Skip to content

Discuss This Aspar not expecting imminent RCV1000R upgrade MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Aspar not expecting imminent RCV1000R upgrade

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Aspar not expecting imminent RCV1000R upgrade

Nicky Hayden’s Aspar squad has conceded that its underpowererd new production Honda RCV1000R is unlikely to receive a motor upgrade until the fourth race of 2014 at the earliest. A lack of acceleration and top speed was quickly identified as a big weakness of the new RCV1000R, which is Honda’s entry in the new Open category, designed specifically to bolster grid...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 169 days ago (04 April 2014 10:00)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TetsuoSama

Sep 11

TetsuoSama says:

Context?

"you forget the context it was presented in, and this is a MotoGP thread..and you end up inadvertently supporting his view."

Go read your post I replied to.  You were spouting some crap about your GT550.  So, unless you were talking about a time you rode that bike in MotoGP, I was completely in context and absolutely not agreeing with you.

Yeah, 3am is way past bedtime here.  Been fun owning your stupid arse, just like the good old days.  See  ya next time, Wosi

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Wosi, a legend in his own mind.

Reply to this Topic
vmax4steve

Mar 08

vmax4steve says:

Wosi

So I'm wearing cowboy boots in your sexual fantasy.

Anyone else like to state just what the factories can or can't do with the Spec ECU without getting aroused over what I'm wearing. I'm keen to learn or am I on the wrong site for that.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Is this the same Aprilia

That charged an arm and a leg to lease their all conquering 250's then Mohammed by the mountain?

Dorna asked. HRC delivered. Where's the issue?

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Steve

The factories won't program the control ECU. They, as well as the independent teams can submit requirements to Dorna who will have the final word.

The current upgraded ECU, which no-one is actually using, wasn't programmed by Ducati, they gave Marelli information, based on their own electronics and Marelli incorporated whatever Dorna allowed into it. Too complicated for independent teams, Forward couldn't even start their bike with it initially.

Dorna have supposedly allowed the factories more leeway with what goes into it as a concession to them moving to the control ECU, Honda maintaining their stance that they need to use Motogp for essential electronic development work. That's politics and something I've no interest in as it's all subjective argument anyway, regardless of Wosi's lecture. None of us know the real truth.

The requirements of teams will vary depending on what's on their bike. For teams with seamless gearboxes, the ECU will need to handle those, same for the electronic clutches. Features like anti-wheelie and traction control are common and how refined they are depends upon what Dorna will allow. You'd expect that the current factory software is going to be more sophisticated than that of the independent teams. How sophisticated the spec ECU will be depends on which features Dorna allow into it. It's supposed to be about cutting costs, so the level of sophistication has to be balanced against costs - and also I'd imagine, keeping it to a level that it can be used by all teams - otherwise what's the point.

Corner to corner tracking and mapping is, I guess, gone, which means that fuel consumption can't be so effectively managed, therefore the fuel allowance will have to increase from the current level.

I don't see it helping the independent teams with the production based bikes against the factories, look at the performance of the Forward Yam against the production bikes now. It will hopefully encourage more factories back in if they haven't got to spend millions on electronics to compete. Eventually, more factories could mean more prototypes made available for independent teams to run. If those prototypes are more to the spec of the current satellite bikes and more importantly, affordable, then it should make for a more competitive grid - and the production bikes will fade away, having, in my view, fulfilled their only objective of temporary grid fillers.

But the cost of a full spec prototype to lease may still be an issue. At 3m plus to lease for a season, who can afford them. How much that could come down with standardised electronics can't be estimated by us, but it has to if more independent teams are to compete.

The current cost of the prototypes is why Dorna wanted the factories to produce the procuction versions, built down to a price and spec that they could be bought for 1m. But that price and spec means they can't be as competitive as they are built down to a price. Catch 22...

Reply to this Topic
vmax4steve

Mar 08

vmax4steve says:

Thanks Bulto

so I'm kinda half right that the factories will have some of their own ECU programmes built into the control ECU. Those prgrammes are surely available to all once the actual specs of the control ECU are finalised, there won't be a differnt control ECU for each team as such for that wouldn't then be a control ECU.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Nice..

objective synopsis from Bulto..long may it continue.

I think we have to be patient..the field is not suddenly going to become full of manufacturers supplying 4 bikes each..say, a 2 bike Factory squad plus 2 more satellite machines, run by current independent teams.

I have an idea that this is eventually the aim though..and point me to a fan who wouldn't be excited by that prospect?

CRT/Open has fulfilled Dorna's most pressing need..filling the grid. There are other goals on the list..

Performance wise..competitively speaking..this filling of the grid is being done from the back forwards.

From front to back would be better..but for various complicated reasons - politics - this hasn't happened.

If the rules can reduce the cost to 'compete fairly' and maintain stability..other Facories may look at the class and take a punt to enter.

This has not happened up until now - the reverse in fact - because the current Factory 20 litre/5engine rules sets the bar too high..

Imagine..Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Aprilia, Suzuki, Kawasaki and BMW..which makes 7..all supplying 4 bikes each..very nice indeed..

The grid filled from the front back..competitive bikes like, I think most of us hope, Aleix's will be this year..putting the cat amonst the pigeons..upsetting the applecart.. 

It's almost slipped under the radar, what with the new season starting and all the rule changes and confusion..but..HRC are STAYING with a spec ECU.

This is a massive concession, Carmelo should be applauded.

Current Factories will pool their electronic code and share that knowledge..new entrants potentially benefit too.

Sensors will be limited and the Grand Prix Comission will decide - for the good of the sport - how complicated and expensive that process will be..basically, simpler and cheaper.

Less complicated electronics and rider aids that actually slow and penalise the more needy pilots.

Dumbing down the bikes. Dumbing up the riders.

Now..what's going on with Casey in America..? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Call it..

Five manufacturers 2015/16 to start Huw..

16 Factory bikes..the rest 24 litre M1, D16 and RCVR?

Filling up from the front as the back becomes more competitive.

Patience..such an agitated, contrary welsh vaaahley troll.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Come on Huw..

..I thought you were brighter than that?

When it comes to power, politics and money..should we believe everything that is stated, or not as the case may be?

Sounds to me like you're a sheep that needs leading to water..unable to read between the lines?

Nothing unusual around here..mind.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Huw..

See if you were a part-time Fireman, but wanted to run GP and a job came up..?

Would this be the sort of thing you'd include in a CV to impress people making the appointment? 

Embedded image permalink

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices