Skip to content

Ask an Expert fireblade 1000rr-05 suspension Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > fireblade 1000rr-05 suspension

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zakm748

Jun 11

zakm748 says:

fireblade 1000rr-05 suspension

Hi all

I have been riding a 92 cbr 600 for 17 years,just bought
my life long desire, a blade.can not believe just how tight taught and stiff it is.
On run home from buying it could not get it around corners smoothly, more like edges of fifty pence piece.
felt it was fighting me at every turn.
This model has electronic dampener.
Straight line stability is briliant.
could this be suspension set up only?
i weigh less than ten stone.
can anyone help. Thanks:upset:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 168 days ago (07 April 2014 12:56)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Turn-in.

Is the suspension on standard settings? What's the mileage? It could be notchy head bearings or uneven tyre wear. However, I had this same problem when I bought an R1 after having the ZX6R for several years. Eventually I realised that at least part of the problem was the fact that the R1 turn-in is much quicker. It's twitchier. I was riding it like the ol' ZX6. I had to learn to start the turn a bit later, although that's a difficult thing to do.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

corners

I had that problem when I picked up a Fazer 1000,

the tyre pressures were 26 psi.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

First thing to check

Is Tyre Pressures as Jaffa says, all the stuff James mentioned too, then there's always the possibility that you might be adding to the issue?! If you're used to that old CBR600 the jump you've just made is pretty much the equivalent of going from a 125 to your old 600!

Quite possible I may well be barking up the wrong tree here as you're well experienced as a rider but these latest "Hyperbikes" are as sensitive to the "Input" you give as you are to the "Output" it's giving you, as James alluded to it'll take a different style of riding to what you're used to, check you're not tensing up at all!

Could also be a combination of a few of the things mentioned!

As a starting point (after you've checked the tyre pressures) set everything back to factory settings & start from there.

Take your time to get used to it,

Happy Riding! :smile

Reply to this Topic
zakm748

Jun 11

zakm748 says:

1000rr-05 suspension

Very many thanks for hints tips and your own experiences, to james600zx,jaffa90 and amateurcynic.

previous owner assures me settings are std. factory, tyres are pretty new,just had twelve thou service, last month.
Forgot to mention it rained all the way home and you can bet i was very #/,.)*&^%$£g TENSE- Cheers:shock:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

pressures

well what pressures are you using/trying?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Which year? What tyres?

Super sporty tyres in the rain this time of year, staying cold in the rain, coupled with excitement, new bike nerves, and gripping the bars tight?  If all is straight and sweet, think loose as a goose, soft inputs..

You shouldn't feel the HESD damper at low speed, it should be off, bike all sweet and swoopy, but at high speed you'll barely notice it either thanks to front wheel gyro.  If in doubt, try this:

I think that wide open throttle bit is done without starting the engine...

Factory standard settings aren't always right for the bike, or rider, and I don't even think they all come the same out of the box, so may want dialing in, after you get more feel for the thing.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Handling

Hi there,

have you looked at our suspension advice sitcky at the top?

Chris

Reply to this Topic
zakm748

Jun 11

zakm748 says:

1000rr suspension

Hi again Jaffa and thankyou bbstrikesagain.

Running Diablo s Corsa 3 on rear @36 and 42psi.
Only picked it up sat. 5th. has not stopped raining untill right now Tue.1.00. going out now:unsure: Have taken onboard your comments bb. must try harder ( relax ).
Oh yes year of manufacture 05
cheers for now.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

tyres...

Read the second review on here:

In the cold and wet a sports touring tyre would inspire more confidence, but hopefully there's a heatwave coming..

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

^^^^

Heatwave?!?! Don't make me :lol:

All rubbish weather this year is now bb's fault due to excessive optimism!:tongue::winkie: 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices