Skip to content

General Private Selling - Do you allow test rides? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Private Selling - Do you allow test rides?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

scg1889

Dec 08

scg1889 says:

Private Selling - Do you allow test rides?

I'm thinking of selling my bike privately for the first time and wondered what the general rule is regarding allowing test rides as I don't want to see someone riding off into the sunset on it!  When selling privately do people normally expect to be allowed to test ride it given many actual bike showrooms don't even offer test rides?

Appreciate thoughts and comments

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 107 days ago (07 April 2014 16:24)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

The full asking price (cash) in my hand

a driving license ID and at least 3 party cover before anyone rides my bike.

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

^^^..

What Preunit said...  :biggrin: or No.. "Look with your eyes and not your hands" as my mum would say..:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
weewes

Sep 03

weewes says:

mother's saying.

Your mother is a very wise woman, however I think a local saying we have is "seeing is believing but feeling is the God's own truth"

Weewes

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Weewes..

The Irish are wise indeed...  :biggrin:

"Its the quite pig that eats the meal":smile  ...

Reply to this Topic
gungerdin8

Feb 11

gungerdin8 says:

Totally not dude

Just imagine me screaming ya pride n joy round the block on valve bounce :ph43r:

Don't do it dude :roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

Cash in your hand and you brake it you buy it.

i will not buy a bike i cant test right with that being a £500 or £5000 bike

Reply to this Topic
outlookexcess

Sep 12

Contrary to popular belief

Having the cash in your hand does not entitle you to keep all, or part of it in any circumstances,

If your potential buyer asks for his / her money back, even if they have crashed your bike, and you refuse to hand it over, you are breaking the law and can be prosecuted.

Your test pilot needs to have adequate insurance cover, but bear in mind that many policies do not cover you to ride any bike by default.

Those that do, tend to only offer third party liability.

If your test pilot is not covered to ride another bike under the terms of their policy, and they get caught, you are just as culpable as them and will be prosecuted.

Make sure they have fully comp cover to ride another bike.

That's the only way you are protected against damage.

Yep, it's a mine field.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
scg1889

Dec 08

scg1889 says:

thanks

thanks guys it's a tricky one, want to maximise the chance of selling and i'd certainly want to test ride if I was the one buying but don't want anyone binning it or absconding and I doubt hardly any insurance allow people fully comp on other bikes its usually 3rd party as you say outlookexcess.

It's so much easier in a car where you could just give them a dead leg if they were driving like a dick :smile

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

If Mr BB

is selling a bike and they ask for a test ride then they have to ride pillion .  He will take them on a short ride covering a bit of everything and job done.

Otherwise not on your nelly.  Most people are Ok with this anyway, if you don't know what to look at when buying second hand take someone with you who does.

We've always kept in touch with buyers as well so if they do have a problem in the first couple of months then if i a problem  crops up it can be sorted 

One guy in particular quite recently bought one off Mr BB and crashed it in the first month, nothing too horrendous but he called to say what he'd done and asked if Paul could fix it for him .  It was fixed quite easily and the chap has visited on a number of occasions and he gets it serviced  as well :-)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices