Skip to content

Discuss This Has the trackday touring tyre arrived? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Has the trackday touring tyre arrived?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Tim Thompson  says:

Has the trackday touring tyre arrived?

The Battlax BT-014 was the first ‘GP-derived’ Bridgestone, its technology handed down to road bikes from the Bridgestone development team run by Erv Kanemoto in 2001 and 2002. It was hot and sticky ‘hypersport’ rubber deemed good enough in 2004 to win the MCN Tyre of the Year award. The Bridgestone T30, meanwhile, is a current sports touring tyre. It...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 166 days ago (04 April 2014 17:05)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

if you want to sport fit sports tyres

no matter what you ride, it's the rubber that stops you from crashing, so if you are going to try and sport the sport bikes on a sunday thrash then use sport rubber, it also leaves you bags of spare grip and in fact makes it easy. Track riding on a touring tyres has got FA to do with very very fast road riding.  Put sports rubber on your bike, if you want to go as fast as, or even faster than a sports bike.   

Reply to this Topic
comfysofa

Apr 13

comfysofa says:

Agree with Venturer - if you buy a tyre that can supposedly do 8k and then use it for track days is asking for trouble, or for that matter "fast sporty type riding" on the road...it does seem to me to be almost boarderline irresponsible to claim that it does....

(personally in 25 years of riding ive never had a tyre go past 3.5k no matter what it was) Currently my supercorsa's are on the limit at 1k, so i never take any notice of how much longevity someone said they got out of a tyre...

Reply to this Topic
comfysofa

Apr 13

comfysofa says:

Agree with Venturer - if you buy a tyre that can supposedly do 8k and then use it for track days is asking for trouble, or for that matter "fast sporty type riding" on the road...it does seem to me to be almost boarderline irresponsible to claim that it does....

(personally in 25 years of riding ive never had a tyre go past 3.5k no matter what it was) Currently my supercorsa's are on the limit at 1k, so i never take any notice of how much longevity someone said they got out of a tyre...

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Not surpised

Sport touring tyres these days are amazingly good, and far better suited to road riding than the super sporty stuff, while still being able to cut it at the track for most people.

The super sporty stuff is better suited to the track. Stiffly constructed with very little tread pattern and designed for use on a track with lovely smooth, wide, even tarmac. But even at a track you've got to be able to push them hard enough to make them work, which I would say probably 80% of bikers in the UK wouldn't be able to do. Imagine how many of the remaining number would be able to activate that kind of tyre on the road with all its bumps, ruts, potholes, cracks, manhole covers and general lack of space/width. In reality very very few.

Sport touring tyres heat up quickly, give more grip than you need and last longer. It really is win win.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
steven.hood7

Jan 08

steven.hood7 says:

Bridgestone T30's

Just done over 500 miles with the T30's on my RR8 Fireblade after using 2 sets of  BT023's on the same bike over 2 years and i'm amazed at the grip levels and fast warm-up. I got 6,800 miles from both sets of BT023's and found the front tyre profile made fast B road riding hard work on direction changes. The front profile on the T30's is sharper[more pointy] therefore easier to turn. Just as i remember the very original tyres the bike came with BT015 then BT016. Not expecting to get the full 8,000 miles from the pair but they feel plush on the road , mask poor road surfaces and feel secure on initial turn-in and planted hard on the brakes!. I dont do trackdays on my 30,000 mile Fireblade but it does get used hard on my early morning runs.  

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

Since fitting Metzeler Z6's to a Busa 7 yrs ago and getting 5000+miles in all conditions  edge to edge riding I knew ST tyres were the right choice for me...Then used Dunlop Roadsmarts and they moved things on further by having a sporty profile.

Tried Bt-023 and Angels and can't see any reason to use Sports tyres...UK road riders can't get the best from Sports tyres and any i've used whilst offering more ultimate grip in the dry always make me nervous when its cold or wet.

That all said the BT-014 was for me never a great tyre so a real test would be to try the T30 against the likes of the BT-016....i'd love to see a real side by side test of sports vs touring tyres for normal road use that involves cold and wet riding.

The ST tyres now are pretty much all dual compound so its likely the outer sections are a softer compound than the old BT-014 and lets face it , tyre technology is much more advanced now so newer stuff should always offer more to the rider.

Reply to this Topic
nigel100

Jan 05

nigel100 says:

the best yet

I have been riding for nearly 50 years and I also used the metzler z6 for many years and could never find fault , then out of interest tried sportsmarts, which were also very good however the front tyre went out of shape before being worn out, where I live in the pyrenees one wears out 2 front tyres for every rear. I have also tried the bt14 but used to run off the edge of them , it was more touring less sport. So was asked by the local dealer to try the new T30, and wow!!! they stick like the proverbial to a blanket, the only criticism I can give is once again I am running off the edge again , but this time I know I am leaning lower .as the footrests are touching down.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices