You are in... Forums > General > General > Second bike advice

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Baver96

Mar 14

Baver96 says:

Second bike advice

So I'm 17 and I've been riding for a few months and in that time I have really gotten into it! I love riding, even just getting up to go to work makes it that bit more worthwhile. I'm hoping to do my A2 next year but I don't know which bike to get...

My current bike is a Lexmoto xtrs 125. a cheap CBR replica, it does the job but I want something with a bit more power and I'll have a bit more money to spend too. I really like sports bikes and want to get one for my next bike. I know the A2 license doesn't allow me to get too much but there are still some good bikes. How would something like a Ninja 300 be? Does it have a real noticeable difference or should I look at something like the CBR 500?

Thanks!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 161 days ago (11 April 2014 10:32)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Beefy1902

Feb 14

Beefy1902 says:

Bikes that suit restrictions

Hi mate

I would go for a decent sized engined bike and get it restricted, that way when you get to the stage of being allowed to ride whatever BHP you want, you will not need to buy a new bike :)

The Honda Hornet and Kwasaki ER6 both suit being restricted and still run well (some bikes run like bags of nails with the kit fitted). Plus they are both good fun, quick, look good and plenty extras to buy / modifications etc to keep you loving the bike.

Happy hunting and stay safe :)

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

biased

i am completly biased but what about the ktm duke 390

44bhp tho

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Baver....

I was talking to a 17 year old lad the other day who rides a CBF125.......he is looking at getting an NC700 next....I've ridden one, they are very easy to ride but quite heavy, if it were me I'd look at the MT07 .......not too sure of all the rules and regs...( old duffer me).... Whatever you decide on....just enjoy it.....nice to hear from someone from your age group btw.:smile

Reply to this Topic
Baver96

Mar 14

Baver96 says:

!

Thanks all! Of course, it's great to be about the forum, some really great advice about it! I was thinking about getting the a bike I could use after I get a full category A license and getting it restricted, but I too had heard that in can really make the bikes performance terrible!

I'm finishing my A-Levels up at the moment and really I just commute to work, gym and college. Not sure what I'll do after getting my A-Levels but I want something a little bit more pokey than what I have now but something that I can afford to buy, insure and run. I was worried that I'd buy a 300 or something and very soon start wishing I waited to splash out cash on an R6 or ZX6R when I can go unrestricted...

If I'm not busy I spent half my time drooling over bikes! :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

A2 rules

47bhp or under, or a restricted bike to 47bhp but not one with a claimed horsepower above 95bhp.

Quite a few options. Restricted SV650s, Hornets, CB500s or 600s abd the like all good.

But if you want sports-bike, you're better off IMO with a ninja 300, CBR250 or similar. I went SR125 to GPX250R (39bhp sports tourer parallel twin clipped to 33bhp when that was the limit). Did 3 and a bit years on the GPX before upgrading to a 600. Rode all sorts of roads including motorway "triangles" from Uni in staffs to girlfirends in Essex to parents in Middlesbrough. Bike handled it all and I learned to ride corners properly without an abundance of power to hide my missed gears etc.

Just my thoughts on the matter, mind.

You might also wanna consider the Duke 390 or even a Chinese 250 supermoto (no, I'm not kidding - decent warrenty, not bad power for a 250 [but stay off motorway], and cheap to buy and run - and no longer poorly built). These'd give small sporties a run for the money, but won't have the sports style.

Reply to this Topic
Baver96

Mar 14

Baver96 says:

Cheers

Some good advice there too! I think the licensing for bikes in the UK are a bit silly to be honest, I just don't want to buy a 300 or whatever for 19-21 then decide I want a 600 after only having the other bike for two years... Can't imagine I would ever need a litre bike, 600s have more than enough power!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

^^^^^^

You can never have too much power !:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
ranorthe

Jul 10

ranorthe says:

Restrict a big bike

A bigger bike (500cc or more) restricted is a much better bet than a 250 or 300cc. The limit is on power not on torque and torque is what carries you up the hills.
On the smaller engined bikes you'll spend all day revving the sh*t out of them just to keep up with traffic, a bigger restricted engine will let you slog away at lower revs and it'll be a much more enjoyable experience.
Also as stated, when you've waited out your power limit you can just derestrict it.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Hey,

I like revving the whee out a small bike, especially at the track.

Reply to this Topic
Baver96

Mar 14

Baver96 says:

True

I've been looking at the CBR 500R, looks like it has some good reviews out there and it isn't so ridiculously powerful either, seems to be a good option for the A2 license and then I can keep it for a couple of years until I decide to go to a 600+!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices