when they changed to the 1300cc engine. I know this bike will sell very well its just a pity that people will pay thousands more for this bike when they could have the same thing for far less. Addhigher bars to a K1200r Sport and off you go.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Its obviously aimed at the Multistrada/Tiger Sport market as a kind of inbetween road and trailie type bike but its going to be more expensive than the Triumph and have a lot more power but do you need that extra power on a bike like this? Out of the 3 I have mentioned, I would take the Triumph, not because I'm already a Triumph owner and fan, but because it will be the cheapest and most reliable and will be adequate for this style of bike IMO! No doubt a group test will be in order in MCN at some point.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i agree with satnavsteve

its obviously aimed at the sports rider end of the adventure market, does such a rider exist? yes i'm one of them. just bought a Multistrada after decades on sports bikes. i want a comfortable bike that has superbike performance which is why i bought the multistrada.

i did consider the tiger sport but i wanted the instant grunt that only a twin can deliever really! i'm not sure BMW's inline 4 can deliever that? willing to be proved wrong.

decent fuel consumption would be nice, have had to get over the fuel demands a 1200 high powered twin has (especially in idiot mode, sorry sports mode).

had to get my head around ducati realibility, but not sure BMW is any better these days!

and even though its a test mule, it isn't the prettiest bike in the world is it? the truimph and even the kinda funny looking ducati are better looking!

so it comes down to price, looks, fuel, gadgets, low down grunt!,realibility and ultimatly Grunt.

as an ex sports bike rider , the "true" adventure bikes were too soft for me so there is definatly a market for it!

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i've been told

my Multistrada looks like a dragon

this BMW i'm sorry to say looks like a Pug!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices