You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Front Forks still twisted

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JohnFM

Apr 14

JohnFM says:

Front Forks still twisted

My son had a low side off on his CBF125 whilst on the route home. He had been riding for only 9 days! A kindly fellow stopped by and loaded him onto his van, dropped him off at home.

Lots of scrap plastic and a few bent bits such as the rear brake pedal which were no biggy to sort out.

Seeing as the chap who picked up son works at the local Triumph shop he offered to fix any issues at cost as he took pity on the newbie rider.

6 weeks later and nothing but scratching of heads, even with an ex honda mechanic in their employ they could not sort out the twisted forks "cheaply". From what I could glean that means without any tools or time other than tea break being employed!

Getting it back home, for free which was nice, revealed they had done the square root of nothing to the forks.

Anyway, tightening the fork tree after loosening and straightening does nothing, it'll still twist to the left by just using two fingers.

Triple tree clamps seemed fine but replaced the triple tree clamps with another set and tightened everything up.  It will still twist but far, far less than before and with a lot more effort.  I can't make it twist the other way at all.

Front forks seem fine with absolutely no damage, dings, bent bits or leaks.

Is it the forks that need replacing or servicing?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 203 days ago (06 April 2014 12:44)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
matsui

Nov 11

matsui says:

Twisted front end

Hello mate just had a similar problem with a accident blade i bought,replaced yokes fixed the problem.I bought my yokes on ebay which is a risk but they are straight.Make sure these replacement yokes are straight unless there new ones.I think it can only be bent forks good luck.

Reply to this Topic
JohnFM

Apr 14

JohnFM says:

twisted front end

I find it difficult to believe that both yokes have exactly the same fault so am guestimating I need replacement forks.

Unless anyone else has any better ideas? 

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

bent forks

Whip the forks off, and roll them on a bench....... you'll soon see if they're bent. Check the wheel spindle too... 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Fork brace?

Mild steel lower leg brace under the mudguard - is it intact and still bolted up - maybe it broke?  That and proper clamping of the axle should keep the lowers from rolling around the inners.

Did you replace top yoke, or did you check/swap lower yoke and steerer too?

Reply to this Topic
JohnFM

Apr 14

JohnFM says:

might be the key

It's strange but I'm not awarefof a mild steel brace under the front mudguard.  I can't find any reference to a brace. Is it built into the mudguard itself? 

Reply to this Topic
JohnFM

Apr 14

JohnFM says:

Ah ha!

Ah!  Found it.  The front mudguard does indeed have a brace inside!  The son stripped this bit out, thankfully he kept the bits.  The brace is definately broken, with one bolt lug bent almost straight then broken clean off.

EBay it is then.  Thank you for the help, it stumped me what was missing and it would appear to be the mudguard brace.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices