Skip to content

Discuss This Texas MotoGP: Marquez wins, Dovi on the podium, Cal injured in dramatic Texas race MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Texas MotoGP: Marquez wins, Dovi on the podium, Cal injured in dramatic Texas race

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Simon Patterson  says:

Texas MotoGP: Marquez wins, Dovi on the podium, Cal injured in dramatic Texas race

Marc Marquez has stormed to victory with ease at the Circuit of the Americas, in a race where he was overshadowed by the action taking place behind him, as drama unfolded across the grid; the reigning world champion rode a flawless race to the win. The first drama of the race happened before the flag even dropped, with a huge jump...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 131 days ago (13 April 2014 21:22)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Judas13

Jan 14

Judas13 says:

Tyres

Bradl, Rossi, Redding, Crutchlow, Hayden, Espargaro, Iannone.

Different bikes, diferent speeds, different styles, but all with tyre problems. Another Bridgestone lottery by the sounds of it.

Reply to this Topic
DeGrasse

Aug 13

DeGrasse says:

Judas13

Not too different compared to the RCs, considering Bradl finished 4th with 7th best lap time. Obviously it doesn't look good but in this case, how come that nor Pedrosa nor Marquez complained about it?
I think the guys who have issues have a chassis/set up or/and style that is not working the tyre the way it likes, it's not a good tyre but it works for those who use it the way it needs, at least, Smith says he can go around it by changing weight load from end to end.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BarkerBill

Feb 12

BarkerBill says:

Heho Witless

For you to speak of class, sir, merely confirms your crushing ignorance. Further, The Scarlet Pimpleneck who grabbed 3rd will have shot his powder now.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

God knows

what is going on with the tyres, and things are further confused by Dorna changing their mind, having directed Bridgestone relatively recently to produce tyres that wore out as with F1 tyres at the time to improve the spectacle. 

It was said pre-race that 2013 tyres would be used at COTA, with the not very convincing explanation that there were insufficient 2014 tyres, and it has been said they are looking at re-formulating the 2014 tyre anyway. The PI tyre debacle was not all that many races ago either.

A wider range of tyre choices to suit different bikes and riding styles would seem in order, but if Bridgestone have no competition, conflicting instructions and are providing tyres for free or close to free, then the tyre situation is perhaps not very surprising, and the control tyre is looking very much like a false economy.

I doubt Rossi has developed a propensity to wear out tyres in 8 laps after all these years, so I would be looking for factors external to him, but I am not quite sure how occurrences in this race  fit in with opinions expressed as facts about tyres being saved by sliding or Jorge's purported wrecking of the Yamaha chassis geometry being more influential than the talent and endeavour of the bloke riding the lead HRC bike or the engine the Honda engineers have come up with.  

Tech 3 bikes seemed to perform well so perhaps Yamaha are on the right track for the next formula.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

You're quite right our resident door knocker

Class A c0ck up by the Terrapin. Didn't get his set-up right and didn't test the tyre durability sufficiently when the warning signs where there in practice.

But then how many realistically expected him to back up the Qatar race, or expect 2014 to be different to 2013?

Dovi looked good. He could turn the thing too. Then again, at 20 seconds adrift.....

Jorge - what a monumental fü€k up, backed-up up with an equally feeble excuse.

Jeez I hope they can get Spies in that commentary box a few more times this season. The voice of sense,  understanding and insight.

Reply to this Topic
luckofthewelsh

Oct 13

Spies in the box

You are right Nostro, Spies was fantastic in the commentary box! His insight was a real highlight of the weekend for me, I hope they can get him to do the same at (least) Indy!

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Mills you phoney, don't come on here giving it the large one..

..you've shown on more than one occasion you ain't got the balls to back it up!

..you're just a scared little boy playing a man's game.  

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Andrew was lucky...

..Crutchlow had him before his tyres went off and he had Rossi and Lorenzo's misfortune to gift him the podium...

..He rode well and took his chance, but nothing to get too excited about.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Mills..

..you gonna bite little doggy?

Reply to this Topic
ElDiabolico

Jul 13

ElDiabolico says:

deGrasse

I think you are mixing things here and in this case it goes beyond chassis geometry or loads...

you state: "Considering Bradl finish, it could simply be the tyre characteristics IF he doesn't load the front as much as Pedrosa and Marquez (just a suggestion)".

In this case, not loading the front tyre should reduce the working temperature and therefore the level of degradation... If the problem lies on the life cycles of the tyre (how many times it can be heated and cooled down) thats a different story but I strongly believe that it has more to do with tyre manufacturing consistency (see quality management = higher costs) than setup as the Circuit of the Americas is very quick with high levels of abbrasion so no cooling times there...

As Judas says "Different bikes, diferent speeds, different styles, but all with tyre problems. Another Bridgestone lottery by the sounds of it." and I have been stating since the beginning, watching the race yesterday was a lottery...

I really hope that the riders make an issue out of it so Bridgestone gets its s**t together and we see more fairplay.

ps. All orange fanboys, what would you say if on the next race it is MM that faces tyre issues? That Rossi as Bridgestone employee sent him a "special delivery" (by the way go MM!)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices