Skip to content

Discuss This Turbos or superchargers: Which are you most excited about? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Turbos or superchargers: Which are you most excited about?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Turbos or superchargers: Which are you most excited about?

Turbos and Superchargers are set to make a comeback on motorcycles, with Suzuki's Recursion concept looking most likely to be the first to bring the turbo back, and Kawasaki looking close to releasing a supercharged Ninja. But which are you most excited about?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 107 days ago (16 April 2014 09:11)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pete7k

May 11

pete7k says:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH EFFICIENCY

I know little of the detail of forced induction methods but  find it strange that your question implies that to utilise these system for efficiency is nothing to get excited about.

Given that

1. even the UK seems bored with massive over-performing bike sthat are un usable on the road 

2. more effivciency means lower costs and hence more  miles  

3. more turbo/supercharged performance just seems nonsensical when most riders dfo not use 30% of the power of hyper-sports bikes 

Why does MCN not accept that many year round rider may indeed get excited about design features that make a bike more useable or cheaper?

Until then, I cannot vote on the 3 options posted ...

Pete

Reply to this Topic
pete7k

May 11

pete7k says:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH EFFICIENCY

I know little of the detail of forced induction methods but  find it strange that your question implies that to utilise these system for efficiency is nothing to get excited about.

Given that

1. even the UK seems bored with massive over-performing bike sthat are un usable on the road 

2. more effivciency means lower costs and hence more  miles  

3. more turbo/supercharged performance just seems nonsensical when most riders dfo not use 30% of the power of hyper-sports bikes 

Why does MCN not accept that many year round rider may indeed get excited about design features that make a bike more useable or cheaper?

Until then, I cannot vote on the 3 options posted ...

Pete

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

"Unuseable on the road"

.........WTF are you on about.......... 200bhp is Boring...... give me a bike with 300bhp and I might be happy....... If you want less power that's fine.......... but when I was 16 .....105 bhp was deemed as Obscene.......I'm ready for the next level .............

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

+1 Pete

I have a Ford Focus "ecoboost" - a 1 litre tripple with a turbo. Ford reckons it matches a normal aspirated 1.6 four. I can't speak to that but it is faster than my lighter 1.4l Fiesta and I don't reckon it costs any more in fuel neither.

The whole consumption thing should be being championed by MCN not derided. The bike industry needs more core sales. This means getting commuters. Bikes outperform cars for consumption becuase a) they filter so have less time doing precisely 0mpg; and b) if you rode your bike like one of those uber-efficient cars (in 0-60s, etc) you'd kick their ass in mpgs. BUT, only bikers know this. The others see "100mpg" car adverts, so the bike industry needs to respond in kind.

And why would you find a turbo-blade dull just because the turbo only doubled the time between forecourt visits?

Oh, and if you want 500bhp from a turbo, you can already buy the necessary.

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

I am with other posters on this - WHY ? . Bikes are reliable ,fast enough ,some are even good on fuel ,so in our present time with number plate recognition ,c.c.t.v. camera"s and the anti - hooligan element in every law abiding car driver ,AND our very existance being watched & disliked by most E.U. politicians - why give them more ammunition against bikes & bikers ? . These bikes would have been O.K. a few years ago or perhaps by bikers abroad but we are too close to being the next  nanny state casualty ,so no thanks ! .

Reply to this Topic
Alec83

Apr 14

Alec83 says:

Loaded question!

I think the question kinda steers people to think superchargers are the way to go, due to the turbo option mentioning something negative (the bad old ones) and the supercharger being "the only way to go!" Did Vladimir Putin word the question? ;)

That said, a compressor with linear delivery proportional to engine speed is the way to go. Let's shrink these engines down and make them more efficient. We clearly don't need more power, since bikes like the ZZR1400 and S1000 have well and truly cornered that market. A sports tourer would be a good home for a compressor, I think. Smaller, more fuel efficient engines for long distance, with maybe a switch to turn from touring to sport fuelling mode???

Reply to this Topic
pogo_it

Jul 05

pogo_it says:

Both please! Lancia delta s4 style for fun, and in any combination to improve efficiency, after all a 400cc with the power and torgque characteristics of a much larger engine would be fun, and have lower road tax

Reply to this Topic
bikemad123

Mar 09

bikemad123 says:

i thought years ago they stopped producing the turbo/charger cos of the harsher more unpredictable/unusable power delivery, NA were just as quick if not quicker an more reliable, as a result they didn't sell, but my god would I love to see a zx10 turbo just not sure if id like to ride it, and where would you be able to use it!

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

I'd love to have a light weight sports touring bike that has big bike performance and comfort complete with great fuel consumption and low running costs. The Holy Grail?

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

A turbo diesel is the way I would like sports tourer engines to go, but it seems manufacturers are loath to bring one out. I think one of them should, just to test the water, I mean they are well and truly established in the car world, the technology is there, Audi even have a winner with their 24 hour race cars so come on, whats  stopping them? If a 1200 turbo diesel tourer came out that cruised at 100 mph and did 80 mpg, they wouldn't be able to sell them fast enough!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices