Skip to content

General were the eu bike laws ever passed? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > were the eu bike laws ever passed?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

were the eu bike laws ever passed?

hi all 

me and my wife are going to be riding from france to denmark and would like to now if any of those new eu laws were ever passed that we we would need to know about?? 

thanks sean 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 165 days ago (08 April 2014 20:25)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Which ones....?

in particular.....?

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

laws

on the continent....... ride on the wrong side of the road...dont speed...dont use a speed camera detection device..owt else?

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

French road laws

Much better still get the ferry from Ramsgate to Ooestende and miss out France completely which is where most of the draconian laws are now.

In france it's illegal to filter, you supposedly have to have reflective strips on your helmet even though helmet manufacturers say it could damage the integrity of the helmet, Drink driving limits are quite low (ie 1 glass of wine is likely to put you over the limit),  breathelysers aren't now required, You need to have ALL your docs (both parts of licence, log book, insurance, MOT etc) as you can be fined for each missing document, Supposedly you also need a GB sticker on the back of the bike, radar detection equipment will get you in lots of trouble with the french plod and speeding fines have jumped up significantly (31mph over the limit and you could be looking at prison), Hi-viz jackets aren't required if you're on a bike but replacement headlight bulbs are. In themselves most of these rules aren't problems but the french police have been heavy handed in stopping people and going through their stuff to find out if they can fine them for something. Additionally toll roads in france can become very very expensive as there's numerous tolls around city ring roads aswell as the tolls on roads between cities.

I went touring around france on my bike about 8-10 years ago but wouldn't consider it nowadays.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

Spondonste

''It's illegal to filter in France''.

I think someone should tell all those biker's on the Peripherique?? that.
I drive through France at least twice a year, sometimes in the Porky. I can tell you i don't hang about, yet to date no issues. Lucky, maybe.:blink:

PS. I do carry all the correct doc'c and kit.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i never had a gb stick on my old bike but my fit one on my new one going to carry bulbs ect happy you dont need that hi vis rubbish. it will be my wifes 1st time in frances ect as she is going to pass her test get a bigger bike and have a nice trip up there as its only about 800miles.

thanks for the info.

Reply to this Topic
ranorthe

Jul 10

ranorthe says:

S'Ok

I've been the last 2 years running.
Bulb kit, Documents, warning triangle, GB sticker on your number plate.
Don't speed, don't drink and don't ride like a tw*t - you'll have a cracking good time. The French love bikes and bikers, the police have always been very polite and helpful.
I once went to Mont St. Michelle and there was a protest blocking the road - I filtered to the front of the queue of cars and the Police there told me to ride (slowly) through the protestors. I did and the protestors opened up a path and applauded me as I went through :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices