Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

asteronnelar

Mar 12

asteronnelar says:

Hard Panniers

Hi everyone,

I am planning on touring around Europe this summer and I currently have soft panniers for my Suzuki 650 bandit SA 2006.

However, for space and security I am thinking of getting hard panniers. I am feeling lost in this new world of hard luggage...

My concern is how the panniers fitting system works. Is there a lot of difference in the 2007 panniers rack for the bandit?

If I did end up getting the monokey rack, is it just this and the panniers themselves I need to purchase?

Thanks for any advice!

A

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 105 days ago (09 April 2014 17:46)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
yanky192

Mar 13

yanky192 says:

hard luggage

hi bud , this can be a bit confusing but it all depends which company you want to go with ie givi , shad etc givi do bike specific racks for your bike dont let this confuse you as its just a rack thats built for your bike from there you need to decide what type of top box you will buy , you will find the give monolock top boxes are the smaller and single shell ones holda 1 helmet  , the monokey ones is the stronger and double shell ones and more expensive  and usualy hold 2 helmets ,  in between the top box and the rack is the plate there are 2 types of plate simple because there are 2 types of top boxes monokey and monorack  m5 is for monokey so you buy the plate to go with the top box £35 and the m5m is for the monolock , phone a suzuki dealer to see if there is a difference between the 06 and 07 as flea buy has a rack and plate , you cant beat second hane , hope this helps bud .

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Givi

You need to buy the Wingrack + the fitting kit which is specific to your bike + the boxes (Panniers and/or topbox) to complete the set.

The wingrack and boxes are universal so you can keep them if you sell the bike and fit them to your next bike. The fitting kit is the only bit that is specific to your bike.

Reply to this Topic
asteronnelar

Mar 12

asteronnelar says:

cheers!

Thanks to both of you, that is very helpful! 

It never occurred to me to look at luggage other than givi. So the other companies have different wingracks then? 

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Luggage

Givi and Kappa are interchangeable. You can put Nonfango luggage on Givi racks but they require modifying, and you can no longer get NEW Nonfango stuff.

If you want to save money, look at used kit. I got a pair of 36litre panniers for £200. If you decide touring isn't for you, you can always sell the kit on. If you've bought it used in the first place, then you won't lose much, if any, money.

Alternatively, you can get cheap chinese copies which aren't too bad for the money.

Chinese copy of a Givi box.

Best thing would be to look on ebay to familiarise yourself with the different Givi box models/names.

MONOKEY and MONOLOCK are not interchangeable.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Hard luggage

I recommend BMW panniers - the only downside is cost as you have to bike the bike to go with them! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reply to this Topic
asteronnelar

Mar 12

asteronnelar says:

Panniers

@Marcus, if only I could afford a BMW and all my problems would be solved!

I have now been looking at the givi monokey e41 and they seem great... but I hit a snag. The wonderful people at givi and kappa don't do a luggage rack for the ABS version of my bike. So looks like it is either the costly SW-motech rack or I'm sticking to the wonderful soft luggage.

Thanks for all the advice peeps!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices